Wireless router configured - laptop not accessing using WPA

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Newtechie, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Newtechie

    Newtechie Guest

    Hi all - I just got a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a WPC54G notebook
    card. I have a small network consisting of a desktop and laptop. The
    desktop has no problems connecting to the internet. However, the laptop
    does. I used the set up discs for both installations. The notebook card
    monitor
    tells me "no association with the access point" but when I place the mouse
    cursor
    over the connection icon in the system tray, it tells me I have an excellent
    signal
    and speed is 54mbps with a 'acquiring network address' message. I disabled
    DHCP
    and manually assigned an IP address but when I look in the properties of the
    card,
    it's all zeros. On a stranger note, when I change the wireless security to
    WEP, it
    connects and works fine but the speed drops to 36mbps. I want to use WPA
    since I hear it's more secure. I have the SSID and key entered correctly so
    I know
    that's not an issue. Can someone please help me?

    Thanks,
    newtechie
    Newtechie, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Hmm If it works just find when you are not using WPA, and it doesn't work
    when you are using WPA, then either you are entering the key wrong, or you
    are not using the same kind of WPA as the access point is, or your machine
    doesn't support WPA.

    Your post is confusing, if the card is showing "acquiring network address"
    then it is not configure to use a static address, or the address is not
    configure correctly.. By the way 36 mbps is IMHO way faster than any
    internet connection you are likely to have coming into your home. There
    would for internet browsing be no noticeable difference between a 36 mbps
    connection link and a 54 mbps connection link when you are connecting to the
    internet at 5 ~ 6 mbps.

    --
    David Hettel
    Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Hi

    Assuming that the basic I OK since it works with WEP.

    First, make sure that the Wireless client is WPA capable, log to Linksys
    support and get the latest firmware and drivers for the Card.

    Then use pass phrase to generating a key in the Router, and copy the actual
    key to the Wireless client. Wireless Hardware might differ in the way that
    its produce the key from the pass phrase.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 17, 2006
  4. Newtechie

    Newtechie Guest

    Thanks everyone for your help. Wireless is up and running! I'm thinking it
    was
    a firewall issue. I switched from Sygate to ZoneAlarm and so far so good.

    Newtechie

    Newtechie, Sep 19, 2006
  5. Your router and adapter are compatible. Tbey may offer you WPA or WPA2 or
    both coupled with TKIP or AES encryption. Make sure the router and card are
    talking to each on this same basis - whichever you choose.

    When the dust settles and it is all going I recommend you go to
    'grc.com/password' (well I have) and pick up a pseudo random generated 63
    character ASCII key. Read all the blurb from Steve Gibson - he is a good guy.
    You will also find a fistful of security tips/broadcasts and some free
    software. A short key for WPA is breakable and might be open to dictionary
    attacks. WEP is seriously broken. Do not use unless no other option. If you
    do use a long key remember to save it safe somewhere in a text file - you
    will never remember it which doesn't matter because you could always start
    again. Steve reckons using current technology it should take about three
    million years to break a 63 char key - which should cover it for most of us!

    =?Utf-8?B?b2xpdmVyX3RpZ2Vy?=, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Newtechie

    Newtechie Guest

    Thanks for that site Oliver! Quick question though - if I decide to use one
    of those passwords, how would I update it in Windows?

    Newtechie, Sep 21, 2006