Wireless Security Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by General Specific, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. We set up a wireless network in our new office.

    Everything was up an running until we set up wireless encryption.

    We set up an encryption passphrase in the Linksys wireless router, and
    figured it would be easy to set up the network pcs to use that passphrase.

    Didn't work. We went into the wireless setup on each machine, selected the
    protocol and entered the passphrase in the box. When it wouldn't connect,
    we opened the settings screen and found that while the entered passphrase
    had 15 characters, the box now showed only 6 greyed characters (dots).

    So we decided to check the settings on the router and it wouldn't allow us
    access to the admin screen. I connected using a laptop using cat5 and a
    switch and it wouldn't accept connection using the IP address.

    I eventually had to reset the router using the recessed button.

    Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.

    Can anyone offer suggestions?

    Anyone know of a good web site dealing with wireless security?

    General Specific, Jan 5, 2005

  2. General Specific

    David Guest

    Go into the wireless setting web page on the
    main computer (http://192.168.0.1)
    Write down the wep key (not the web passphrase).
    Enter wep key on the wireless computers.
    Should work now.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave

    David, Jan 5, 2005

  3. General Specific

    claudel Guest

    In article <Xns95D581B4BAF98aaa@207.106.92.226>,
    General Specific <> wrote:
    >We set up a wireless network in our new office.
    >
    >Everything was up an running until we set up wireless encryption.
    >
    >We set up an encryption passphrase in the Linksys wireless router, and
    >figured it would be easy to set up the network pcs to use that passphrase.
    >
    >Didn't work. We went into the wireless setup on each machine, selected the
    >protocol and entered the passphrase in the box. When it wouldn't connect,
    >we opened the settings screen and found that while the entered passphrase
    >had 15 characters, the box now showed only 6 greyed characters (dots).
    >
    >So we decided to check the settings on the router and it wouldn't allow us
    >access to the admin screen. I connected using a laptop using cat5 and a
    >switch and it wouldn't accept connection using the IP address.
    >
    >I eventually had to reset the router using the recessed button.
    >

    >Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.
    >

    >Can anyone offer suggestions?

    When I last set up encryption on a Linksys wireless router I ran
    into a similar problem. For some reason typing the passphrase on
    the client wouldn't take. I wound up having to hardwire each client
    to the router temporarily and cut&paste the passphrase from the
    router to the client for it to work...

    Haven't the first clue what was actually happening, but that little
    dance worked for me

    >Anyone know of a good web site dealing with wireless security?

    Good luck

    Claude

    claudel, Jan 5, 2005
  4. General Specific

    claudel Guest

    In article <crh9pl$mur$>,
    claudel <> wrote:
    >In article <Xns95D581B4BAF98aaa@207.106.92.226>,
    >General Specific <> wrote:
    >>We set up a wireless network in our new office.
    >>
    >>Everything was up an running until we set up wireless encryption.
    >>
    >>We set up an encryption passphrase in the Linksys wireless router, and
    >>figured it would be easy to set up the network pcs to use that passphrase.
    >>
    >>Didn't work. We went into the wireless setup on each machine, selected the
    >>protocol and entered the passphrase in the box. When it wouldn't connect,
    >>we opened the settings screen and found that while the entered passphrase
    >>had 15 characters, the box now showed only 6 greyed characters (dots).
    >>
    >>So we decided to check the settings on the router and it wouldn't allow us
    >>access to the admin screen. I connected using a laptop using cat5 and a
    >>switch and it wouldn't accept connection using the IP address.
    >>
    >>I eventually had to reset the router using the recessed button.
    >>

    >>Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.
    >>

    >>Can anyone offer suggestions?

    >When I last set up encryption on a Linksys wireless router I ran
    >into a similar problem. For some reason typing the passphrase on
    >the client wouldn't take. I wound up having to hardwire each client
    >to the router temporarily and cut&paste the passphrase from the
    >router to the client for it to work... ^^^^^^^^^^

    Correction: That should read "WEP key" and not "passphrase"

    claudel, Jan 5, 2005
  5. General Specific

    Sam Witch Guest

    (claudel) wrote in
    n.

    >>>Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.
    >>>

    >>>Can anyone offer suggestions?

    There is always the key number setting, most are set to auto set the key
    number, sometimes you have to set it manualy on each PC.

    Sam Witch, Jan 6, 2005
  6. "David" <> wrote in news:1104947722.565674.7590
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Go into the wireless setting web page on the
    > main computer (http://192.168.0.1)
    > Write down the wep key (not the web passphrase).
    > Enter wep key on the wireless computers.
    > Should work now.
    > Hope this helps.
    > Dave

    Is the WEP key static on the router?

    General Specific, Jan 7, 2005
  7. General Specific

    David Guest

    Yes it is. You can change it manually ..... then
    of cource would have to change the wireless computers.
    The wepkey on the router is based on the web passphrase
    entered on the router. The wepkey changes on the router if
    the passphrase is changed on the router.
    Dave

    David, Jan 7, 2005
  8. General Specific

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    I use Belkin router and Belkin wireless cards in my pc's. I had no problem
    using the passphrase on all devices to genereate the passkey.
    Belkin hardware and Belkin software on all equipment may be why.
    Plus I can type without key errors.

    Rodney Kelp, Jan 9, 2005