    I'm thinking, perhaps mistakenly, that the speed to my home computers
    (wireless) will be faster without the encryption. Comments? Thanks.

    EW

    Lone Star, Dec 5, 2009

  2. Lone Star

    john Guest

    Lone Star wrote:
    > OK, simple question: do I really need to set up WEP or WPA security for my
    > Linksys WRT 54GS if the closest public point to my property is around 500
    > feet away? I plan on broadcasting my SSID likewise.
    >
    > I'm thinking, perhaps mistakenly, that the speed to my home computers
    > (wireless) will be faster without the encryption. Comments? Thanks.
    >
    > EW

    WPA is more secure with out question.

    john, Dec 5, 2009

  3. Lone Star

    Lem Guest

    Lone Star wrote:
    > OK, simple question: do I really need to set up WEP or WPA security for my
    > Linksys WRT 54GS if the closest public point to my property is around 500
    > feet away? I plan on broadcasting my SSID likewise.
    >
    > I'm thinking, perhaps mistakenly, that the speed to my home computers
    > (wireless) will be faster without the encryption. Comments? Thanks.
    >
    > EW

    By all means broadcast your SSID. Disabling SSID broadcast does not
    provide any meaningful security and may cause problems.
    http://blogs.technet.com/steriley/archive/2007/10/16/myth-vs-reality-wireless-ssids.aspx

    Although the nominal max outdoor range for 802.11G is around 300 feet,
    it's possible that the signal from your router could be picked up from
    farther away than that by someone with a high-gain directional antenna.

    While there may be some speed loss when using encryption, particularly
    with older equipment, in general it will be hardly detectable. You are
    far more likely to have noticeable speed loss based on signal strength
    (e.g., walls/floors between your router and your computer).

    And unless you are transmitting large files, e.g, streaming video, from
    one computer on your LAN to another, your data transfer rate will be
    limited by your Internet connection unless you have super-premium cable
    service.

    In the end, you have to decide whether you want to milk that last few
    bps out of the connection in exchange for the risk, however small, of
    someone accessing your system. If I had a 500-foot perimeter around my
    house, I'd still encrypt my wireless network.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Dec 5, 2009
  4. While early WEP might slow down and create some other difficulties, WPA is
    almost neutral.
    Thus No point to Risk your system even if the probably that someone around
    would log to your system is low.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 5, 2009
  5. Lone Star

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Lone Star" <> wrote in message
    > OK, simple question: do I really need to set up WEP or WPA security for my
    > Linksys WRT 54GS if the closest public point to my property is around 500
    > feet away? I plan on broadcasting my SSID likewise.

    A simple answer: you really want to secure your network, using the latest
    and greatest techniques.
    Yes, even you.

    > I'm thinking, perhaps mistakenly, that the speed to my home computers
    > (wireless) will be faster without the encryption. Comments? Thanks.

    Well... here goes a bit longer reply:
    The truth that wi-fi vendors don't want us to know is that certain protocols
    used in WPA
    are quite sensitive to timeouts and packet loss.
    So, when the signal is weak (as at the limit of the coverage area), WPA can
    become
    fragile, to the degree noticeable by users.
    With the recent "N" standard hardware, reception is much more robust, that
    users
    feel as faster connection and less interruptions.
    So the complete answer is, the good security works better with the good
    (newer, less cheap) hardware.

    Regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A., Dec 5, 2009
  6. Lone Star

    Lone Star Guest

    "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <> wrote in message
    > While early WEP might slow down and create some other difficulties, WPA is
    > almost neutral.
    > Thus No point to Risk your system even if the probably that someone around
    > would log to your system is low.

    Thanks to you and the others for the comments. As you all indicate, better
    go for the security. I will. Thanks again.

    EW

    Lone Star, Dec 5, 2009