    I put a password requirement on my router ? or = how do I keep others
    off my wireless connection?

    thanks!

    MizzGail, Sep 28, 2005

  2. MizzGail

    lowdes Guest

    Click on start run, type in cmd, hit enter. You'll have a DOS screen type
    in IPCONFIG hit enter, look for you default gateway, it is usally set to
    192.168.1.1, then go to IE go to http://192.168.1.1 or https://192.168.1.1
    it should ask for use name/password, try admin/admin and then you should be
    good to go.

    lowdes, Sep 28, 2005

  3. MizzGail

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "MizzGail" <> wrote in news:1127869397.966755.175350
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I just replaced a very aging router that went in a power outage. The
    > new one is great.
    > When I go to connect to the wireless network, I am shown several
    > wireless networks that I assume are my neighbors. Just for giggles I
    > clicked on one and it set this network required a password. Mine
    > doesn't.
    > Now that i go through my log, I see that other computers have jumped
    > onto my router via wireless. I have a belkin wireless g router. How do
    > I put a password requirement on my router ? or = how do I keep others
    > off my wireless connection?

    There you have some basics.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Also, if the router has MAC filtering (each wireless card has an unique
    MAC), then you can filter out other wireless card MAC's from accessing
    your network -- only allow your wireless card on your computer to access
    your network by giving its MAC in the router's ADMIN screen for MAC
    access, if your router has that feature.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 28, 2005
  4. MizzGail

    MizzGail Guest

    I'm confused. how does logging in as admin help me set a password on my
    network? I looked through the router software when I tip into the
    router, but I don't see a password setting.....

    MizzGail, Sep 28, 2005
  5. MizzGail

    MizzGail Guest

    Yes.. it allows the mac address security, but I have friends who come
    over, I don't want to have to add all the MAC addresses... (although it
    looks like I might have to) I'm looking for a way to just set a
    password...
    so like when you see the available wireless networks, you click on mine
    and it requires a password to connect....

    Thanks!

    MizzGail, Sep 28, 2005
  6. MizzGail

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    MizzGail <> wrote:

    > Yes.. it allows the mac address security, but I have friends who come
    > over, I don't want to have to add all the MAC addresses... (although it
    > looks like I might have to) I'm looking for a way to just set a
    > password...
    > so like when you see the available wireless networks, you click on mine
    > and it requires a password to connect....

    Right.
    I thoguht someone already got you started that direction.

    What you are looking for might also be called LEAP or WEP service; it's
    a security feature which does exactly what you are asking for.

    Someone else asked about logging in as admin because you won't have the
    option to set a password as any other user.

    Did the router come with a CD to help with setup? That's what the maker
    wanted you to use, and one of the questions in the setup process would
    be about making it secure or not. As I wrote before, it might be
    labelled as LEAP or WEP.

    Mitch, Sep 28, 2005
  7. MizzGail

    MizzGail Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > MizzGail <> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes.. it allows the mac address security, but I have friends who come
    > > over, I don't want to have to add all the MAC addresses... (although it
    > > looks like I might have to) I'm looking for a way to just set a
    > > password...
    > > so like when you see the available wireless networks, you click on mine
    > > and it requires a password to connect....

    > Right.
    > I thoguht someone already got you started that direction.
    >
    > What you are looking for might also be called LEAP or WEP service; it's
    > a security feature which does exactly what you are asking for.
    >
    > Someone else asked about logging in as admin because you won't have the
    > option to set a password as any other user.
    >
    > Did the router come with a CD to help with setup? That's what the maker
    > wanted you to use, and one of the questions in the setup process would
    > be about making it secure or not. As I wrote before, it might be
    > labelled as LEAP or WEP.

    Well, I'm at work at the moment, but I'm sure it came with a CD. I am
    not sure if I used it, I think I just hooked it up and went into the
    router via my IE.
    I have been reading the manual, but its kinda confusing.
    I'll play with this tonite with first the password thing (it does not
    ask me for a password but it says I can set one to get to the settings,
    perhaps this will lock down the network)
    If that doesn't work I'll try the MAC addresses.
    I also read in that link above about turning off the broadcast. I
    guess I can do this while its just us and turn it back on when friends
    come over so they can find the network.
    I'lllet ya all know how I make out, my family will be real annoyed if I
    kill the network, they will actually have to talk to eachother!!
    (LOL)

    thank you all for the input. =:0)

    Gail

    MizzGail, Sep 28, 2005
  8. MizzGail

    striker Guest

    Exactly what Mitch said you need to set up WEP security. With that WEP key
    (password) they will be able to log on. I discovered the same thing the
    other day, a neighbors network appeared and his was secured and mine wasn't.
    Now it is.

    striker, Sep 28, 2005
  9. MizzGail

    why? Guest

    On 28 Sep 2005 04:37:44 -0700, MizzGail wrote:

    >Mitch wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> MizzGail <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yes.. it allows the mac address security, but I have friends who come
    >> > over, I don't want to have to add all the MAC addresses... (although it
    >> > looks like I might have to) I'm looking for a way to just set a

    Go with the MAC address list.

    >> > password...
    >> > so like when you see the available wireless networks, you click on mine
    >> > and it requires a password to connect....

    You still haven't said what make/model. If requires it makes looking at
    the online manual much easier.

    >> Right.
    >> I thoguht someone already got you started that direction.
    >>
    >> What you are looking for might also be called LEAP or WEP service; it's
    >> a security feature which does exactly what you are asking for.

    WPA-PSK is better security.

    >> Someone else asked about logging in as admin because you won't have the
    >> option to set a password as any other user.
    >>
    >> Did the router come with a CD to help with setup? That's what the maker
    >> wanted you to use, and one of the questions in the setup process would
    >> be about making it secure or not. As I wrote before, it might be
    >> labelled as LEAP or WEP.

    >Well, I'm at work at the moment, but I'm sure it came with a CD. I am
    >not sure if I used it, I think I just hooked it up and went into the
    >router via my IE.
    >I have been reading the manual, but its kinda confusing.
    >I'll play with this tonite with first the password thing (it does not
    >ask me for a password but it says I can set one to get to the settings,
    >perhaps this will lock down the network)
    >If that doesn't work I'll try the MAC addresses.

    Do both.

    >I also read in that link above about turning off the broadcast. I
    >guess I can do this while its just us and turn it back on when friends
    >come over so they can find the network.

    Leave it off, you only need to tell them the SSID.

    A very handy utility is http://www.netswitcher.com/ , plus the beta
    module (which I haven't tried yet) for wireless networking profile
    switching.

    >I'lllet ya all know how I make out, my family will be real annoyed if I
    >kill the network, they will actually have to talk to eachother!!
    >(LOL)
    >
    >thank you all for the input. =:0)
    >
    >Gail

    Me

    why?, Sep 28, 2005
  10. MizzGail

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "MizzGail" <> wrote in news:1127903447.014390.94760
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Yes.. it allows the mac address security, but I have friends who come
    > over, I don't want to have to add all the MAC addresses... (although it
    > looks like I might have to) I'm looking for a way to just set a
    > password...

    Convenience as opposed to security, the choice is yours to make?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 28, 2005
  11. MizzGail

    MizzGail Guest

    Ok. I found how to enable the wpa and got it setup with a password...
    it worked for a few hours. Then it dropped my laptop connection and I
    could not get reconnected at all without disabling the security.

    I tried removing the default "auto connect" in my wireless connections
    on the laptop, and it would see my router, but not connect with the
    wpa.

    ipconfig showed no hung ip address....

    HMMMMMM......

    MizzGail, Oct 3, 2005
  12. MizzGail

    MizzGail Guest

    Oh.. and its a belkin something or other.. if the model number makes a
    differnce i'll look at it on the hardware. my book doesnt have a model
    number on it... :0\ strange

    MizzGail, Oct 3, 2005
  13. MizzGail

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "MizzGail" <> wrote in news:1128361891.161626.257350
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Ok. I found how to enable the wpa and got it setup with a password...
    > it worked for a few hours. Then it dropped my laptop connection and I
    > could not get reconnected at all without disabling the security.

    What can I say? Wireless can be flaky at times. What I did to circumvent
    a lot of issues with my wireless connection when I was using wireless was
    install the card's driver and configured the card using the O/S's Device
    Manager. I stopped using the card's utility to configure it or show
    signal strength which all can be done through the O/S. I did it for Win
    2K and XP and on XP I disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration Service
    that made the computer roam trying to connect to other networks in the
    area. When I did that, the wireless connection became as solid as a rock.

    > I tried removing the default "auto connect" in my wireless connections
    > on the laptop, and it would see my router, but not connect with the
    > wpa.

    You might want to get on the phone with Belkin and see if they can help.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 3, 2005
  14. MizzGail

    MizzGail Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "MizzGail" <> wrote in news:1128361891.161626.257350
    > @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Ok. I found how to enable the wpa and got it setup with a password...
    > > it worked for a few hours. Then it dropped my laptop connection and I
    > > could not get reconnected at all without disabling the security.

    > What can I say? Wireless can be flaky at times. What I did to circumvent
    > a lot of issues with my wireless connection when I was using wireless was
    > install the card's driver and configured the card using the O/S's Device
    > Manager. I stopped using the card's utility to configure it or show
    > signal strength which all can be done through the O/S. I did it for Win
    > 2K and XP and on XP I disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration Service
    > that made the computer roam trying to connect to other networks in the
    > area. When I did that, the wireless connection became as solid as a rock.
    >

    > > I tried removing the default "auto connect" in my wireless connections
    > > on the laptop, and it would see my router, but not connect with the
    > > wpa.

    > You might want to get on the phone with Belkin and see if they can help.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Well, I might have to go the mac address route. My main laptop that I
    use is a work laptop and its pretty locked down. No admin rights. I
    talked to the desktop tech today and he said that there are known
    issues with the wpa connection using a password. They've had other
    people at work mention the same issues.

    MizzGail, Oct 4, 2005
  15. MizzGail

    ryanguildford