    What am I doing wrong ?
    Thanks
    WM
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=, Jan 15, 2006

  2. "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am trying to set up WPA PSK security on a home network using
    > XP Pro SP1 clients and a netgear DG834GT wireless router. I have
    > the wireless settings, including a key, set in the router's
    > configuration. When I then set up the clients, as soon as I
    > reenter the key to confirm I get the following error: "Network
    > password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network
    > configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters
    > or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters".
    > What am I doing wrong ?
    > Thanks
    > WM

    Suggests that the client PC doesn't support WPA. XP only supports
    WPA after you have installed either the Q815485 download or Service
    Pack 2 - which includes same.

    Even then, your clients' wireless adapter hardware may not support
    WPA.
    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Jan 15, 2006

  3. Correction, the clients are all up to date with SP2

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=, Jan 15, 2006
  4. "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=" <> wrote in
    > Correction, the clients are all up to date with SP2

    OK. What about my other suggestion:

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Jan 15, 2006
  5. Hmm - At the risk of asking a stupid question....the clients are all fairly
    recently bought, within the last two years, I would have thought that they
    would support WPA. Other than checking the manufacturers web site is there an
    easy way to find out ?
    Thanks
    WAM

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=, Jan 16, 2006
  6. "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=" <> wrote in

    > Hmm - At the risk of asking a stupid question....the clients are
    > all fairly recently bought, within the last two years, I would
    > have thought that they would support WPA. Other than checking
    > the manufacturers web site is there an easy way to find out ?
    > Thanks
    > WAM

    I don't know of any way of checking hardware compatibility other than
    via mfr specs.

    BTW: Another variable is the mfr's driver version.
    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Jan 16, 2006