    notebook running internet wireless, but I have not set up the security with
    the wired PC. What program do I open in Windows XP to set-up the Linksy
    router? Do I have to run the CD that came with the router again?

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lanI=?=, Aug 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lanI=?=

    Lem Guest

    Joejr wrote:
    > How do I setup the wireless router with security? Right now I got my Dell
    > notebook running internet wireless, but I have not set up the security with
    > the wired PC. What program do I open in Windows XP to set-up the Linksy
    > router? Do I have to run the CD that came with the router again?

    No, don't run the CD again. But you will have to access the router's
    configuration utility by opening a web browser on your computer and
    entering the router's IP address (default = 192.168.1.1).

    You should do this from a computer that is connected to the router with
    an Ethernet cable (this can be your notebook; you can disconnect the
    cable when you're done).

    See:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...291212&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...873380&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    Unless you know for sure that your notebook supports Linksys "Secure
    Easy Setup," don't bother with this. In fact, you're probably better
    off not using it even if your notebook does support it.

    I suggest that you NOT implement Linksys' suggestions 2 & 4. That is,
    do not disable SSID broadcast and do not enable MAC filtering. These
    steps provide a minimal increase in security, and not broadcasting SSID
    may (not always) cause problems with your ability to connect reliably.

    Read your router's User Guide for instructions on how to change the
    default SSID, how to change the default administrative password, and how
    to enable encryption.

    If your notebook's hardware will support it, use WPA2 or WPA-AES. If
    You can't use WPA-AES, use WPA-TKIP. Only if nothing else is available
    in your notebook (not likely, unless it is several years old) use
    WEP-128. Note that if you are forced to use WEP, you will have to enter
    the hexadecimal key, rather than the "passphrase," in the connect screen
    of your notebook.

    For additional help, see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx