    Maybe it can help some of you trying to cover some large areas with
    your routers.

    Phil AB9IL
    AB9IL, Feb 25, 2010

  2. AB9IL

    me here Guest

    AB9IL wrote:

    > Recently I had a need to get substantial improvement in my wireless
    > router's performance, and thought a yagi antenna would help. Whoa! It
    > did indeed help, so I have posted some pictures and a short how-to on
    > the web at:
    >
    > http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi7.html
    >
    > It is the same 15 element yagi used for extending the range of USB
    > wireless adapters, but connected via pigtail to a router. I can now
    > connect indoors through concrete and plaster walls or provide wi-fi
    > connectivity to laptop and Ipod touch users up to 300 meters away, in
    > the presence of interference.
    >
    > Maybe it can help some of you trying to cover some large areas with
    > your routers.
    >
    > Phil AB9IL

    The only downside is that the router yagi will concentrate the signal
    path over about 30 degrees, which greatly restricts the coverage the
    access point is able to provide.

    I have also played about with this type of antenna and you might find
    my write up of interest - refers to a $25 cheap Chinese yagi compared
    to other antenna types.

    http://users.picknowl.com.au/~gloaming_agnet/ant1.html

    Hardly worth trying to make one at that price.
    me here, Feb 25, 2010

  3. AB9IL

    u Guest

    AB9IL <> wrote in news:3a461770-4d5e-41cd-b243-
    :

    > http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi7.html

    The record was set using 2 parabolic dish reflectors, as I recall over
    100km at both ends. Dish reflectors by design I think provide the largest
    gain but are difficult to aim. I am using a homemade 1/2 parabolic to focus
    the signal onto a 5 inch wubber duckey antenna that came with my USB radio.
    Works fine, no need to purchase manufactured antennas for the home user
    just wanting to connect to the net.
    u, Feb 25, 2010
  4. AB9IL

    AnthonyL Guest

    On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:30:44 -0800 (PST), AB9IL
    <> wrote:

    >Recently I had a need to get substantial improvement in my wireless
    >router's performance, and thought a yagi antenna would help. Whoa! It
    >did indeed help, so I have posted some pictures and a short how-to on
    >the web at:
    >
    >http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi7.html
    >
    >It is the same 15 element yagi used for extending the range of USB
    >wireless adapters, but connected via pigtail to a router. I can now
    >connect indoors through concrete and plaster walls or provide wi-fi
    >connectivity to laptop and Ipod touch users up to 300 meters away, in
    >the presence of interference.
    >
    >Maybe it can help some of you trying to cover some large areas with
    >your routers.

    Isn't it necessary to boost the signal of the receiving equipment as
    well, or is it sufficient that the sensitivity on the router antenna
    has been improved enough to still receive the weaker connected device?

    Thanks

    --
    AnthonyL
    AnthonyL, Feb 26, 2010
  5. AB9IL

    seaweedsl Guest

    > Isn't it necessary to boost the signal of the receiving equipment as
    > well, or is it sufficient that the sensitivity on the router antenna
    > has been improved enough to still receive the weaker connected device?

    Antennas work for both transmit & receive, so higher gain is in both
    directions for any radios+antennas within it's field of coverage.
    Weaker or not.

    It's when you up the transmit amp alone that you get lopsided
    effects. Thus the general rule is to address weak connections with
    antenna gain not radio amps.

    Steve
    seaweedsl, Feb 26, 2010