    Please be very specific.

    Thank you very much,

    Dan
    =?Utf-8?B?RA==?=, Dec 3, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RA==?=

    Malke Guest

    D wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > Can you tell me please:
    >
    > I have a desktop that uses high speed DSL modem for Internet.
    > How/what do I need for the other desktop to connect in the same time
    > to the Internet? Some router ?!
    >
    > The same question if I will have a wireless laptop - what would I need
    > to connect all 3 of them in the same time?
    >
    > Please be very specific.
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > Dan

    Here is a Linksys site that explains quite well what you need. Of
    course, you don't need to buy their hardware - I just think the
    pictures are helpful.

    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Hi Malke:

    Thanks!

    So, a wireless broadband router and a wireless USB adapter will do it?

    Any special set-up in the PC?

    Can you use 1 wireless USB for 2 PCs
    Thanks,

    Dan

    =?Utf-8?B?RA==?=, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Try to get the router and any wireless devices from the same manufacturer.
    They tend to work best with one another. The consumer products from the
    major manufacturers are pretty similar in performance so get what's on sale.
    So, if Linksys happens to be cheaper than D-Link, Netgear, etc. go with
    Linksys. If not, go with something else.

    Make sure that all wireless devices support WPA encryption. It's better
    than WEP.

    If you use applications like MSN Messenger, the router needs to support
    UPnP. It should say so on the box.

    There are three main ways of getting a computer connected wirelessly. The
    first is the wireless card. The advantage is that it runs fast and device
    drivers in XP have the ability to automatically update the firmware. The
    second is the USB adapter. You can transfer a USB-based device between
    computers. It's usually a bit more expensive than the card but has the
    advantage that it can be moved around to get a better signal. If you only
    have an older USB 1.1 (12Mbit/s) and not a newer USB 2.0 port then 802.11g
    devices (54Mbit/s) will not be able to run at full speed. The third is the
    game adapter (also goes by other names). It connects to the ethernet port
    of your computer so you do not need to install any drivers. It also tends
    to be the most expensive.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Thanks, Yves!

    =?Utf-8?B?RA==?=, Dec 3, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RA==?=

    Papa Guest

    Get a 4-port wireless router, preferably one that includes a print server.
    That way both your wired and wireless computers will have internet and LAN
    access, and you would be able to share your printer among them all.

    My router is a D-Link DI-714P+, and it serves not only my printer, but 3 PCs
    (wired) and 1 laptop (wireless). It uses the b (not g) IEEE specification,
    but speed has not been a problem. I'm on cable.

    Papa, Dec 4, 2004