    Please tell me what I can uncheck/check on my LT settings to make it safer-
    Windows Xp home Sp2-windows firewall, antivirus & spyware security installed
    Thanks in advance!
    Cynanthis, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Not sure what LT settings are. But if you enable the SP2 firewall with no
    exceptions, you effectively block incoming connections.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Cynanthis" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, we have been going to a study group at one of the group members
    > house.She has wireless in her home. Many of us bring our Laptops and are
    > able to aquire her wireless signal (unsecured Linksys) without needing to
    > use a password;and without fuss.
    > Although, the people in our group seem to be decent and all; Still, what

    can

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jun 14, 2006

  3. Hi
    If you would have Wireless security On it would not matter for this purpose.
    Wireless security is Not a traffic password into the computer, it just
    allows Wireless Logon to the Wireless Router, what you are afraid of is
    invasion through File Sharing.
    So unbind File sharing for the duration that you are there.
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/Wireless1.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 14, 2006
  4. In addition to the others suggestions I usually surf the internet,
    send/receive email, etc while at unsecured wireless hotspots through a VPN
    tunnel back to my home LAN and my personal ISP. All traffic is encrypted by
    the tunnel so I am safe from snooping.

    Of course you need to setup a VPN server at home in order to do this.
    Personally I use OpenVPN running on an XP Pro box at home as my VPN server.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 14, 2006
  5. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > In addition to the others suggestions I usually surf the internet,
    > send/receive email, etc while at unsecured wireless hotspots through a VPN
    > tunnel back to my home LAN and my personal ISP. All traffic is encrypted
    > by the tunnel so I am safe from snooping.

    You know, while that sounds good and I am not putting down that suggestion,
    it is getting to the point there where I would say that if I know I will
    need to access an open wi-fi hotspot when out and I am that worried about
    hacking then I wouldn't keep any data of any consequence on the computer.
    Eg, if there is nothing there worth stealing, does it matter if someone sees
    what you are doing? Face it - anyone can walk up behind you without you
    seeing them and look over your shoulder, too! :)
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jun 15, 2006