    I want to buy a wireless router that can route my internal traffic to internet offering a good fw solution (NAT) but also to offer print server services and file server services (network storage on a USB 250GB HDD) in the same time. Is there a product that can do all that? Any recommendations?

    Regards,
    Jo
    Jo, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Hi
    There are few products that offer a printer server as part of the Wireless
    Cable/DSL Router.
    Search linksys.com. d-Link.com, and netgear.com
    Network Storage (NAS) are stand alone units.
    You should take into consideration that by buying a combo you do not get the
    best product of each the category, and you restrict your future ability to
    upgrade individual components.
    I know that it is a mess to have multiple units and many cables, but
    technology wise (as oppose to esthetic) it is a better solution. I would
    rather concentrate on a nice cabinet to hide every thing (but the Antenna)
    than compromise on technology
    In addition using a Network ready printer yield much better results the OEM
    printer server are not fully compatible with many printers.
    Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    NAS - http://www.ezlan.net/nas.html
    Network Printer - http://www.ezlan.net/faq#AIO
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Jo" <> wrote in message
    Hi guys,

    I just bought a brand new laptop and I want to change my home network
    configuration a little bit...
    Until now, all the computers used my laptop to access the internet using a
    complicated scheme involving lots of cables, switches etc.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 30, 2006

  3. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Hi Jack,
    I appreciate you getting back to me and I would like to thank you for the
    time you spent answering my post. I must admit that having all-in-one box
    might not be the best solution, but for the moment I would like to use the
    hardware that I already own (external hdd, printers, desktop pc) :-( .
    Probably I'll choose a compromise solution like:
    http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=5246029
    Regards,
    Jo

    Jo, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Jo

    Dave B. Guest

    There are routers available that allow an external USB hard drive to be
    connected and set up as NAS.

    Dave B., Aug 30, 2006
  5. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Hi Dave,
    This is what I'm really looking for.. one wireless router with usb plug for
    hdd that can offer print service. Could you name some pls?
    Regards,
    Jo

    Jo, Aug 30, 2006
  6. Jo

    Jo Guest

    I have draw a scheme of my network..maybe it helps

    internet

    cable modem (public IP address is alocated by a DHCP server)

    RJ45
    _________|_________
    |_______router______|-----wi-fi antenna--(
    00ft )----(802.11b/g)laptops (2)
    | | |
    | | |_____(RJ45) LAN computers (3)
    printers(2) usb 2.0 hdd
    usb 2.0 (250GB)

    Basically, I want to connect my printers and my usb hdd to a single device,
    that can offer routing, print server services and network storage (access to
    the usb external hdd) via LAN/WI-FI interfaces... It must be out there a
    single box capable....

    Jo, Aug 30, 2006
  7. Jo

    Dave B. Guest

    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/SuperGWirelessRouters/WGT634U.aspx

    Dave B., Aug 30, 2006
  8. Jo

    Dave B. Guest

    You may need to go with a separate print server though.
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS101.aspx

    Dave B., Aug 30, 2006
  9. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Thank you Dave for your reply. I will consider your recommendations. Still,
    I hope there is a all-in-one box that fits my needs...

    Regards,
    Jo

    Jo, Aug 31, 2006
  10. Jo

    Dave B. Guest

    I like to saty away from all in one devices if possible, if one portion if
    it fails, it's more expensive to replace an entireall in one device than an
    add on device usually.

    Dave B., Aug 31, 2006
  11. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Very good argument! Probably I 'll folow your advice.. Part of it anyway..
    I'll buy the router for the moment and use one of the desktop pc as a print
    server. Or might be a good ideea to "resurect" my old PIII@1.13/256 ram, and
    put it back to work :)).
    Thank you again for your time.
    Regards.