    of my home wirelessly. Can this task be accomplished? What equipment
    would be required?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Ted, Nov 10, 2007

  2. Ted

    Lem Guest

    Ted wrote:
    > I am using a 24dbi Yagi antenna with a built-in USB wifi adapter
    > (Atheros Chipset zydas1211b802.11b/802.11g) for internet access.
    > This antenna/adapter combo is connected via a 15 foot USB cable
    > to my desktop USB port. This works extremely well.
    > What I would like to do is to route internet access from my desktop
    > to all areas
    > of my home wirelessly. Can this task be accomplished? What equipment
    > would be required?
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    If you know about terms like "24db" and "Yagi", you are already far
    beyond the level of expertise of many posters in this ng.

    Initially, whether you can effectively reach "all areas" of your home
    via wifi depends on the size and construction of your home. If you have
    a small wood frame house, you probably can; if you have a large
    multi-story home with old-fashioned plaster walls with wire screen or
    expanded metal lath, you probably will have problems.

    There probably are a few ways to accomplish your goal, but the first
    thing that comes to mind is to buy a regular home wireless router,
    connect it to your desktop, and configure Internet Connection Sharing.
    This has the drawback that the desktop must be on whenever any other
    computer needs to access the Internet. You would configure this router
    to use a different channel than the one used by your antenna/adapter.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 10, 2007

  3. Hi
    To follow on Lem's advice.
    Once you have a Wireless Router before you configure ICS you to decide on
    one of few options.
    1. Configure the Wireless Router as an Access Point and do the entire
    Routing trough ICS.
    All computers would be on the same network with the Main Routing computer,
    but the wireless network might not be very stable.
    2. The Wireless router is connected to the main computer through the WAN
    port.
    You would have more stable Wireless network but the main computer would be
    on its own Network, and when you need to open ports, you would have to work
    through two Firewalls.
    3. Solid but more expensive solution.
    Buy a high power Wireless client device like this (it would replace the
    current USB/ main computer concoction),
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162168
    Connect the Yagi to it and feed its output to the WAN port of a Wireless
    Router. On the LAN side of the Router, you can configure a regular cohesive
    Wires/Wireless network.
    P.S. The Channel of the local wireless has to be different then the channel
    of the receiving Wireless.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 10, 2007