Wireless Security question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jefferis NoSpamme, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. My daughter has a roommate and was told by her that she cannot have wireless
    because of security concerns:

    > Joan has a cable modem, so Josh bought me a wireless router to replace her
    > standard one so that I could have access to the internet. Joan left me a
    > note (before she went on her cruise) that she couldnt have wireless b/c she
    > works from home sometimes and for security purposes. But, she works on a lap
    > top that doesnt have wireless installed. Now doesnt it work that if you dont
    > have wireless then you are just connected through the router to the cable
    > modem. Dont you actually have to have wireless capabilities or is it that
    > b/c the router is sending off wireless signals that it makes the whole
    > network insecure?

    There would be two machines, my daughter's wireless laptop and her
    roommate's ethernet connected laptop - both to a wireless router to cable
    modem. Question is, because of wireless signal, can the ethernet laptop be
    compromised?

    I know you can get into a wireless router but if security is turned on can
    you breach the wireless wall and get over to the other computer via the
    ethernet on the router hub

    Thanks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
    Web Design and Marketing
    http://www.PetersonSales.com
    Jefferis NoSpamme, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Jefferis NoSpamme

    peter Guest

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101379.asp
    The article is netgear related but it does explain how to setup security on your
    wireless/wired router so that only you have access.Or in your daughters case so
    that only her and her roommates computer has access to the router and its
    connections.
    peter

    peter, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Jefferis NoSpamme

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Quote: "I know you can get into a wireless router but if security is turned
    on can
    you breach the wireless wall and get over to the other computer via the
    Ethernet on the router hub".

    If the Wireless security is bridged, Yes it is possible (depending on how
    the sharing between the two computers are configured)

    However millions of people use Wireless. With right setting and some
    knowledge and care it is Not such a "Terrible Problem".

    May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Thanks guys!
    Jeff

    On 12/9/04 7:11 PM, in article 1R5ud.37885$6f6.30821@edtnps89, "peter"
    <> wrote:

    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101379.asp
    > The article is netgear related but it does explain how to setup security on
    > your
    > wireless/wired router so that only you have access.Or in your daughters case
    > so

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
    Web Design and Marketing
    http://www.PetersonSales.com
    Jefferis NoSpamme, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Jefferis NoSpamme

    Guest Guest

    Couple 'o thoughts:

    Perhaps there's more to Joan's concerns than the OP is aware. "She works
    from home". Is there some requirement with her employer that precludes a
    wireless environment? Who's paying for the internet connection? Why can't
    the daughter use a wired connection?

    No offense to the parties involved, but the nature of the question seems to
    demonstrate a lack of security savvy. Why open up that can of worms if it's
    not necessary? Particularly if it involves someone's livelihood.

    Pete

    Guest, Dec 11, 2004
  6. My daughter's roommate has the cable connection in her room, so the router
    would have to go there. I don't know about the security requirement from the
    employer, so that question is being asked. The apartment is rented so they
    just can't knock holes in the wall to run Ethernet cable.
    The rest is up to my daughter :)
    I provided her with the solutions and security options. You are right, my
    daughter's boyfriend can take care of the setup, but the problem may be the
    roommate's lack of savvy: "I don't understand it at all so we'd better not
    do it."
    They both pay for the cable for TV. My daughter has dial up now, so I think
    she'd pay for the cable modem too 50/50 if allowed to use it.
    Jeff

    Jefferis NoSpamme, Dec 11, 2004