    his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    greatly appreciated.
    , Jan 25, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
    > $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
    > looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
    > filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
    > configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
    > X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
    > product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
    > everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
    > his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Linksys WRT54G with third party DD-WRT firmware. $153 from Ascent.
    Stay away from D-Link!
    Maximum Damage, Jan 25, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
    > $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
    > looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
    > filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
    > configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
    > X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
    > product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
    > everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
    > his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Go to this page http://openwrt.org/.

    There is about a months reading.
    While you do not have to change over to Openwrt,the hardware
    that is compatable is the best.
    DO NOT BUY A VERSION 5 WRT54G,they do not run linux as
    firmware,
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 25, 2006
  4. grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Go to this page http://openwrt.org/.
    >
    > There is about a months reading.
    > While you do not have to change over to Openwrt,the hardware
    > that is compatable is the best.
    > DO NOT BUY A VERSION 5 WRT54G,they do not run linux as
    > firmware,
    > grumpy

    Further to this the WRT54G v4 is the last of the routers that run Linux,
    The next model that runs linux as firmware (such as OpenWRT, DD-WRT) is
    the WRT54GL.
    TechPacific the Linksys distributor in NZ, are still selling the v4 as
    of last week.
    Maximum Damage, Jan 25, 2006
  5. shannon Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
    > $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
    > looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
    > filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
    > configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
    > X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
    > product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
    > everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
    > his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    I'm using a wrt54g with hyperwrt/tofu
    http://www.polarcloud.com/tofu

    The firmware is what makes a good router, and there are more options
    with the wrt than anything else, QoS, UPnP, static DHCP, adjustable
    power, antenna selection, all comes with the custom firmware.
    The stock firmware also had some issues with bittorrent DHT UPnP etc,
    read the utorrent or azureus faqs if this means anything to you.
    shannon, Jan 25, 2006
  6. m@t@1 Guest

    Thanks for the prompt responses!! Looks like all the options you have
    presented covers what i was after. Later Guys!
    m@t@1, Jan 26, 2006
  7. You guys are great! Many thanks for the prompt responses.
    Aldrin Fabricius, Jan 26, 2006
  8. Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:48:26 -0800, wrote:

    > Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
    > $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
    > looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
    > filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
    > configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
    > X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
    > product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
    > everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
    > his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Psst. An ethernet socket will ensure that almost all OS known to person
    will work.

    Web interfaces are ubiquitous these days on routers, modems, NAS, etc.

    Final thought. These machine have a Penguin ( Linux/Open source ) software
    in them. Ms Penguin loves to talk to everybody.
    Gordon, Jan 26, 2006
  9. Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:43:17 +1300, Maximum Damage wrote:

    > Linksys WRT54G with third party DD-WRT firmware. $153 from Ascent.
    > Stay away from D-Link!

    In your view, why?
    Gordon, Jan 26, 2006
  10. shannon wrote:

    > The firmware is what makes a good router, and there are more options
    > with the wrt than anything else, QoS, UPnP, static DHCP, adjustable
    > power, antenna selection, all comes with the custom firmware.
    > The stock firmware also had some issues with bittorrent DHT UPnP etc,
    > read the utorrent or azureus faqs if this means anything to you.

    Have you tried the STA -client mode, Shannon,if so,what
    sort of results.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 26, 2006
  11. Aldrin Fabricius wrote:

    > You guys are great! Many thanks for the prompt responses.

    Enjoy your reading.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 26, 2006
  12. Steve Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:48:26 -0800, wrote:

    > Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
    > $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
    > looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
    > filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
    > configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
    > X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
    > product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
    > everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
    > his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    I found that the only product that does do all of these ( and I'm still
    not certain that they support M$'s mickey mouse VPN ) is the
    Linksys WAG-54G[1]. Spent most of last weekend looking thtrough specs, so
    you timed it well :)

    [1] Without rolling your own Linksys router ( WRT-54G and
    http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g works out *much*
    cheaper )
    Steve, Jan 26, 2006
  13. Maximus Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:43:17 +1300, Maximum Damage wrote:
    >
    >> Linksys WRT54G with third party DD-WRT firmware. $153 from Ascent.
    >> Stay away from D-Link!

    > In your view, why?

    With my DI-724 the wireless it would just stop working for no reason,and
    need a reboot to get going again. Plus the general concensus of Dlink
    users was that Dlink customer support was Crap (TM)
    Plus the third party firmware available for the Linksys products has
    MUCH better support.
    Maximus, Jan 26, 2006
  14. Steve wrote:
    > > Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
    > > $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
    > > looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
    > > filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
    > > configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
    > > X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
    > > product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
    > > everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
    > > his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
    > > greatly appreciated.

    > I found that the only product that does do all of these ( and I'm still
    > not certain that they support M$'s mickey mouse VPN ) is the

    <snip>

    I'm curious: Exactly what is mickey mouse about M$'s VPN

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 26, 2006
  15. Steve Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:31:47 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >[snip]
    >> I found that the only product that does do all of these ( and I'm still
    >> not certain that they support M$'s mickey mouse VPN ) is the

    > <snip>
    >
    > I'm curious: Exactly what is mickey mouse about M$'s VPN
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Seriously, it would take pages and pages. Suffice to say that M$ and Cisco
    spent millions developing a decent system in IPSec, but still don't push
    it. And there are far more secure versions than that available.

    All of which are much safer than pptp.

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 26, 2006
  16. Richard Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:43:17 +1300, Maximum Damage wrote:
    >

    >>Linksys WRT54G with third party DD-WRT firmware. $153 from Ascent.
    >>Stay away from D-Link!

    > In your view, why?

    All my d-link AP's (dwl-2000ap and dwl-2000ap+) various hardware revisions all
    have issues where they just have not done what they say they will do reliably.

    They say that you can bridge 2 of them, and you can set it up, and you can ping
    some hosts on the other end of the wireless bridge, but not all, seems there is
    some undocumented mac address limit that it will bridge - seems to be somewhere
    about 4. Also you cant take a mac address from one end of the bridge and move it
    to the other and have it work without powercycling both ends of the link, great
    for moving the laptop from the shed back to the house etc.

    Newer firmware and broadcast wouldnt work, but only one way, so arp broke. I had
    to set up a continuous ping from one end to keep things working. Reboot them and
    maybe broadcast would work the other direction across it - still only some IPs
    visable.

    So I decide to give up on a bridge and have a client connecting to an AP. Same
    issues with number of mac addresses. Update firmware again (this was several
    months later) - suddenly the client mode options change and instead of
    specifying a mac address of the ap to client to, it wants the SSID - cant even
    specify the channel. So instead of connecting to the AP in the house thats on
    the lan, it connects to the one in the shed thats plugged into itself. Because
    there is no spanning tree it just sets up a broadcast storm repeating itself.
    Back to the old firmware so I can specify the AP in the house.

    Then add that turning on either encryption on any mode is hit and miss if things
    will associate with it or just sit there not getting a DHCP from it.

    I swapped all the shit out for 2 wrt54gs's and stuck sveasoft firmware on them,
    ticked WDS, put in each others mac address and it worked. Turn on WPA-PSK -
    still works. Stably, fast (faster the the dlinks when they did work, even tho
    WDS repeating should have a very noticable impact on speeds) and just goes and
    goes and goes without problems.

    Thruout the endevours with dlink I had so many BS solutions, the "csrs" were not
    aware what firmware was on there FTP telling me that versions I had did not
    exist or were for the wrong AP, I was told that they were not able to do what I
    wanted (which is quite true) despite it being in the spec sheet and the manuals,
    and in general my opinion of dlink is so low that they make an ISP helpdesk look
    positivly genius.
    Richard, Jan 26, 2006
  17. shannon Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> The firmware is what makes a good router, and there are more options
    >> with the wrt than anything else, QoS, UPnP, static DHCP, adjustable
    >> power, antenna selection, all comes with the custom firmware.
    >> The stock firmware also had some issues with bittorrent DHT UPnP etc,
    >> read the utorrent or azureus faqs if this means anything to you.

    > Have you tried the STA -client mode, Shannon,if so,what
    > sort of results.
    > grumpy

    No, but I'm quite keen to try it.
    Thats where the WiFi connects to the WAN and the wired ports are NAT for
    the local network, is that right ?
    Could I use that with NZ Wireless ?
    Come in Steven Worthington.
    shannon, Jan 31, 2006