Wireless router & wired print server

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ian G, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Ian G

    Ian G Guest

    Help - can anyone help me to print through this system?

    I have the following items
    Room 1 - DLink Wireless ADSL router with built in ADSL modem, firewall and 4
    wired LAN ports, connected to this is a LinkSys EFSP42 2 port print server
    with 4 switched ports, connected to the first parallel port is a Samsung
    ML2150 printer
    Room 2 - Desktop PC running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates,
    connected to the wireless network via a DLink USB Wireless link (good signal
    connects at 54Mbs). This has Zone Alarm but I have tried with firewall
    switched off. (incidentally when I installed the dongle, it installed all
    by itself and although I have updated the driver to the one supplied by
    DLink - I cant access the program to get into the setup - but it seems to
    work OK)
    Anyroom - New HP laptop connected via wireless link.

    The set up ALMOST works perfectly, I can access internet and copy files to
    each PC - however I cant print!

    I have tried giving the LinkSys print serve its own fixed IP and I have
    tried letting the router allocate one. If I connect directly (with wires)
    to the print server and allocate fixed IP to the PC and print server then I
    can print.

    In wireless mode I can access the control panel for the print server via a
    browser and its IP address and alter it's settings, even print a test page
    from this screen. I can access the print server using either the BiAdmin
    program or directly via the IP address from either PC and print test pages
    from these programs but NOT from windows.

    I have set the printer up as a network printer using the LinkSys printer
    port driver and then a generic LPR port either way it has the same problem -
    just get print error when I try to print from Windows.

    I'm pulling my hair out over this! Can anyone help?

    I think the problem may lay in the router setup but this is somewhat a grey
    area for me. What is so strange is that I can ping all IP addresses exactly
    the same if I am connected with wires and fixed IP or wireless and DHCP
    allocated IP BUT I just cant print from windows!

    Ian
    Ian G, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Ian G

    DJ Borell Guest

    Have you run the installation disk on the laptop? You need to install the
    virtual printer port on the laptop for the print server before Windows will
    be able to print.

    DJ Borell, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Hi

    Yes I have installed the installation on both PC's (both are wireless) and I
    get the same problem with both, However if I connect with a LAN cable directy
    to the Print server/switch and change the IP addresses to static - I can then
    print OK - still using the virtual printing port. Go back to wireless and
    DHCP allocaed address and it stops printing! Even though I can still "see"
    the print servers setup at its new IP. Can print a test page from the print
    server setup page from both locations.

    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEc=?=, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Ian G

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Ian G" <Ian > wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Yes I have installed the installation on both PC's (both are wireless) and
    > get the same problem with both, However if I connect with a LAN cable
    > directy
    > to the Print server/switch and change the IP addresses to static - I can
    > then
    > print OK - still using the virtual printing port. Go back to wireless and
    > DHCP allocaed address and it stops printing! Even though I can still
    > "see"
    > the print servers setup at its new IP. Can print a test page from the
    > print
    > server setup page from both locations.

    Can you print wirelessly when the PS has a static IP address? My guess is
    that it has less to do with wired/wireless and more to do with the Dynamic
    IP.

    I haven't used the model you have, but the last time I installed a Linksys
    Print Server, it gave me all kinds of problems, none of which were
    persistent and therefore difficult to overcome. Even with everything
    properly configured and communication verfied, it wouldn't always print.
    Frankly, it became so problematic, that I finally gave up on it and
    installed a box made out of junk parts (Duron 1000, 64 MB RAM, 16MB PCI
    Video and a generic 10/100 NIC - had the parts laying around, so it cost me
    nothing) running Red Hat 7.2 with a SMB print share. That's been running
    for over a year and I haven't had to do anything with it since the
    installation.
    DJ Borell, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Ian G

    Ian G Guest

    I have tried allocating a fixed address (I think I have tried both in the
    range of the DHCP and outside it) but I was not sure which as the
    instruction book said one thing and someone in a newsgroup said the other.

    Now here is another thing I have just remembered - in the DLink router setup
    there is something about a "bridge" where I can input an IP address - did
    wonder if I should use this if I allocate a fixed IP to the print server.
    I'm fine with electronics hard ware, not to bad with most software BUT IP
    addresses and the black art of the inside of routers - now that's something
    else!

    Ian G, Mar 4, 2005
  6. Ian G

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Ian G" <> wrote in message
    >I have tried allocating a fixed address (I think I have tried both in the
    > range of the DHCP and outside it) but I was not sure which as the
    > instruction book said one thing and someone in a newsgroup said the other.
    >
    > Now here is another thing I have just remembered - in the DLink router
    > setup
    > there is something about a "bridge" where I can input an IP address - did
    > wonder if I should use this if I allocate a fixed IP to the print server.
    > I'm fine with electronics hard ware, not to bad with most software BUT IP
    > addresses and the black art of the inside of routers - now that's
    > something
    > else!

    You want to assign the static IP outside the scope of your DHCP allocation.
    You would only assign the IP within the scope if you have the ability to
    define an exclusion in your DHCP server. As you are using DHCP from a
    router, you likely do not have this ability.

    As far as setting a bridge, I'm a little unsure what this may be
    referencing, but fail to see how what I think of as a bridge would assist
    your situation.

    I would assign a static IP (ouside your DHCP scope), ensure the VPP is
    installed, and attempt to print. Your PS should be addressable by both IP
    and Host name. Once this configuration is in place, you may also want to
    try powering everything down and then bringing it back up in this order:

    1) Router
    2) Print Server
    3) Workstation / Laptop

    This will ensure that everything is properly configured as far as IP
    addresses. (You can also do this via IPCONFIG, but a reboot will be
    required at the PS and router.)
    DJ Borell, Mar 4, 2005
  7. Ian G

    Quaoar Guest

    Ian G wrote:
> [...]
    >>> even print a test page from this screen. I can access the print
    >>> server using either the BiAdmin program or directly via the IP
    >>> address from either PC and print test pages from these programs but
    >>> NOT from windows.
    >>>
    >>> I have set the printer up as a network printer using the LinkSys
    >>> printer port driver and then a generic LPR port either way it has
    >>> the same problem -
    >>> just get print error when I try to print from Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I'm pulling my hair out over this! Can anyone help?
    >>>

    >>> I think the problem may lay in the router setup but this is
    >>> somewhat a grey
    >>> area for me. What is so strange is that I can ping all IP addresses
    >>> exactly
    >>> the same if I am connected with wires and fixed IP or wireless and
    >>> DHCP allocated IP BUT I just cant print from windows!

    You are running into the built-in problem with this Linksys print
    server. It really needs a static IP address. Trust me on this; I've
    had several of these. In fact, after futzing with these servers, I've
    thrown in the towel and now use old laptops for parallel port print
    servers. Linksys has never deigned to fix the things to overcome its
    limitations. You will find that even with a static IP address, you will
    have to reboot the server frequently since it simply gets lost on the
    network when the router renews its lease. The things are simply
    temperamental.

    There are better parallel port print servers available - Hawking makes
    decent ones, but even they have problems from time to time. But, if you
    get yours working (and Bi-Admin is the key), you won't have continuing
    problems since the servers don't last more than a year at best. It's
    simply bad equipment that Linksys should be ashamed to market.

    IMO, YMMV

    Quaoar, Mar 5, 2005
  8. Ian G

    Ian G Guest

    Hi all

    Well that didn't solve it! I think I had tried this before but I was not
    sure. I have now tried allocating the PS a network IP in the general range
    of the router 198.168 etc but out of the defined range of 1 to 5 (that I
    set) also completely out of the range i.e. 10.10.0.1 and neither work.
    Strange when set to 10.10 etc I can still access that IP and the control
    panel but it does not show up in my workgroup.

    Another ideas? I'm not at that location now and wont be back till Monday so
    I have not tried changing IP's as above and restarting in the order
    suggestions. If I don't get anywhere with this - may have to return the
    print server and use an old PC. I just thought the PS seemed a nicer
    solution - also a pc presents problems with turning on and off because I
    don't really have room for a monitor and keyboard in the very small room
    where the printer is.

    Before I get back on Monday does anyone know should I define the IP address
    in the general network range (easier when resetting firewalls) or something
    completely away from the network and DHCP range. Thanks

    Ian

    --
    Disclaimer
    The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal

    Ian G, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Ian G

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Ian G" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Well that didn't solve it! I think I had tried this before but I was not
    > sure. I have now tried allocating the PS a network IP in the general
    > range
    > of the router 198.168 etc but out of the defined range of 1 to 5 (that I
    > set) also completely out of the range i.e. 10.10.0.1 and neither work.
    > Strange when set to 10.10 etc I can still access that IP and the control
    > panel but it does not show up in my workgroup.
    >
    > Another ideas? I'm not at that location now and wont be back till Monday
    > so
    > I have not tried changing IP's as above and restarting in the order
    > suggestions. If I don't get anywhere with this - may have to return the
    > print server and use an old PC. I just thought the PS seemed a nicer
    > solution - also a pc presents problems with turning on and off because I
    > don't really have room for a monitor and keyboard in the very small room
    > where the printer is.
    >
    > Before I get back on Monday does anyone know should I define the IP
    > address
    > in the general network range (easier when resetting firewalls) or
    > something
    > completely away from the network and DHCP range. Thanks
    >
    > Ian

    Ok, to get very specific, this is how I would set it up:

    1) The ADSL Router (DHCP Server) IP Address of 192.168.0.1/24
    -- Give the DHCP Server the scope of 192.168.0.1/24 - 192.168.0.5/24
    2) The PS - 192.168.0.6/24
    3) The Desktop and Laptop - IP assigned dynamically

    To make sure you're understanding, the static IP for the PS will be in the
    same Network ID as the rest of the network, but it will *not* be within the
    DHCP server's scope. This is the only way you can assign a static IP - if
    you assign an IP statically that is *within* the scope, you risk your DHCP
    server attempting to assign the IP address, thereby causing an IP conflict
    (while this is unlikely in your scenario, it's best practice).

    If you do not have the ability to define the scope for your DHCP services on
    the ASDL router, then assign a static address to the PS that is high in the
    range of valid IP addresses (in this scenario, give it somthing like
    192.168.0.254). This will minimize any likelihood of the address being
    assigned as your network will, presumably, not get that large.

    On the Linksys PS that I used (briefly), I had the ability to assign the
    workgroup/domain name. If you can do this, make sure it's properly set.
    Then, rerun the printer install utility on your workstations to confirm that
    the VPP is installed and properly pointing to the correct drivers.

    Frankly, as both I and Quaoar have said, these things are notoriously
    "quirky". Even if they are 100% properly installed, it *still* might not
    work properly. They just aren't very well designed devices. In the end,
    you may find running a system as your print server is just a much easier
    option. Also, you have no need of a monitor / keyboard / mouse for the
    system you run. Just use Windows Remote Desktop (after the OS is installed)
    or a third-party app such as VNC to access it over the LAN on another
    workstation. This is precisely how I administer (on the rare occassion that
    I need to) the Linux box I'm running for my print server. I've had it
    installed for over a year and have not once had to do anything with it
    except apply an updates about once a month.
    DJ Borell, Mar 5, 2005
  10. Ian G

    Ian G Guest

    Many thanks for the reply

    As I have said I am not back until Monday but can you clarify

    Can I type in to an address 192.168.1.1/24 ? I had already set the range to
    192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5 as I thought that was the range. Sorry to be a
    bit thick about this but it is really a black art to me.

    Also I just had not thought about remote software - I have a copy of "PC
    anywhere" also I have a copy of red hat Linux and an old PC. Sounds fun bur
    I have a feeling it might take me longer to setup than this "bloody" print
    server!! I might be looking for a Linux driver for the ML2150? Still I do
    have an original copy of windows 98...

    Thanks

    Ian

    PS will let you know how I get on with this..

    Ian G, Mar 5, 2005
  11. Ian G

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Ian G" <> wrote in message

    > Can I type in to an address 192.168.1.1/24 ? I had already set the range
    > 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5 as I thought that was the range. Sorry to be a
    > bit thick about this but it is really a black art to me.

    Ah, sorry, this is called "CIDR" (Classless Inter-Domain Routing)
    addressing. In a nutshell, the "/24" represents the number of bits used for
    the subnet mask. In this case, your Network ID is "192.168.0.0" and your
    subnet mask is "255.255.255.0". Without getting technical about it, CIDR
    addressing is simply another way of representing the subnet mask. To
    understand how it works, you need to know how the IP addressing scheme works
    and what a subnet mask is. Not to mention how to convert dotted decimal to
    binary and vice versa.

    > Also I just had not thought about remote software - I have a copy of "PC
    > anywhere" also I have a copy of red hat Linux and an old PC. Sounds fun
    > bur
    > I have a feeling it might take me longer to setup than this "bloody" print
    > server!! I might be looking for a Linux driver for the ML2150? Still I do
    > have an original copy of windows 98...
    >
    > Thanks

    Windows 98 will work, too. This may well be your best option if all you
    want is to just get the printer networked and operational.

    Although, you'd be surprised how many printer drivers are included with
    Linux distributions. Note, however, that I mention Linux as it is free
    (kind of). If you have no experience with it (and no interest in learning a
    new OS), you'd be better off sticking with Windows. Although, Linux is
    *not* as much the "geek" OS as it used to be, it is still, at times,
    significantly different than Windows.

    As far as PCAnywhere, that'll work, too. Frankly, though, it'd probably be
    easier for you to run VNC (also free - www.realvnc.com) than PCAnywhere.
    And if you use WinXP Pro or Win2000, Remote Desktop is the easiest
    (especially since it's part of the OS, anyway.)
    DJ Borell, Mar 5, 2005
  12. Ian G

    Freenetname Guest

    Hi

    I've cracked it!! Finally about 1:00am in the morning!!! After an evening
    of trying everything and talking to a lovely lady for an hour in the
    Philippines on Linksys help desk. We went through everything she could
    suggest - had a nice chat though. Finally suggested that I return the print
    server and buy a wireless one!

    So uninstalled everything, then hard rebooted both the wireless router and
    the print server. Ran wires to the print server reloaded all software on
    desktop and tried just this and got it working with fixed IP's - then
    connected wireless router (turned off wireless bit first) found that I had
    to connect the print server to LAN port No 1 to get it to work with DHCP
    finally got this working OK - it will only work if the print server has a
    fixed IP - made this 192.168.1.100 - Gateway address 192.168.1.1.

    Then connected laptop with wire to the router - could not get this working
    but finally figured it was Norton Internet security (the wizard normally
    solves all networking problems).. You all following this?

    Then turned on wireless and unplugged wires - desktop didn't work but laptop
    did - it printed! (With firewall turned off - but not too worried as router
    has a firewall)

    So what was wrong with desktop? I have a DLink G112 USB thingy in this but
    it did not install well the first time - it worked fine but I could not use
    the configuration program but it worked fine could access internet and the
    laptop files. I think this may have installed itself twice as it's terribly
    slow to install. So deinstalled it - this did not work to well so searched
    for left over bits in registry and deleted these. Reinstalled software for
    the dongle and all works OK. I can print to the cupboard under the stairs!

    Two very minor irritations - still cant print from laptop without turning
    off Norton Firewall and still cant run Dlink Airplus utility

    hope this helps someone in the future!!

    Ian G

    Freenetname, Mar 8, 2005