    supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    and why ping packets go astray.

    The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 18, 2009

  2. Gib Bogle

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    > link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    > PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    > to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    > between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    > loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    > reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    > doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    > supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    > and why ping packets go astray.
    >
    > The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    Out of curiousity, what is the floor/ceiling constructed of, to what
    density and thickness?

    Wifi signals do travel through a lot of materials without problem, but
    not all.

    One 'trick' might be to ensure there is a 'passageway' for the signal to
    travel unencumbered between devices. The wavelength for wifi is about 12
    cm (AIUI) so leaving doors ajar to that width might change things :)

    That is, assuming there isn't another, more relevant, reason for the
    problem.

    Sailor Sam, Oct 19, 2009

  3. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hbg5mg$ngq$>,
    says...
    > I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    > link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    > PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    > to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    > between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    > loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    > reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    > doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    > supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    > and why ping packets go astray.
    >
    > The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    Many factors to consider. How much 'material' is there, between the two
    points? This will affect signal strength and ultimately the connection
    speed. So what is that like?

    Security - disable any wireless security and test. If this helps, then
    try a different security setup (preferably *not* WEP) - there are
    several WPA options. Obviously, start with WPA-2 and work down until
    you find compatability.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 19, 2009
  4. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    > link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    > PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    > to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    > between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    > loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    > reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    > doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    > supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    > and why ping packets go astray.
    >
    > The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    If this is the only client, and you cant get a cable thru then get a
    couple of the flat panel antennas and point them at each other. They are
    usually circular polarized which seems to work better for point to point
    then conventianal vertical polarized antennas.

    There is so much noise on the 2.4GHz band in urban areas that its
    virtually unusable in loads of places, you are seeing the result of low
    signal and high noise.

    Richard, Oct 19, 2009
  5. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    > link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    > PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    > to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    > between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    > loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    > reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    > doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    > supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    > and why ping packets go astray.
    >
    > The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    Change the channel on the access point as someone else locally may also
    be using that channel. Better yet install inSSIDer on the client
    machine and check what channels appear to be in use in the vicinity and
    pick one that isn't (and is preferably at least 3 channels away from one
    in use).

    EMB, Oct 19, 2009
  6. Gib Bogle

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:29:42 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    You probably don't want to buy a new wireless router. But if you do
    I'd have no problem recommending a Linskys RangePlus model WRT110 .

    Our house has large steel beams between the floors and I wanted to be
    able to use my PC upstairs in my office (where the modem & wireless
    router lives) and my laptop downstairs on either the dining room table
    or the bedroom. Both are at the other end of the house and I wasn't
    sure it would work despite assurances from DSE.

    In both locations and outside on the deck I get 100% connectivity
    levels. OTOH a wireless alarm system we tried did not work between
    upstairs and downstairs.

    Can't remember what I paid for it. It was on sale along with a 1
    terabyte external drive I bought at the same time. But DSE has it on
    sale at $139.00 at the moment:

    http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4adbe94b025a68e62740c0a87f3b06e9/Product/View/XH9653

    Donchano, Oct 19, 2009
  7. Gib Bogle

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:11:50 +1300, Sailor Sam <> wrote:

    >Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    >> link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    >> PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    >> to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    >> between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    >> loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    >> reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    >> doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    >> supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    >> and why ping packets go astray.
    >>
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    >Out of curiousity, what is the floor/ceiling constructed of, to what
    >density and thickness?
    >
    >Wifi signals do travel through a lot of materials without problem, but
    >not all.
    >
    >One 'trick' might be to ensure there is a 'passageway' for the signal to
    >travel unencumbered between devices. The wavelength for wifi is about 12
    >cm (AIUI) so leaving doors ajar to that width might change things :)
    >
    >That is, assuming there isn't another, more relevant, reason for the
    >problem.

    Depends on how good the Antenna system is on this Router and the network
    adapter.

    Mary Hanna, Oct 19, 2009
  8. Roger Sheppard (posing/posting as Mary Hanna <>, one of
    his almost 200 pseudonyms) wrote:

    > Depends on how good the Antenna system is on this Router and the network
    > adapter.

    And this month's prize for stating the bloody obvious goes, again, to Roger
    Sheppard.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 19, 2009
  9. Gib Bogle

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:13:42 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > Roger Sheppard (posing/posting as Mary Hanna <>, one of
    >his almost 200 pseudonyms) wrote:
    >

    >> Depends on how good the Antenna system is on this Router and the network
    >> adapter.

    >And this month's prize for stating the bloody obvious goes, again, to Roger
    >Sheppard.

    So is Enlgish Mary's or Roger's third language?

    Donchano, Oct 19, 2009
  10. On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:15:12 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <hbg5mg$ngq$>,
    > says...
    >> I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    >> link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    >> PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    >> to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    >> between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    >> loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    >> reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    >> doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    >> supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    >> and why ping packets go astray.
    >>
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    >Many factors to consider. How much 'material' is there, between the two
    >points? This will affect signal strength and ultimately the connection
    >speed. So what is that like?
    >
    >Security - disable any wireless security and test. If this helps, then
    >try a different security setup (preferably *not* WEP) - there are
    >several WPA options. Obviously, start with WPA-2 and work down until
    >you find compatability.

    Wifi signals can also be badly affected by reflected signals arriving
    at the same antenna slightly delayed from the main signal (ghosts). So
    try moving the antennas. The new 802.11n standard uses multiple
    antennas and is virtually immune to ghosting.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 19, 2009
  11. Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:13:42 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Roger Sheppard (posing/posting as Mary Hanna <>, one of
    >>his almost 200 pseudonyms) wrote:
    >>

    >>> Depends on how good the Antenna system is on this Router and the network
    >>> adapter.

    >>And this month's prize for stating the bloody obvious goes, again, to Roger
    >>Sheppard.

    > So is Enlgish Mary's or Roger's third language?

    There are times when one could be forgiven for wondering.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 19, 2009
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    >> link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and
    >> the PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been
    >> able to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the
    >> router) between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never
    >> seen a 0% loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping
    >> times reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the
    >> router is doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at
    >> 80-85%, supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies
    >> so much, and why ping packets go astray.
    >>
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    > Out of curiousity, what is the floor/ceiling constructed of, to what
    > density and thickness?

    The floor is particle board + 1 cm of solid wood, ceilings plasterboard
    - these should be OK. A possible problem is that the downstairs wall
    (the PC is close to it) is concrete block, which presumably has steel
    rebars in it. The geometry is a bit hard to explain, but there is also
    a concrete balcony that is not quite in the direct line of fire. This
    might be doing something.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 19, 2009
  13. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <hbg5mg$ngq$>,
    > says...
    >> I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    >> link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    >> PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    >> to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    >> between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    >> loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    >> reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    >> doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    >> supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    >> and why ping packets go astray.
    >>
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    > Many factors to consider. How much 'material' is there, between the two
    > points? This will affect signal strength and ultimately the connection
    > speed. So what is that like?
    >
    > Security - disable any wireless security and test. If this helps, then
    > try a different security setup (preferably *not* WEP) - there are
    > several WPA options. Obviously, start with WPA-2 and work down until
    > you find compatability.

    This is a new idea. I'll check it out.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 19, 2009
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:29:42 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    >> link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    >> PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    >> to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    >> between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    >> loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    >> reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    >> doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    >> supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    >> and why ping packets go astray.
    >>
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    > Try tipping the D-Link or its antennae on its side, I have heard they tend
    > to radiate at 90 degrees to the antennae.

    Mine is the on-the-side type. The two antennae are both horizontal.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 19, 2009
  15. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    >> link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and
    >> the PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been
    >> able to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the
    >> router) between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never
    >> seen a 0% loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping
    >> times reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the
    >> router is doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at
    >> 80-85%, supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies
    >> so much, and why ping packets go astray.
    >>
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    > Change the channel on the access point as someone else locally may also
    > be using that channel. Better yet install inSSIDer on the client
    > machine and check what channels appear to be in use in the vicinity and
    > pick one that isn't (and is preferably at least 3 channels away from one
    > in use).

    Will try this.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 19, 2009
  16. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:29:42 +1300, Gib Bogle
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    > You probably don't want to buy a new wireless router. But if you do
    > I'd have no problem recommending a Linskys RangePlus model WRT110 .
    >
    > Our house has large steel beams between the floors and I wanted to be
    > able to use my PC upstairs in my office (where the modem & wireless
    > router lives) and my laptop downstairs on either the dining room table
    > or the bedroom. Both are at the other end of the house and I wasn't
    > sure it would work despite assurances from DSE.
    >
    > In both locations and outside on the deck I get 100% connectivity
    > levels. OTOH a wireless alarm system we tried did not work between
    > upstairs and downstairs.
    >
    > Can't remember what I paid for it. It was on sale along with a 1
    > terabyte external drive I bought at the same time. But DSE has it on
    > sale at $139.00 at the moment:
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4adbe94b025a68e62740c0a87f3b06e9/Product/View/XH9653

    I'm paying the price for being cheap. My ASUS netbook with 802.n (?)
    works well, but the cheapo ASUS card in the PC doesn't have enough
    horsepower.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 19, 2009
  17. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm puzzled by the rather unsatisfactory performance of the wireless
    > link I have set up at home. Upstairs I have a Dlink DSL G604T, and the
    > PC downstairs has an ASUS 802.11g network adapter. I haven't been able
    > to get a fully reliable connection (measured by pinging the router)
    > between the two. Using the ASUS card's ping test, I've never seen a 0%
    > loss rate. The loss varies between 10 and 30%, and the ping times
    > reported vary widely, from < 1 to 30 ms. This is when the router is
    > doing nothing, and the connection quality is reported at 80-85%,
    > supposedly excellent. I don't understand why ping time varies so much,
    > and why ping packets go astray.
    >
    > The downstairs room is not quite directly under the upstairs one.

    Thanks to all for useful suggestions. I have a few things to try out.
    One option is moving the router to a spot closer to the PC, but this
    means stringing cables around the room - not nice.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 19, 2009