    my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
    channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
    network?

    Tim, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Tim

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    It is Not clear what would you like to do with the Access Point?

    May be this can Help.

    Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable

    modem
    > is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point

    connected

    Jack, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Tim

    Jeff Durham Guest

    If you are saying that you now have a "spare" access point and would like to
    use it, you can use it to extend your range. Put your access point in a
    location where you have a poor signal, but a wired port availabled.
    Configure the access point with identical settings to your router including
    the SSID and encryption/authentication settings. The only things that would
    be different are the IP address and the channel. Even though Linksys
    recommends the same channel, use a different channel. An example of
    non-overlapping channels to use would be 1, 6, and 11. If you set one
    device to 1, set the other one to 6 or 11. You should now be able to roam
    between access points without losing your connection.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Alot depends if you want wireless roaming or a wireless repeater.
    If you want wireless roaming, you need to wire the access point to the
    router with Ethernet and use the same channel and SSID.

    If you want a repeater, you can do this wirelessly using the Wireless
    Distribution System (WDS) which both these Linksys devices support.
    Basically, you use the same SSID but channels that don't overlap like
    1 and 6 or 3 and 8. (1 and 11 work as well). There is a place on the
    routers admin page to specify the Mac address of the AP in the WDS
    setup.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Sep 21, 2004
  5. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thank you for the responses. I was just unclear about a few wireless details
    (I'm quite new at this). I'll set it as another AP so I can have the
    wireless "roaming" :)

    Thanks

    Tim, Sep 22, 2004