    to NTL Broadband.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    JJ
    John \O\, Jan 13, 2004

  2. John \O\

    Night_Seer Guest

    John "O" wrote:
    > Hi, I am in the process of setting up a wireless network within the
    > home and just wondered on what Wireless kits are fast, reliable and
    > also value for money.
    >
    > I'll be connecting up 2x Dell Latitude Laptops and am currently
    > subscribed to NTL Broadband.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > JJ

    I have used only one so far, and its given me very few problems (the
    occasional rest is necessary) it is a Link-Sys

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004

  3. John \O\

    Bill Nathan Guest

    Buy wireless router and a PCMIA network card for the laptops. Then run the
    software.

    Bill Nathan, Jan 14, 2004
  4. John \O\

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Bill Nathan" <> wrote in

    > Buy wireless router and a PCMIA network card for the laptops. Then run
    > the software.

    Nice and vague. I think the OP wanted brands to buy.

    I've never had a problem with my Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point. It's
    made to be plugged into an existing network though. If you don't have a
    network yet, get a linksys wireless router

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 14, 2004
  5. John \O\

    John \O\ Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Bill Nathan" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Buy wireless router and a PCMIA network card for the laptops. Then run
    > > the software.

    > Nice and vague. I think the OP wanted brands to buy.
    >
    > I've never had a problem with my Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point.

    It's
    > made to be plugged into an existing network though. If you don't have a
    > network yet, get a linksys wireless router
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    Thanks for your replies to which would like to ask is there mush of a
    difference (speed, frequencies) regarding the types of PCMCIA cards I should
    purchase .....I guess I'm trying to ask the difference between IEEE 802.11g
    & IEEE 802.11b. Is that much of a difference ??

    JJ
    John \O\, Jan 14, 2004
  6. John \O\

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "John \"O\"" <> wrote in

    > Thanks for your replies to which would like to ask is there mush of a
    > difference (speed, frequencies) regarding the types of PCMCIA cards I
    > should purchase .....I guess I'm trying to ask the difference between
    > IEEE 802.11g & IEEE 802.11b. Is that much of a difference ??

    I believe 802.11g is like 54Mbps or something, 802.11b is only 11Mbps. You
    won't notice a difference listening to MP3s from a remote machine or
    surfing the net, but if you transfer large files (like videos), you will be
    hurting with only 802.11b

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 14, 2004
  7. John \O\

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "John \"O\"" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks for your replies to which would like to ask is there mush of a
    >> difference (speed, frequencies) regarding the types of PCMCIA cards I
    >> should purchase .....I guess I'm trying to ask the difference between
    >> IEEE 802.11g & IEEE 802.11b. Is that much of a difference ??
    >>

    > I believe 802.11g is like 54Mbps or something, 802.11b is only
    > 11Mbps. You won't notice a difference listening to MP3s from a
    > remote machine or surfing the net, but if you transfer large files
    > (like videos), you will be hurting with only 802.11b

    Be advised that this relates to transfering files between two computers
    in your home, because getting stuff from the internet will never exceed
    at most 3Mbps, and more than likely is in the 768Kbps to 1.5 Mbps range.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004
  8. John \O\

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in news:j8ednZb-
    :

    > Be advised that this relates to transfering files between two computers
    > in your home, because getting stuff from the internet will never exceed
    > at most 3Mbps, and more than likely is in the 768Kbps to 1.5 Mbps range.

    Yes, as I said, for web surfing you won't notice a difference. But I don't
    know how many times I've wanted to transfer a TV capture to my laptop for
    showing at school and it's a 650MB file, and I just get fed up with doing
    it wirelessly and I plug it into the network with a cable just so it gets
    done like 5 times faster.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 14, 2004
  9. I personnaly use B. I am about the only person whose ISP is fast enough for
    the wireless speed to make a difference (we get 6Mbps!!!). However unless
    you try to share files directly between two machine on your network
    frequently, G doesn't seem like a needed investment. File sharing while not
    snappy is fine for data/pictures/MP3's on B. But check your phones first.
    2.4 Ghz. phones = Trouble with B or G.

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 16, 2004
  10. John \O\

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "John \"O\"" <> wrote in

    > Hi, I am in the process of setting up a wireless network within the
    > home and just wondered on what Wireless kits are fast, reliable and
    > also value for money.
    >
    > I'll be connecting up 2x Dell Latitude Laptops and am currently
    > subscribed to NTL Broadband.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > JJ

    My advise here is don't go to a complete wireless setup. You should have
    one machine that is wired. The wireless network does present some
    challenges at times on the connectivity.

    The second thing you should consider is that wireless technology is
    constantly changing with the security aspects of protecting the air
    waves, from WEP to WAP. What's going to be next, as it will be changing
    again? You can bet on it.

    With all the wireless logic firmware wise being used, it leaves little
    room for the protection of network which the wireless router should
    provide, because after all the router will be connected to a Broadband
    cable modem and attacks will come from that side as well, if you choose
    to go in that direction.

    Maybe, you should look into getting a wired router that has some more
    bells on the security of the network in general and get a stand alone
    wireless AP to plug into the wired router.

    That way, as the technology of wireless changes, you will have a solid
    security situation for the network in general, but you will be able to
    move on the wireless side with using an AP and moving to better models if
    need be.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 16, 2004
  11. John \O\

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > I personnaly use B. I am about the only person whose ISP is fast
    > enough for the wireless speed to make a difference (we get 6Mbps!!!).
    > However unless you try to share files directly between two machine on
    > your network frequently, G doesn't seem like a needed investment.
    > File sharing while not snappy is fine for data/pictures/MP3's on B.
    > But check your phones first.
    > 2.4 Ghz. phones = Trouble with B or G.
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in news:j8ednZb-
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Be advised that this relates to transfering files between two
    >>> computers in your home, because getting stuff from the internet
    >>> will never exceed at most 3Mbps, and more than likely is in the
    >>> 768Kbps to 1.5 Mbps range.
    >>>

    >> Yes, as I said, for web surfing you won't notice a difference. But
    >> I don't know how many times I've wanted to transfer a TV capture to
    >> my laptop for showing at school and it's a 650MB file, and I just
    >> get fed up with doing it wirelessly and I plug it into the network
    >> with a cable just so it gets done like 5 times faster.
    >>
    >> --
    >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    >> website: under construction
    >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    >> email/IM for rates/services

    Also Microwaves can interrupt a connection when running.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 16, 2004