    get the router seen by the computer since, either wired or wireless.
    So my question is, can it be anything other than a bad router?

    , Feb 13, 2008

  2. Ken Triebold Guest

    Reset the router while the Ethernet cable is connected to the laptop. I
    think you do that by holding in the orange button on the front of the router
    for several seconds until the orange light goes out, but check the manual to
    be sure. Then go through the setup once again.

    If that doesn't work I would get a new wireless card for the laptop.

    Finally, once you get it all working, I would update the firmware on the
    WRT54G.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Guest

    Thanks,

    I did get a linkssys g card to go with the router, so that should be
    fine now. We reset the router, actually re-did the whole setup.
    Everyhting went fine aain until it came time to set up the wireless,
    when the linksys software said it was unable to establish a wireless
    connection. Rigth now the cable modem is hooke dup to the router and
    an ethernet cable is connecting the router to the computer. We can
    get the internet through the cable, we just can't get a wireless
    connection. As odd as it seems to blame the this on a bad router I'm
    running out of other ideas. Any other thoughts?

    On Feb 13, 8:57 am, "Ken Triebold" <> wrote:
    > Reset the router while the Ethernet cable is connected to the laptop. I
    > think you do that by holding in the orange button on the front of the router
    > for several seconds until the orange light goes out, but check the manual to
    > be sure. Then go through the setup once again.
    >
    > If that doesn't work I would get a new wireless card for the laptop.
    >
    > Finally, once you get it all working, I would update the firmware on the
    > WRT54G.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Set upa  friend's laptop yesterday for wireless broadband access.  I
    > > followed the steps and set up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with an
    > > old Micorsoft MN-520 notebook card.  Everything was fine until we
    > > actually tried to surf the net and the speed fluctuated from 1 to 11
    > > Mbps.  So I went into the LinkSys troubleshooter where they said to
    > > hook up the router directly with an ethernet cable.  When I did this
    > > the laptop couldn't find the router at all.  I have not been able to
    > > get the router seen by the computer since, either wired or wireless.
    > > So my question is, can it be anything other than a bad router?- Hide quoted text -

    , Feb 13, 2008
  4. HI
    While you are on the cable, configure the Router and the computer to be
    ready and set correctly for the Wireless.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 13, 2008
  5. Ken Triebold Guest

    Here are just a couple things to check.

    1. Does your wireless card show up in device manager, and does it say that
    this device is working properly?

    2. Are you trying to make the wireless connection with the Linksys software
    or Windows Wireless Zero software? I think you will have better luck with
    Windows Wireless Zero. Also be sure that the Ethernet cable is completely
    disconnected at both ends when trying to make the wireless connection (dumb
    I know).

    3. Is this router new? If not was it known to be working before? Most likely
    the router is OK so don't make a judgment about that too quickly.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 13, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Feb 13, 12:43 pm, "Ken Triebold" <> wrote:
    > Here are just a couple things to check.
    >
    > 1. Does your wireless card show up in device manager, and does it say that
    > this device is working properly?
    >
    > 2. Are you trying to make the wireless connection with the Linksys software
    > or Windows Wireless Zero software? I think you will have better luck with
    > Windows Wireless Zero. Also be sure that the Ethernet cable is completely
    > disconnected at both ends when trying to make the wireless connection (dumb
    > I know).
    >
    > 3. Is this router new? If not was it known to be working before? Most likely
    > the router is OK so don't make a judgment about that too quickly.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > Thanks,
    >
    > I did get a linkssys g card to go with the router, so that should be
    > fine now.  We reset the router, actually re-did the whole setup.
    > Everyhting went fine aain until it came time to set up the wireless,
    > when the linksys software said it was unable to establish a wireless
    > connection.  Rigth now the cable modem is hooke dup to the router and
    > an ethernet cable is connecting the router to the computer.  We can
    > get the internet through the cable, we just can't get a wireless
    > connection.  As odd as it seems to blame the this on a bad router I'm
    > running out of other ideas.  Any other thoughts?
    >
    > On Feb 13, 8:57 am, "Ken Triebold" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Reset the router while the Ethernet cable is connected to the laptop. I
    > > think you do that by holding in the orange button on the front of the
    > > router
    > > for several seconds until the orange light goes out, but check the manual
    > > be sure. Then go through the setup once again.

    > > If that doesn't work I would get a new wireless card for the laptop.

    > > Finally, once you get it all working, I would update the firmware on the
    > > WRT54G.

    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > Set upa friend's laptop yesterday for wireless broadband access. I
    > > > followed the steps and set up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with an
    > > > old Micorsoft MN-520 notebook card. Everything was fine until we
    > > > actually tried to surf the net and the speed fluctuated from 1 to 11
    > > > Mbps. So I went into the LinkSys troubleshooter where they said to
    > > > hook up the router directly with an ethernet cable. When I did this
    > > > the laptop couldn't find the router at all. I have not been able to
    > > > get the router seen by the computer since, either wired or wireless.
    > > > So my question is, can it be anything other than a bad router?- Hide
    > > > quoted text -

    Thanks to all who responded. Everything is working properly. My
    friend got on with Linksys customer support and after a few people
    couldn't help him one of the senior techs was able to get him
    straightened out. For whatever reason the router would not see his
    network, it only saw a Linksys network (or something like that). My
    guess is that when I reset the router after the intital set up, I may
    have ended the initialization before it was complete. This must have
    caused the router to go back to it's default settings and not see any
    other networks. Still doesn't make a lot of sense but that's the best
    I can come up with. I've set up a wireless conection both with
    Microsoft (802.11b, router got fried by lightining strike) and
    SMC(802.11a, using 5Ghz band so it's nice that it doesn't get
    interfered with by my cordless phone and microwave) equipment and
    never had near this much trouble. It always happens that when you
    offer to be a friend's "expert" the shiat hits the fan.

    Anyway, he's up and running.
    Thanks again for your help.

    , Feb 13, 2008