    suppose my linksys router only see the netgear as one adress. Is
    there anyway to get back the connection to that computer? What about
    just plugging a network card to her netgear with out a computer?

    jkissing, May 10, 2004

  2. jkissing

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jkissing" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have cable on a home network of three computers. My daughter has
    > installed a netgear wireless router on one of my computer to give her
    > laptop the internet. This computer is now without the internet, I
    > suppose my linksys router only see the netgear as one adress. Is
    > there anyway to get back the connection to that computer? What about
    > just plugging a network card to her netgear with out a computer?

    Your question makes little or no sense. Which computer is now not getting
    Internet access? The laptop, a desktop, your cousin George's in Timbuktu?
    And what good would be plugging a NIC into a router with no PC attached?
    There won't even be power to the NIC.

    1) explain the problem clearly
    2) tell us what you have tried to resolve the problem
    3) tell us what operating systems you are using
    4) describe the hardware you are using and how it is all connected

    or

    5) call in someone and pay them to fix it.

    Toolman Tim, May 11, 2004

  3. jkissing

    Rick Merrill Guest

    jkissing wrote:
    > I have cable on a home network of three computers. My daughter has
    > installed a netgear wireless router on one of my computer to give her
    > laptop the internet. This computer is now without the internet, I
    > suppose my linksys router only see the netgear as one adress. Is
    > there anyway to get back the connection to that computer? What about
    > just plugging a network card to her netgear with out a computer?

    Reboot? what OS are you running? Do you know what DHCP is? (it gets
    the IP address for your PC from the router. ) - RM

    Rick Merrill, May 11, 2004
  4. jkissing

    Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:45:22 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:

    >"jkissing" <> wrote in message
    >> I have cable on a home network of three computers. My daughter has
    >> installed a netgear wireless router on one of my computer to give her
    >> laptop the internet. This computer is now without the internet, I
    >> suppose my linksys router only see the netgear as one adress. Is
    >> there anyway to get back the connection to that computer? What about
    >> just plugging a network card to her netgear with out a computer?

    >Your question makes little or no sense. Which computer is now not getting
    >Internet access? The laptop, a desktop, your cousin George's in Timbuktu?
    >And what good would be plugging a NIC into a router with no PC attached?
    >There won't even be power to the NIC.

    I know this is stupid but the logic being if I lose one computer
    connection, if I had a drone computer with a network card, maybe?

    >1) explain the problem clearly

    When the daughter's lap top router is connected within my
    network(linksys 4port wire router) I lose the conection on the one
    desktop.
    >2) tell us what you have tried to resolve the problem

    The daugher spent 30 minutes and $30 with netgear support.
    Now she can't connect but did have it for a while.
    >3) tell us what operating systems you are using

    Win98
    >4) describe the hardware you are using and how it is all connected

    I have 3 desktop computers(P1,2,4) connected from cable through a
    linksys wired router

    >or
    >
    >5) call in someone and pay them to fix it.

    The daughter phoned her netgrear support or $30, that was a bust. Time
    is(was) up, how is your patients?

    Thanks
    "George in Timbuktu"

    , May 11, 2004
  5. jkissing

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 05:35:16 GMT, wrote:

    >On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:45:22 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    ><tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>"jkissing" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have cable on a home network of three computers. My daughter has
    >>> installed a netgear wireless router on one of my computer to give her
    >>> laptop the internet.

    Backing up a second... Your daughter installed a wireless router on
    one of your computers? That doesn't make sense. You install a router
    into a network. You install a network card into a computer. Which is
    it?

    >This computer is now without the internet, I
    >>> suppose my linksys router only see the netgear as one adress. Is
    >>> there anyway to get back the connection to that computer? What about
    >>> just plugging a network card to her netgear with out a computer?

    >>Your question makes little or no sense. Which computer is now not getting
    >>Internet access? The laptop, a desktop, your cousin George's in Timbuktu?
    >>And what good would be plugging a NIC into a router with no PC attached?
    >>There won't even be power to the NIC.

    >I know this is stupid but the logic being if I lose one computer
    >connection, if I had a drone computer with a network card, maybe?

    Depends what you mean by "drone" and what that network card would be
    connected TO.

    >>1) explain the problem clearly

    >When the daughter's lap top router

    There is no such thing as a "lap top router". It's either a router or
    a network card.

    >is connected within my
    >network(linksys 4port wire router) I lose the conection on the one
    >desktop.

    I suspect that, if you indeed have two routers, you are using both as
    DHCP servers. This can be a problem. The computer that can't connect
    to the internet is picking up its TCP/IP settings from a router that
    is not connected to the internet.

    >>2) tell us what you have tried to resolve the problem

    >The daugher spent 30 minutes and $30 with netgear support.
    >Now she can't connect but did have it for a while.
    >>3) tell us what operating systems you are using

    >Win98
    >>4) describe the hardware you are using and how it is all connected

    >I have 3 desktop computers(P1,2,4) connected from cable through a
    >linksys wired router

    And that works. Great. Now describe the network configuration when
    you add in this wireless router and laptop.

    You should either do this:

    Cable modem -> your router -> wireless router -> computers

    OR

    cable modem -> wireless router -> computers

    Probably best to just take the wired router out of the equation
    entirely. You don't need it, it's redundant.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 11, 2004
  6. (jkissing) wrote in

    > I have cable on a home network of three computers. My daughter has
    > installed a netgear wireless router on one of my computer to give her
    > laptop the internet. This computer is now without the internet, I
    > suppose my linksys router only see the netgear as one adress. Is
    > there anyway to get back the connection to that computer? What about
    > just plugging a network card to her netgear with out a computer?

    Your home network usedta did lookie likey this:

    'puter #1-->

    'puter #2--> |Linksys router|-->|Cable Modem|--> WWW

    'puter #3-->

    Now, your female biological recipient makee it lookee likey this:

    'puter #1-->

    'puter #2--> |Linksys router|-->|Cable Modem|--> WWW

    'puter #3-->

    Netgear Wireless router-->

    Really, what'd be ideal is a WAP (Wireless Access Point) where that
    Netgear router is plugged in. See, then the WAP would just act like one
    computer in that your Linksys would assign it an IP address: 192.168.1.104
    or something like that, and 'puters with wiresless cards would just
    recognize the WAP's signal as a wireless network -- badda bing.

    The thing about plugging another router, then another brand of router into
    your Linksys Home network may complicate it somewhat... but we'll have a
    thought about it anyway...

    What happens is, coming backwards from the WWW to your work stations is
    like this: your cable modem gets the WWW DNS address, 24.64.223.206, or
    something like that, then your Linksys router's address, from the 'puter
    side, becomes 192.168.1.1, at default settings. Now, in your Linksys GUI,
    at the DHCP tab, (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) *you* enable and
    set the range for your LAN IP addresses.

    If you stick another *router* (as opposed to a WAP, which can go anywhere)
    into some empty port on the back of your Linksys router: 1) It has to be
    in the correct port, the "Uplink" port, and then Port #1, as a rule, is
    disabled; or, 2) there *could* be some conflict in the Linksys and Netgear
    configs... but #2 doesn't seem to be the most likely offending condition.

    So, in the information you provide, there could be 2 things wrong; but,
    I'd power down my network, break out the manuals, or display them on one
    of the computers, and make sure the ethernet hookups are all configured
    correctly - with the Netgear router plugged into the "Uplink" port, and #1
    port *empty* - and tightly plugged in. Then make sure all the workstations
    are shut down. Then power the network back up, watching for the lights to
    indicated the "handshakes" are finished. Then boot your admin station -
    and first check to see if you are online.

    If not, goto the Linksys GUI and run through those settings.

    One quick way to do this is goto your Linksys GUI > Setup tab > Status tab
    > then click "DHCP Release" button - let it burp and flash some zeros -

    then click the "DHCP Renew" button and you should get all your necessary
    IP address information displayed.

    If your admin station is WinXP you can also use this little sequence:

    Start > Accessories > Command Prompt type and enter each of these, one at
    a time, but wait for the readout to display and the cursor to prompt you -
    letting you know that each operation has finished:

    ipconfig /release

    ipconfig /renew

    ipconfig /all

    That ought to do it for your network. As far as accessing the Netgear
    router from the wireless 'puter... that would be an isolated issue now.

    Good luck!

    Bucky Breeder, May 11, 2004