    Are there any others out there?

    thanks
    Paul

    P Morris, Jan 18, 2006

  2. "P Morris" <pmorris@paradise> wrote in message news:...
    > are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
    > broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
    > such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
    > little expensive.
    >
    > Are there any others out there?

    The WiFlyer will do, but there's no telepermit for it, yet. I posted a
    review here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5647

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Jan 18, 2006

  3. P Morris

    elpenguino Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:30:46 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >"P Morris" <pmorris@paradise> wrote in message news:...
    >> are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
    >> broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
    >> such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
    >> little expensive.
    >>
    >> Are there any others out there?

    >The WiFlyer will do, but there's no telepermit for it, yet. I posted a
    >review here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5647

    oooo , oooo, oooo, I know this one!!
    There's something from Apple called the air port as well.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    elpenguino, Jan 18, 2006
  4. P Morris

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:14:47 +1300, P Morris <pmorris@paradise>
    exclaimed:

    >are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
    >broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
    >such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
    >little expensive.
    >
    >Are there any others out there?
    >
    >thanks
    >Paul

    Hmm, if you've got an old machine around, maybe an IPCop firewall
    connected to a standard WAP?

    dialup routers are like hens teeth these days, and still in demand in
    some circles.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 18, 2006
  5. "elpenguino" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:30:46 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"P Morris" <pmorris@paradise> wrote in message
    >>> are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
    >>> broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
    >>> such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
    >>> little expensive.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any others out there?

    >>The WiFlyer will do, but there's no telepermit for it, yet. I posted a
    >>review here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5647

    > oooo , oooo, oooo, I know this one!!
    > There's something from Apple called the air port as well.

    Which the OP discarded as expensive. The WiFlyer is probably half or third
    of the price of the Apple solution :-(

    Although I've heard very good stuff abou the Apple one, not sure if it
    commands the premium price - it's just a router...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Jan 18, 2006
  6. P Morris

    EMB Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Hmm, if you've got an old machine around, maybe an IPCop firewall
    > connected to a standard WAP?
    >
    > dialup routers are like hens teeth these days, and still in demand in
    > some circles.

    There's a brand new one in it's box sitting here - I'll part with it if
    someone makes me a sensible offer.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 18, 2006
  7. P Morris

    PC Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:14:47 +1300, P Morris <pmorris@paradise>
    > exclaimed:

    snip

    > dialup routers are like hens teeth these days, and still in demand in
    > some circles.

    Rang Dynalink today looking for one.

    'No none available, market to small'

    Bugger means I'm gona have to do the Freesco thingy.

    Paul.

    PC, Jan 19, 2006
  8. P Morris

    steve Guest

    P Morris wrote:

    > are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
    > broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
    > such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
    > little expensive.
    >
    > Are there any others out there?
    >
    > thanks
    > Paul

    Dialup to an ISP, then VPN through an open port on the router, forwarded to
    the system you want to VPN into.

    That is effective dialup access.

    steve, Jan 19, 2006
  9. P Morris

    elpenguino Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:48:54 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >Which the OP discarded as expensive. The WiFlyer is probably half or third
    >of the price of the Apple solution :-(

    Oh yeah, now you mention it the OP did disregard it.
    Must try reading better in future....

    elpenguino, Jan 19, 2006
  10. P Morris

    P Morris Guest

    Thanks Mauricio - great review. I'll see about getting one.

    cheers,
    Paul

    P Morris, Jan 19, 2006