    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Feb 15, 2009

  2. Gordon <> wrote:
    > Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
    > that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
    > networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
    > other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length).
    > Does XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?

    Yes. This would most likely be a driver/wireless card issue. Note that if
    you're using WEP, you aren't very secure. Use WPA instead.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 16, 2009

  3. Hi
    To connect at 128bit, it has to be supported by the Wireless Router (WAP),
    and the Wireless client card.
    Check carefully to make sure that they both support it.
    This page covers WinXP Encryption issues.
    In addition WEP 64 or 128 is Not really secure any more.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
    <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 16, 2009
  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    > Hi
    > To connect at 128bit, it has to be supported by the Wireless Router (WAP),
    > and the Wireless client card.
    > Check carefully to make sure that they both support it.

    The WAP certainly supports it - I was using WPA encryption. I'm trying all
    the possibilities to get her to be able to connect wirelessly.
    How do I check what her wireless card supports?
    Is it possible to set up the WAP so I can connect by WPA and she can connect
    by WEP?

    Gordon, Feb 16, 2009
  5. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote in message
    > Gordon <> wrote:
    >> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
    >> that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
    >> networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
    >> other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length).
    >> Does XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?

    > Yes. This would most likely be a driver/wireless card issue. Note that if
    > you're using WEP, you aren't very secure. Use WPA instead.

    Yes I know about WPA. I was using it, but she couldn't connect with that
    either, so I'm looking at all the possibilities. I've reduced it from WPA to
    256 bit WEP, and now we're on 128 bit WEP and I'm about to go down to 64 bit
    WEP. I don't like it any more than you, however, we are deep in the sticks
    so the chance of anyone sitting outside my house in a car with a wireless
    laptop is remote...

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Feb 16, 2009
  6. Gordon

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 16, 2009
  7. Gordon

    Barb Bowman Guest

    as Jack posted, XP SP2 needs the WPA2 QFE at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

    you need to tell us what wireless NIC and what driver it is using.

    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    Barb Bowman, Feb 16, 2009
  8. Gordon <> wrote:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Gordon <> wrote:
    >>> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
    >>> that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
    >>> networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
    >>> other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length).
    >>> Does XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?

    >> Yes. This would most likely be a driver/wireless card issue. Note
    >> that if you're using WEP, you aren't very secure. Use WPA instead.
    >>

    > Yes I know about WPA. I was using it, but she couldn't connect with
    > that either, so I'm looking at all the possibilities. I've reduced it
    > from WPA to 256 bit WEP, and now we're on 128 bit WEP and I'm about
    > to go down to 64 bit WEP. I don't like it any more than you, however,
    > we are deep in the sticks so the chance of anyone sitting outside my
    > house in a car with a wireless laptop is remote...

    Maybe so, but if you're not in a valley in a wooded area you're probably
    more exposed than you think. You could simply upgrade her to an add-in
    wireless card capable of using WPA.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 16, 2009
  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote in message

    > Maybe so, but if you're not in a valley in a wooded area you're probably
    > more exposed than you think.

    The nearest person with a wireless-enabled computer is over 400 yards
    away!!!!!

    > You could simply upgrade her to an add-in wireless card capable of using
    > WPA.

    Unfortunately not - it's a company laptop....

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Feb 16, 2009
  10. Gordon <> wrote:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>
    >> Maybe so, but if you're not in a valley in a wooded area you're
    >> probably more exposed than you think.

    > The nearest person with a wireless-enabled computer is over 400 yards
    > away!!!!!

    Yeah, I know it's unlikely. Just not impossible

    >> You could simply upgrade her to an add-in wireless card capable of
    >> using WPA.

    > Unfortunately not - it's a company laptop....

    OK.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 16, 2009
  11. Hi
    Windows takes its Encryption setting from the Wireless card's drivers.
    If the drivers, or the card, do not support advanced security nothing can be
    done about it.
    Check the support site of the card's vendors for the card's capacities and
    updated drivers.
    If it does not support reasonable security get a new PCMCIA card a good card
    that can do WPA or WPA2 is less than $20.
    Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315047
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 16, 2009
  12. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    > Hi
    > Windows takes its Encryption setting from the Wireless card's drivers.
    > If the drivers, or the card, do not support advanced security nothing can
    > be done about it.
    > Check the support site of the card's vendors for the card's capacities and
    > updated drivers.
    > If it does not support reasonable security get a new PCMCIA card a good
    > card that can do WPA or WPA2 is less than $20.
    > Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315047
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Wish we could - it's a company laptop......

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Feb 16, 2009
  13. Gordon

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 17, 2009
  14. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    > Have you spoken to your IT folks ?

    Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Feb 17, 2009
  15. Gordon

    John Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > The WAP certainly supports it - I was using WPA encryption. I'm trying all
    > the possibilities to get her to be able to connect wirelessly.
    > How do I check what her wireless card supports?

    Notebook brand/model number? What does Wireless NIC show in the Device
    Manager?
    John, Feb 17, 2009
  16. Gordon <> wrote:
    > "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> Have you spoken to your IT folks ?
    >>

    > Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

    OK. Has *she*?
    I can't see why there would be an issue plugging in a card & loading
    drivers, if they've given her admin rights.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 18, 2009
  17. Gordon

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 18, 2009
  18. Gordon

    > then ask "her" to speak to them.
    >
    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:14 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

    They'd originally disabled wireless access on all their laptops and they
    were pretty reluctant to allow wireless access AT ALL, to anything....
    So I'm not hopeful...

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Feb 18, 2009
  19. Hi
    Well, if owning a Laptop with functional Wireless is that important there
    are very good "pre-owned" units for about $200 ;).
    Losing a Job might generate a bigger lose.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 18, 2009
  20. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP that
    > has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless networks with
    > (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this other network but
    > I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length). Does XP not connect to
    > 128 bit WEP?

    Thanks to all who responded - I've just found the answer. XP will NOT do
    Shared Key whereas Vista will.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level