    that there must be an access point in order for these
    names to appear. Right now, I have not secured my
    wireless network if this helps at all.

    Sam, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Hi Sam,

    You can see network from AP of your neighboor, or you could once add this
    network manualy. It depends were this network name appears.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Sebastjan Kocelj

    Sebastjan Kocelj, Avtenta.SI, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Sam

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Set your network in a more secure way.

    Basic Wireless Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Basic Wireless Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Sebastjan Kocelj, Avtenta.SI" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jack, Jul 28, 2004
  4. What you are seeing are seeing is called an SSID, or the name of the
    network. When an access point (AP) is configured it can be set to broadcast
    its SSID. Broadcasting its SSID allows all wireless adapters within range
    to "see" the network. So assuming your network SSID is Linksys, than Any is
    another network SSID that is within range of your network adapter.

    It's a good idea to not use the default SSID with your AP. You should go
    through the setup of your AP and configure and unique SSID and enable WEP
    encryption at the very least. Please refer to AP manufacture's
    documentation on this.

    Here is a link to a site that talks about security for wireless networks at
    home,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/03May15.mspx

    --
    Joshua