Wireless Router Programming via Wireless Connection?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tom, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    This topic interests me because I had a wireless router setup on my
    home system and never bothered to password protect it on the
    assumption that only a computer wired to the router could program it.
    I have since taken it down. Can it be programmed thru a wireless
    connection?

    I ask now because I have connected to an open access router accessible
    from my home but not on my network, and when I looked at my Network
    Places, I found a description of the router I connected to and in the
    Properties I found the program address for that router, along with its
    MAC address. I don't want to experiment by trying to get into its
    programming just to see if I can. That could be interpreted as an
    attack and get me into trouble.

    I just want to know so when I set up my network again I'll take the
    right measures to secure my system.

    Tom

    In every assembly, of whatever size, passion will
    always steal the crown from reason. John Adams
    Tom, Dec 15, 2006

  2. Hi

    When you are on some else Network you can see some of the network
    parameters, and vise versa. I.e. people can log to your unprotected network
    as well.

    You can configure the security through a Wireless connection, but it is not
    recommended, because you can get stuck, you might loose the capacity to
    connect to your Router Wirelessly. (
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#onewire ).

    If you do not have a computer with the capacity to connect with a wire, you
    can get inexpensive USB to Ethernet converter and config a temporarily wired
    connection. It is always good to have such a gizmo in the toolkit for a
    rainy days. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107293

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 15, 2006

  3. Tom <> wrote in

    > This topic interests me because I had a wireless router setup on
    > my home system and never bothered to password protect it on the
    > assumption that only a computer wired to the router could program
    > it. I have since taken it down. Can it be programmed thru a
    > wireless connection?

    YES. For most wireless router manufacturers, the default is that it
    can be programmed by any device on the LAN side of the router
    (including wireless). WAN side programming can also be configured.
    In order to view/change configuration, you usually have to enter a
    user name (usually "admin") and a password (which is programmed to a
    default value when you purchase the router). If you change the
    password from the manufacturer's default, you basically lock out the
    ability of a passer-by changing your router configuration.

    > I ask now because I have connected to an open access router
    > accessible from my home but not on my network, and when I looked
    > at my Network Places, I found a description of the router I
    > connected to and in the Properties I found the program address for
    > that router, along with its MAC address. I don't want to
    > experiment by trying to get into its programming just to see if I
    > can. That could be interpreted as an attack and get me into
    > trouble.

    Attaching to a nearby network through an open channel gives you
    access to printers on that network and if there are computers on
    that network with XP home, you can usually attach to their hard
    drive using the administrator login with no password -- which works
    unless they were wise enough to change the password. Using wireless
    security is highly recommended unless you would like strangers
    poking around your hard drive. Changing the administrator password
    is also a good additional step.

    Good Luck,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Dec 15, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?cGF0dHk=?=, Dec 15, 2006
  5. hi there wondering if i change my labtop can i just put the card from my
    wireless in the other labtop and still go on or do i have to use another web
    key. i want to buy a new labtop becuse window is going ... can i just move
    card over and still be on the net will service just fellow to new laptop
    thankyou looking for feed back patty

    =?Utf-8?B?cGF0dHk=?=, Dec 16, 2006
  6. "patty" <> wrote in message
    > hi there wondering if i change my labtop can i just put the card from my
    > wireless in the other labtop and still go on or do i have to use another
    > web
    > key. i want to buy a new labtop becuse window is going ... can i just
    > move
    > card over and still be on the net will service just fellow to new laptop
    > thankyou looking for feed back patty

    If you use Wireless Connect Now/Wireless Auto Connect you can save off your
    wireless network information on a flash drive. Then you can simply plug-in
    the flash drive and automatically configure the laptop. I do that with my
    home wireless LAN and it works very well...

    See the Wireless Connect Now section...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    Sooner Al [MVP], Dec 16, 2006
  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    From my experience that should work. Your card will pick up any near
    by signal. Just log on to the one that belongs to your router. Tom

    Tom, Dec 16, 2006