    Your imputs and opinions would be greatly appreciated on this,.....a very
    new device, 'Wireless' router for purpose of sharing the Printer.

    Thanks,
    Spring09, Nov 12, 2009

  2. Hi
    Yeah, you can buy any Wireless Router configure it as an Access Point with
    switch and connect it to your current system.
    Here how, Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Any Wireless computer, or wireless Network printer, can then connect to the
    current Network.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Nov 12, 2009

  3. Spring09

    Spring09 Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    In order to get wireless capaciy, I need not only Wireless Router,' also
    need to install 'wireless cards' to all PCs that have NO wireless cards
    inside. Only the Printer is 'wireless.'

    Thanks,

    Spring09, Nov 12, 2009
  4. Hi
    Yes, on desktop you need to install PCI wireless inside, or use a USB
    Wireless (Internal PCI is usually better).
    Example.
    PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    USB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315075
    Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
    http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    On laptops that do not have internal Wireless you can use PCMCIA Card.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Nov 12, 2009
  5. Spring09

    Spring09 Guest

    Jack [MVP-Networking]:

    Thanks again,

    I plan to install PCI card inside, since it seems better connectivity.

    When I went NewEgg site, there are many, different Wireless Routers. I
    prefer 'D-Link' route and 802.11g, because I think my IP, Comcast does
    accept. Someone told me that any device 'N'/(speedy device) needs to avoid,
    because Comcast does not like.

    Spring09, Nov 12, 2009
  6. Hi
    Almost all the Home used Routers differences are on the LAN (Home Network)
    side.
    The WAN side (ISP side that goes to the Modem) is not functionally different
    one from the other.
    I doubt that there is any technical merit to the claim that Comcast like
    one, or the other.
    The issue is that people expect their ISP to support their 3rd party Router
    too.
    However it is Not the ISP duty (and even if they want to it is impossible)
    to support all the independent Routers that are available on the market.
    So Comcast support people know the interface of few simple Routers, and
    would not want to deal with any of the others.
    If One has a basic idea of Networking and does Not need Comcast to deal with
    his LAN, and its Router, One can the best for him.
    Expecting the ISP to take care of your own system is like expecting your car
    company to clean and take care of your garage.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Nov 13, 2009
  7. Spring09

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Everyone, http://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/

    Jack, this is a WNR1000v2. Pls contact me offline.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com