    time?

    Thanks
    , Sep 14, 2006

  2. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
    > My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
    > DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
    >
    > If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
    > there more to it than I know?
    >
    > Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
    > router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
    > time?
    >
    > Thanks

    You should try asking the manufacturer, but from what I know, the answer is
    unlimited.
    However, at some point in time, the system will probably bog down and quit
    working.
    Personally, I don't like built in cards. At that frequency, anything easily
    blocks the signal.
    I use an SMC flash drive on a cable and that makes the antenna highly
    portable.
    As a trucker, I would toss the cable out the window and get a better signal
    than if it were inside the truck.
    In a motel room, I can move it around and find the hot spot better.
    richard, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-14, <> wrote:
    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
    > My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
    > DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
    >
    > If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
    > there more to it than I know?

    'Reasonably sure it would work' I should think. But I don't know what
    TigerDirect are like as a hardware retailer or maker.

    Oh, the price looks highly unlikely though - ten times as much wouldn't be
    expensive.

    > Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
    > router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
    > time?

    How many have you got? Or, if you don't get your security settings right,
    how many have all your neighbours got?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Synapse Syndrome, Sep 14, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:21:38 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-09-14, <> wrote:
    >> Hi guys.
    >>
    >> I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
    >> My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
    >> DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
    >>
    >> If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
    >> there more to it than I know?

    >'Reasonably sure it would work' I should think. But I don't know what
    >TigerDirect are like as a hardware retailer or maker.
    >
    >Oh, the price looks highly unlikely though - ten times as much wouldn't be
    >expensive.

    It's a D-Link for $114.99 with a $110 rebate.

    >> Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
    >> router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
    >> time?

    >How many have you got? Or, if you don't get your security settings right,
    >how many have all your neighbours got?

    I guess that means there's no limit? I can invite all my friends over
    to use it! Well, if I had friends. Maybe I'll get some friends if I
    invite the neighbors over for free internet. Oh,man...PAR--TY!!

    But seriously...it comes with eTrust Internet Security suite 2006,
    another thing I know nothing about. Supposed to protect from virus,
    spam, hackers, spyware...sounds like it does it all.
    , Sep 14, 2006
  6. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-14, <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:21:38 +0100, Whiskers
    > <> wrote:

    snip

    > It's a D-Link for $114.99 with a $110 rebate.

    That's what I call a *rebate*!

    snip

    >>How many have you got? Or, if you don't get your security settings right,
    >>how many have all your neighbours got?

    > I guess that means there's no limit? I can invite all my friends over
    > to use it! Well, if I had friends. Maybe I'll get some friends if I
    > invite the neighbors over for free internet. Oh,man...PAR--TY!!

    You could jam your bandwidth, if you gather enough users at once. You
    might also meet up with some of the small print in your ISP's terms of
    service. Or your bank account <G>

    > But seriously...it comes with eTrust Internet Security suite 2006,
    > another thing I know nothing about. Supposed to protect from virus,
    > spam, hackers, spyware...sounds like it does it all.

    That runs on a single PC; it won't have any effect on your router - you
    must pay attention to the security settings for the 'wireless' connection
    in the router's administration interface before you 'enable' it.

    "eTrust Internet Security Suite":
    <http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage
    &Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=caconsum&productID=36454100&Env=
    BASE> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?A3C1240AC> I'm not interested in
    such things as my operating system works properly by design ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 14, 2006
  7. Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:54:39 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-09-14, <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:21:38 +0100, Whiskers
    >> <> wrote:

    >snip
    >
    >> It's a D-Link for $114.99 with a $110 rebate.

    >That's what I call a *rebate*!

    Pretty good deal, huh?

    Actually it's 4 different rebates, 2 from Computer Associates.
    , Sep 14, 2006
  8. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:48:38 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi guys.
    >
    >I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
    >My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
    >DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
    >
    >If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work?

    Yes but you should post the actual model number.

    > Or is there more to it than I know?

    There's always more to know ;)

    >Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
    >router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
    >time?

    Essentially unlimited - that's why you must setup the security
    properly: MAC address detection, WEP/WAP, turn off SID broadcast

    Google "wardriving"

    >Thanks

    cheers

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Sep 15, 2006
  9. Mary Cohen Guest

    From my experience, over 6 connections on one of these type (home) routers
    slows the performance noticeably (by that, an occasional dropped connection
    while gaming, etc...).

    Tiger Direct is reputable, but make sure to download all the rebate
    information pre-order, as it becomes very hard to find on the website once
    youve acquired the items (they move ALOT of clearance merchandise that way).

    Setting up these routers is very easy with either manufacturer online web
    based support of the included manual, almost plug and play.
    Mary Cohen, Sep 15, 2006