    signal).
    Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    settings of the original host (high school)???????

    Volker, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Volker

    WormWood Guest

    "Volker" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95BB1633B3BDAvolkmenearthlinknet@130.133.1.4...
    > Hey now,
    > I live right across a public high-school and I could pick up their
    > free
    > signal if I would put a repeater in my Front Yard ( where I receive a
    > signal).
    > Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    > settings of the original host (high school)???????

    Ask the HS principal for a referral to the school's technicians.

    WormWood, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Volker wrote:
    > Hey now,
    > I live right across a public high-school and I could pick up their free
    > signal if I would put a repeater in my Front Yard ( where I receive a
    > signal).
    > Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    > settings of the original host (high school)???????

    You don't need a repeater in the yard, you need an external antenna at
    your client with enough gain to make the signal usuable. And also tell
    the school what you're up to because as soon as they discover what
    you're doing, they'll cut you off and leave you with your fancy wireless
    setup and no service.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 10, 2004
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    10 Dec 2004 08:42:03 -0500, Rôgêr <> screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    >Volker wrote:
    >> Hey now,
    >> I live right across a public high-school and I could pick up their free
    >> signal if I would put a repeater in my Front Yard ( where I receive a
    >> signal).
    >> Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    >> settings of the original host (high school)???????

    >You don't need a repeater in the yard, you need an external antenna at
    >your client with enough gain to make the signal usuable. And also tell
    >the school what you're up to because as soon as they discover what
    >you're doing, they'll cut you off and leave you with your fancy wireless
    >setup and no service.

    That is, if they have an admin smart enough to discover someone
    snitching bandwidth. Chance you take, I guess.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Volker

    Richard Guest

    Volker wrote:

    > Hey now,
    > I live right across a public high-school and I could pick up their free
    > signal if I would put a repeater in my Front Yard ( where I receive a
    > signal).
    > Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    > settings of the original host (high school)???????

    I think maybe a good 12 to 16 element yagi antenna should do nicely.
    Install it on the roof and nobody would care.

    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Volker

    Richard Guest

    Volker wrote:

    > Hey now,
    > I live right across a public high-school and I could pick up their free
    > signal if I would put a repeater in my Front Yard ( where I receive a
    > signal).
    > Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    > settings of the original host (high school)???????

    http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-2.html

    Pick one out and go for it.

    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Richard wrote:
    > Volker wrote:
    >
    > > Hey now,
    > > I live right across a public high-school and I could pick up their free
    > > signal if I would put a repeater in my Front Yard ( where I receive a
    > > signal).
    > > Anyone knows of a good repeater I can just plugin without changing any
    > > settings of the original host (high school)???????

    > I think maybe a good 12 to 16 element yagi antenna should do nicely.
    > Install it on the roof and nobody would care.

    You might want to tell him about how to get the signal from the roof
    down to his radio. Tell him about the different coax cables and the
    inherent signal loss in db's per foot, the loss per connector, the
    problems of waterproofing connectors and why it would be stu... I mean
    less than bright, to put a strong antenna on the roof and lose all the
    signal by using a long cable down to the radio.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 11, 2004