    system ethernet> wireless router <> wireless router >> dsl link
    system ethernet>
    Ken Gast, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Ken Gast

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:33:00 GMT, Ken Gast <> wrote:

    >This may not be a suitable question for this group but i suspect someone
    >know something about wirless here. I want to buy a Dlink dwl-923 as a
    >wireless router. Instead of buying 8 wireless cards, can i buy another
    >router and use it was a wap and connect my systems to the ethernet ports
    >on back so that i have a wired connectin to the router but a wirelss
    >connection to my dsl so my config would look like this
    >

    >system ETHERNET>
    >system ethernet> wireless router <> wireless router >> dsl link
    >system ethernet>
    >system ethernet>

    Yes you can but you set it as a wireless client not an access
    point or router. Of course if you don't use the wireless link for
    anything else a bit of wire would be cheaper.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Ken Gast

    Ken Gast Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:33:00 GMT, Ken Gast <> wrote:
    >

    >>This may not be a suitable question for this group but i suspect someone
    >>know something about wirless here. I want to buy a Dlink dwl-923 as a
    >>wireless router. Instead of buying 8 wireless cards, can i buy another
    >>router and use it was a wap and connect my systems to the ethernet ports
    >>on back so that i have a wired connectin to the router but a wirelss
    >>connection to my dsl so my config would look like this
    >>

    >>system ETHERNET>
    >>system ethernet> wireless router <> wireless router >> dsl link
    >>system ethernet>
    >>system ethernet>

    > Yes you can but you set it as a wireless client not an access
    > point or router. Of course if you don't use the wireless link for
    > anything else a bit of wire would be cheaper.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    i will be setting up a outdoor antennea to one of these so that i may
    use my computer anywhere on my block
    Ken Gast, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Ken Gast

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:42:13 GMT, Ken Gast <> wrote:

    >i will be setting up a outdoor antennea to one of these so that i may
    >use my computer anywhere on my block

    I think you need to do some more research on the nature of wireless
    systems, although these days the equipment is cheap enough to
    buy to experiment with. At 2Ghz losses in cable become very
    significant and any gain in antennas can be lost in cable runs so
    you are probably better just mounting the access point outside in
    a suitable box. The range you get in practice is never what it says
    on the specifications, and as this is a security group ... TURN ON
    THE ENCRYPTION.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Ken Gast

    Apollo Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message

    > I think you need to do some more research on the nature of wireless
    > systems, although these days the equipment is cheap enough to
    > buy to experiment with. At 2Ghz losses in cable become very
    > significant and any gain in antennas can be lost in cable runs so
    > you are probably better just mounting the access point outside in
    > a suitable box. The range you get in practice is never what it says
    > on the specifications, and as this is a security group ... TURN ON
    > THE ENCRYPTION.

    Hi Jim,

    I would like to learn more about securing wireless networks and
    networking in general, can you recommend any recent books on the
    subject. I know there's a huge amount of information available through
    google, and that has helped, but I do like a good thick book to get
    stuck into.

    Thanks

    --
    Ian
    Apollo, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Ken Gast

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    You normally want a wired connection between your cable/dsl modem and your
    router. This wire will handle all the traffic from all the client computers
    and needs to be fast and reliable. On your client computers you can have
    some wired and some wireless such as laptops. The most routers allow both
    wired and wireless connections.

    "Ken Gast" <> wrote in message
    > This may not be a suitable question for this group but i suspect someone
    > know something about wirless here. I want to buy a Dlink dwl-923 as a
    > wireless router. Instead of buying 8 wireless cards, can i buy another
    > router and use it was a wap and connect my systems to the ethernet ports
    > on back so that i have a wired connectin to the router but a wirelss
    > connection to my dsl so my config would look like this
    >

    > system ETHERNET>
    > system ethernet> wireless router <> wireless router >> dsl link
    > system ethernet>
    > system ethernet>

    ---
    Rodney Kelp, Nov 26, 2004
  7. Ken Gast

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:19:17 -0500, "Rodney Kelp"
    <> wrote:

    >You normally want a wired connection between your cable/dsl modem and your
    >router. This wire will handle all the traffic from all the client computers
    >and needs to be fast and reliable.

    Nonsense. The radio link only needs to sustain the speed of the
    Internet connection.

    What is critical is the connection between the computers if you
    want to do more than just share the Internet.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Nov 26, 2004
  8. Ken Gast

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Do what you want.

    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:19:17 -0500, "Rodney Kelp"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>You normally want a wired connection between your cable/dsl modem and your
    >>router. This wire will handle all the traffic from all the client
    >>computers
    >>and needs to be fast and reliable.

    > Nonsense. The radio link only needs to sustain the speed of the
    > Internet connection.
    >
    > What is critical is the connection between the computers if you
    > want to do more than just share the Internet.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    ---
    Rodney Kelp, Nov 26, 2004
  9. Ken Gast

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:53:29 -0500, "Rodney Kelp"
    <> wrote:

    >Do what you want.

    I do, frequently and it seems to have earned me a living.

    However you were still talking nonsense.

    From what the OP said it seems he had an integrated
    wap/router/ADSL modem in mind, which are now on the
    market at very good prices and for those without cables
    around the house already offer a neat way of sharing
    the Internet and printers.

    typical product: MRI-ADSLR/WL/54

    see: http://www.mri.co.uk

    --