Wireless router works, but one with wires does not, why?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Wilson, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. John Wilson

    John Wilson Guest

    My linksys wireless router was hooked up and working with the internet in a
    matter of minutes. I did not have to do anything; XP did it all for me.

    However, I have a Linksys Router BEFSRU31 that will not let me get on the
    internet. The router is so old that XP was not listed as one of the
    operating systems on the box.

    I am using Bellsouth's DSL modem. I have the latest firmware for my router.
    Right now I am just trying to connect one pc to keep it simple, so I have
    the wires hooked up right (modem to WAN with Cat5 cable, Cat5 cable from
    router port to computer). The Local Area Connection icon pops up in the
    systray saying that the connection is okay. But no pages will display when I
    try to get on the internet. I have hit the reset button several times on
    both the modem and the router.

    The router does not show up anywhere in Device Manager. Is it supposed to?

    Also, if I got a new current router would it set up easy and quickly like
    the wireless one did?

    John Wilson, Dec 1, 2005

  2. John Wilson

    John and Pat Guest

    It appears from the Linksys site that this router does support XP with the
    newest firmware. The link I have provided is the quick install instructions.
    The router will not show up in device manager. And a new router should be
    almost effortless to setup. Just wondering though, are you sure that you
    setup the router as a PPoE connection to your DSL provider? The connection
    icon only means that you are connected to the router, it does not mean that
    your router is connected properly to your DSL provider. The lights on the
    router should help with that determination.

    ftp://ftp.linksys.com/qinstalls/befsr11u31_fs.pdf

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat, Dec 1, 2005

  3. John Wilson

    John Wilson Guest

    Instead of trying to use the old linksys I hooked up my Dlink wireless
    router and used its rj45 ports. Once I got my right password in the router
    properties section, everything started to work. I have no idea why the
    linksys would not work, and now I dont care.

    Thanks for assist.

    John Wilson, Dec 2, 2005