Wireless router - not working questions open

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dimitri, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. dimitri

    dimitri Guest

    hi, i have a new Toshiba Satelite laptop with build in wireless.

    Now i just bought a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless router.

    somehow i can't make it work. i have a server, a linux computer who
    also shares the broadband internet. than i have 3 computers (apples and
    windows) hanging on ethernet cables.

    my network is set up with static IP addresses and i would like to keep
    it that way.

    the manual tells me it has to be DHCP. when i connect to the wireless
    router, i an pick up it's signal, very weak, even it's right next to my
    laptop. but even i can find the signal, i can't access anything on the
    network.

    do i need to share more information to get a result, does anyone have a
    solution.

    thanks a ot, dimitri

    dimitri, Jun 22, 2006

  2. dimitri wrote:
    > hi, i have a new Toshiba Satelite laptop with build in wireless.
    >
    > Now i just bought a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless router.
    >
    > somehow i can't make it work. i have a server, a linux computer who
    > also shares the broadband internet. than i have 3 computers (apples and
    > windows) hanging on ethernet cables.
    >
    > my network is set up with static IP addresses and i would like to keep
    > it that way.
    >
    > the manual tells me it has to be DHCP. when i connect to the wireless
    > router, i an pick up it's signal, very weak, even it's right next to my
    > laptop. but even i can find the signal, i can't access anything on the
    > network.

    I've not seen a router yet that requires it to be DHCP. But if that's
    what it says in your manual, why not give it a try? What have you got to
    lose? As for the weak signal, that's puzzling. What kind of sorry-ass
    router have you got? I think I'd be taking it back to the store and
    exchange for a good one.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 22, 2006

  3. dimitri

    dimitri Guest

    It's a NETGEAR 54 Mbps WGR614.

    and i think that the weak signal has to do with not beeing set up
    correctly, that's where i hoped to get some input from people.

    to change my server to DCHP is quite a hassle for me. I have the whole
    network set up, communicate with access and mysql and other settings,
    so i was hoping i can make it work with static ip. as you say, there
    must be a way.

    regards, dimitri

    dimitri, Jun 22, 2006
  4. dimitri wrote:
    > It's a NETGEAR 54 Mbps WGR614.
    >
    > and i think that the weak signal has to do with not beeing set up
    > correctly, that's where i hoped to get some input from people.
    >
    > to change my server to DCHP is quite a hassle for me. I have the whole
    > network set up, communicate with access and mysql and other settings,
    > so i was hoping i can make it work with static ip. as you say, there
    > must be a way.

    I'm not aware of any setting that you can make that gives you a weak
    signal. I have links up and running (and have been running for years)
    that over several miles. How can you make a setup setting give you weak
    signal? Something's wrong.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 22, 2006
  5. dimitri

    dimitri Guest

    I assumed it is plug and play. how difficult can it be? however, i
    plugged the wireless router in to my ethernet router and expect it to
    connect.

    but it does not. can it be faulty, should i bring it back to the shop?

    regards, dimitri

    dimitri, Jun 22, 2006
  6. dimitri

    Au79 Guest

    dimitri wrote:

    > I assumed it is plug and play. how difficult can it be? however, i
    > plugged the wireless router in to my ethernet router and expect it to
    > connect.
    >
    > but it does not. can it be faulty, should i bring it back to the shop?
    >
    > regards, dimitri

    Take it back to the shop and get a different brand, maybe D-Link or Linksys.
    If the problem persists, at least you know it really is a configuration
    issue.

    Au79, Jun 22, 2006
  7. dimitri wrote:
    > I assumed it is plug and play. how difficult can it be? however, i
    > plugged the wireless router in to my ethernet router and expect it to
    > connect.
    >
    > but it does not. can it be faulty, should i bring it back to the shop?

    You don't just plug one router into another and expect everything to
    work right. Since you are running on static IPs, you need to give the
    second (wireless) router an unique static IP and set it to not be a DHCP
    server.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 22, 2006
  8. dimitri

    Top Guest

    dimitri submitted this idea :
    > I assumed it is plug and play. how difficult can it be?
    > however, i plugged the wireless router in to my ethernet router
    > and expect it to connect.

    > but it does not. can it be faulty, should i bring it back to
    > the shop?

    > regards, dimitri

    I have the same 614 and have had no problems with it. I will
    admit that the router and wireless machine are located one room
    from each other.

    Top

    Top, Jun 22, 2006