    laptop to receive the signal?

    Thanks!
    Kyle

    Ohio Hiker, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Ohio Hiker

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 21 Feb 2004, Ohio Hiker wrote:

    > I may have made a mistake by suggesting something to a neighbor.
    >
    > He bought a new laptop last night from Dell. He liked the fact that my
    > house is wireless. I configured his order to include a wireless card,
    > and also ordered a wireless router for him to connect to. The part I
    > didn't think about was that the laptop will be the only computer in
    > the house. Can you connect to the router via the NIC and a cable (to
    > configure the router) and then connect via wireless?
    > My router is connected (USB) to a desktop PC and the rest of the
    > PC's in
    > the house get their connection from there. Will he need a pc to allow
    > the laptop to receive the signal?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Kyle

    If his modem is connected directly to the router then yes he will be able
    to connect only with the laptop. The signal comes from the router not the
    wireless NIC card in the PC. You will probably have to connect the router
    directly to a NIC via cable to set it and the laptop up. But then it
    should be ok.

    Er, you do have your wireless network secured don't you? ;-)

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Ohio Hiker

    GK Guest

    Alex Devlin wrote:

    > On 21 Feb 2004, Ohio Hiker wrote:
    >

    >>I may have made a mistake by suggesting something to a neighbor.
    >>
    >>He bought a new laptop last night from Dell. He liked the fact that my
    >>house is wireless. I configured his order to include a wireless card,
    >>and also ordered a wireless router for him to connect to. The part I
    >>didn't think about was that the laptop will be the only computer in
    >>the house. Can you connect to the router via the NIC and a cable (to
    >>configure the router) and then connect via wireless?
    >> My router is connected (USB) to a desktop PC and the rest of the
    >> PC's in
    >>the house get their connection from there. Will he need a pc to allow
    >>the laptop to receive the signal?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>Kyle
    >>

    > If his modem is connected directly to the router then yes he will be able
    > to connect only with the laptop. The signal comes from the router not the
    > wireless NIC card in the PC. You will probably have to connect the router
    > directly to a NIC via cable to set it and the laptop up. But then it
    > should be ok.
    >
    > Er, you do have your wireless network secured don't you? ;-)

    Like Devlin said..make sure you put some WEP on your network, unless you
    want your neighbor poking around, or getting a connection on your dime.

    GK, Feb 23, 2004