    router which allows me to connect to the internet. I have managed to do
    this, but am concerned that my connection has no security. Is there an easy
    way to protect this connection? Step-by-step instructions would be great!

    =?Utf-8?B?SkI=?=, Oct 17, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SkI=?=

    mike Guest

    install a firewall (zone alarm free will do)
    install anti virus (AVG free will do)
    install spywareblaster
    configure router to only allow known MAC addresses onto your system.
    maybe use WEP or WPA encryption, if you really are that paranoid.
    'bout it really

    mike

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have bought a Toshiba laptop which is wireless enabled, and have a

    Netgear
    > router which allows me to connect to the internet. I have managed to do
    > this, but am concerned that my connection has no security. Is there an

    easy
    > way to protect this connection? Step-by-step instructions would be great!

    ---

    mike, Oct 17, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SkI=?=

    Jack Guest

    First bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe
    secure Internet Connection and Secure Wireless there is No relation between
    the two from a Computer functioning perspective.

    Wireless Security has Nothing to do with Firewall.

    Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
    people in the neighborhood attaching then self to your LAN. That why there
    is Wireless Security measures to avoid Local Tapping. These measure are
    unique only the Wireless itself, and has to be used even if there is No
    Internet Connection.

    Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    The Firewall "Job" is to protect the Internet connection from being
    invaded, and to prevent your LAN computers from transmitting out to the
    Internet privileged information.

    Each computer on your Network that has access to the Internet should have
    its own Firewall regardless of whether you use Wire or Wireless.

    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    In addition you should have tools available if your computers get Infested.

    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 17, 2004
  4. On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:31:02 -0700, "JB"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have bought a Toshiba laptop which is wireless enabled, and have a Netgear
    >router which allows me to connect to the internet. I have managed to do
    >this, but am concerned that my connection has no security. Is there an easy
    >way to protect this connection? Step-by-step instructions would be great!

    There is not a vast amount to add that was not added by the other

    In case you had not picked up from the other post wireless security
    and a firewall are completely different. One protects you from
    someone driving up and plugging into your network from outside your
    house and the other protects your computer from invasion via the
    internet.

    You haven't said which Netgear router you are using but the DG834G
    would be the likely culprit. This is a very easy unit to encrypt and
    the following link provides a PDF version of the instructions.

    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg834g_reference_manual.pdf

    Detailed information is available on setting up security. It begins
    on p4-2 and continues from there. Be sure to read all the section
    before beginning the set up.

    Don't get diverted by the idea of the firewall. This is turned on by
    default and is already protecting you from internet nasties (although
    an AV is still a must and you might want to consider use of a software
    firewall, but worry about that AFTER you've sorted the encryption).

    Hope this helps.

    Simon Pleasants, Oct 18, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SkI=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The following links describe the concept, for exact location of the entries
    in your look at the manual.

    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 18, 2004