    with upload/download speeds by only using cables? Would they stay connected
    without interference from the phones? I'm sure I'm leaving something out
    here.

    3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina, Oct 10, 2007

  2. Hi
    The issues of security that are associated with Wireless are None Existing
    with wire.
    Wire in general is 3 to 5 time faster than Wireless, it is very stable and
    Not affected by the environment.
    Please Notice that if you Internet speed is lower than the Wireless
    capacity, switching to wire would not make your Internet faster.
    The same for security issues that are not related to wireless like spyware
    and Viruses have to be taken into consideration in both wire and wireless.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 10, 2007

  3. 3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:51:10 -0400, "3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina"
    <3putt@PawleysIslandSC> wrote:

    >Not a dilemma, but I have two pc's sitting next to each other. RJ45 cables
    >would reach the router and modem with no problem. The only thing I would
    >save is the clutter of the cables. I now have two older Microsoft wireless
    >USB 2.0 adapters for the pc's. and one for the laptop located in another
    >room. I often lose connections with the adapters from the two pc's, and
    >rarely use the laptop wireless. Our 2.4ghz phones interfere with the
    >adapters at times, even though I've changed channels on the adapters. Would
    >the computers be more secure if I were using RJ45 cable? Would it matter
    >with upload/download speeds by only using cables? Would they stay connected
    >without interference from the phones? I'm sure I'm leaving something out
    >here.

    Yes. Yes. Yes.

    But there are an infinite number of details that would be relevant here. You
    have to decide what you want to accomplish, and what your priorities are.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Oct 10, 2007
  4. 3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina

    Barb Bowman Guest

    how old? are they 802.11b only? these would be really really slow
    compared to wire. also, if these are older pc's with USB 1.0 ports,
    it would be even slower.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 10, 2007
  5. No they are both use USB 2.0, both adapters and router: 11g. I used the
    word "older" because they are Microsoft brand router and adapters, which
    Microsoft stopped selling about 2 years ago, and no longer support with
    drivers, etc. Even a Vista compatibility test indicated Microsoft no longer
    supported their own hardward brand with Vista drivers. But I did manage a
    workaround to get Vista to recognize them.

    3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina, Oct 10, 2007
  6. 3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina

    Barb Bowman Guest

    if you have the MN700, be aware that it could not be certified with
    WPA because throughput was too slow. And I do NOT advise that you
    use WEP as it is not safe.

    if you are going to use wireless, suggest replacing the router with
    one that supports WPA and offers reasonable speed.

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:17 -0400, "3Putt from CoastalSouth
    Carolina" <3putt@PawleysIslandSC> wrote:

    >No they are both use USB 2.0, both adapters and router: 11g. I used the
    >word "older" because they are Microsoft brand router and adapters, which
    >Microsoft stopped selling about 2 years ago, and no longer support with
    >drivers, etc. Even a Vista compatibility test indicated Microsoft no longer
    >supported their own hardward brand with Vista drivers. But I did manage a
    >workaround to get Vista to recognize them.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> how old? are they 802.11b only? these would be really really slow
    >> compared to wire. also, if these are older pc's with USB 1.0 ports,
    >> it would be even slower.
    >>
    >> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:51:10 -0400, "3Putt from CoastalSouth
    >> Carolina" <3putt@PawleysIslandSC> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not a dilemma, but I have two pc's sitting next to each other. RJ45
    >>>cables
    >>>would reach the router and modem with no problem. The only thing I would
    >>>save is the clutter of the cables. I now have two older Microsoft
    >>>wireless
    >>>USB 2.0 adapters for the pc's. and one for the laptop located in another
    >>>room. I often lose connections with the adapters from the two pc's, and
    >>>rarely use the laptop wireless. Our 2.4ghz phones interfere with the
    >>>adapters at times, even though I've changed channels on the adapters.
    >>>Would
    >>>the computers be more secure if I were using RJ45 cable? Would it matter
    >>>with upload/download speeds by only using cables? Would they stay
    >>>connected
    >>>without interference from the phones? I'm sure I'm leaving something out
    >>>here.
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP