    whether WRT54G will connect to the internet via a commercial
    AP instead of cable.

    --David
    J David Ellis, Jan 21, 2006

  2. J David Ellis

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    What you would like to do is called Wireless in WDS Mode or Wireless
    Repeater. (http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ) WRT54 as is can Not do
    it. Wrt54g v.1-4 (not 5) with 3rd party firmware might. There is Wireless
    Hardware from Buffalo Tech. Belkin and others that is WDS out of the Box.

    Alternatively, you can get a Linksys WET11 (It is a Driverless Client card)
    and plug it to the Router's WAN Port.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 21, 2006

  3. At http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2814 the
    following Note has me wondering whether a Belkin WDS-capable
    router would mix with Linksys adapters and print servers.
    The article was last updated Feb 2004. Is the warning
    germane two years later? (I have not yet bought any of the
    boxes.)

    "Note: The WDS feature is not completely specified in IEEE
    or Wifi standards. Therefore interoperability between 802.11
    products of different vendors is not guaranteed."

    --David

    J David Ellis, Jan 22, 2006