Wireless queries

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Daryl, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    Hi,

    I've had Broadband for over 2 years now, using my Speedtouch 510 router
    which has worked flawlessly (I'm UK based).

    I have just bought a house with my gf and we are to have 2 computers here.
    Originally I planned to have the main computer upstairs in the study along
    with the ADSL router and then run a cable downstairs somehow to the second
    computer to form a small network.

    However, this is going to be more problematic than I first thought and now
    realise that I ought to go wireless.

    Ideally, I would like to keep my router.

    What would be the best way to provide a network link to the computer
    downstairs and still use my original router? I would like the upstairs
    computer to maintain a wired link with the router.

    Would the Netgear WG602
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_access_points_WG602.php fulfil my demands?

    Or, would it be best to start all over again and simply use wireless
    throughout?

    Also, I believe I'd need to fit a wirless adaptor to the receiving pc. This
    one seems to fir the bill http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG311.php
    but it says it needs a Pentium III. My gf's computer has a Duron 700Mhz.
    Would that suffice?

    Any help gratefully appreciated.

    Thanks

    Daz

    Daryl, Dec 5, 2005

  2. hello bud cannot help with your prob as im new to this game was wondering if
    you could help me. i have wireless but having trouble sending EMAIL keeps
    coming up with pop3 smtp cannot find i have no idea what this means could ya
    help its a hp laptop if anyhelp and its doing my nut . if not na worries
    cheers DAZ SOUTHAMPTON.

    =?Utf-8?B?REFa?=, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Daryl

    Dave Guest

    you want a 'wireless access point'. that is like a hub for wireless
    connections, it doesn't do routing it just provides the wireless connection
    part of it. just plug it into the router you have and put a compatible
    wireless card in the remote machine and follow the manufacturers
    instructions.

    Dave, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Daryl

    Dave Guest

    sounds like you need to talk to your isp and make sure your settings are
    correct for their mail server and that you are connected to their network
    properly.

    Dave, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Yes - a WG602 would provide wireless access for the Internet and a local
    network between the two machines when connected to your existing router
    assuming the router has more than one LAN port. Note distance may be an
    issue, but probably not unless you have a very large house or unusual
    construction.

    Yes - the second computer would need a wireless adapter and the WG311 should
    work depending on operating system.

    Yes - a Duron 700Mhz is plenty powerful enough.

    At least in the U.S. wireless routers are frequently cheaper or at least no
    more expensive than access points. My recommendation would be to buy a
    wireless router to replace the Speedtouch.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 6, 2005
  6. Daryl

    Tony Guest

    "Daryl" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had Broadband for over 2 years now, using my Speedtouch 510 router
    > which has worked flawlessly (I'm UK based).
    >
    > I have just bought a house with my gf and we are to have 2 computers here.
    > Originally I planned to have the main computer upstairs in the study along
    > with the ADSL router and then run a cable downstairs somehow to the second
    > computer to form a small network.
    >
    > However, this is going to be more problematic than I first thought and now
    > realise that I ought to go wireless.
    >
    > Ideally, I would like to keep my router.
    >
    > What would be the best way to provide a network link to the computer
    > downstairs and still use my original router? I would like the upstairs
    > computer to maintain a wired link with the router.
    >
    > Would the Netgear WG602
    > http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_access_points_WG602.php fulfil my
    > demands?
    >
    > Or, would it be best to start all over again and simply use wireless
    > throughout?
    >
    > Also, I believe I'd need to fit a wirless adaptor to the receiving pc.
    > This one seems to fir the bill
    > http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG311.php but it says it needs a
    > Pentium III. My gf's computer has a Duron 700Mhz. Would that suffice?
    >
    > Any help gratefully appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Daz

    Apart from the other suggestions, you could use a homeplug setup (see
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=61&Alt=Yes
    ). I have replaced quite a few wireless networks with these lately and the
    throughput seems better than wireless, easier to set up and there are less
    security issues. They also don't interfere with video senders if you have
    one!!

    Tony, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > At least in the U.S. wireless routers are frequently cheaper or at least
    > no
    > more expensive than access points. My recommendation would be to buy a
    > wireless router to replace the Speedtouch.
    >
    > Doug Sherman

    Wouldn't I then have to bump up the price by buying another wireless adaptor
    for the main computer (even if located right next to the wireless router)?

    With the original setup I envisaged, was I right to think that my main
    computer will still be wired into the router and the wireless access point
    will be wired into another port on the router. The 2nd PC will then (if
    conditions allow) behave as if plugged into the 2nd router port?

    What happens if I turn on my laptop in addition to the 2nd computer? I
    can't imagine that it would behave as if plugged into a third router port as
    it will be interacting with the wireless access point which is wired to the
    2nd router point (how confusing is this?)!

    Any advice to help get my head round it will be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Daz (I've only done wires before)!

    Daryl, Dec 9, 2005
  8. Daryl

    Lem Guest

    Daryl wrote:

    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > At least in the U.S. wireless routers are frequently cheaper or at least
    > > no
    > > more expensive than access points. My recommendation would be to buy a
    > > wireless router to replace the Speedtouch.
    > >
    > > Doug Sherman

    > Wouldn't I then have to bump up the price by buying another wireless adaptor
    > for the main computer (even if located right next to the wireless router)?
    >
    > With the original setup I envisaged, was I right to think that my main
    > computer will still be wired into the router and the wireless access point
    > will be wired into another port on the router. The 2nd PC will then (if
    > conditions allow) behave as if plugged into the 2nd router port?
    >
    > What happens if I turn on my laptop in addition to the 2nd computer? I
    > can't imagine that it would behave as if plugged into a third router port as
    > it will be interacting with the wireless access point which is wired to the
    > 2nd router point (how confusing is this?)!
    >
    > Any advice to help get my head round it will be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Daz (I've only done wires before)!

    What Doug undoubtedly has in mind is that most (all?) home-user wireless routers
    have BOTH a wired network switch AND a wireless access point, all in the same
    box. See, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/cz9u9 which is a blurb for the Linksys
    WRT54G. With such devices, you connect your DSL/Cable modem into the WAN port
    of the router, connect your main computer (and up to 3 others) by ethernet cable
    to the router's "4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch" and then have your second PC
    and laptop (each with its own wireless access device) connect to the router
    wirelessly. Depending on the amount of usage, you can have a very large number
    (>100) of wireless connections active simultaneously.

    Lem, Dec 9, 2005
  9. No - all wireless routers I have ever seen also accept wired connections.
    Usually there are about 4 standard ethernet cable ports provided in addition
    to the wireless capability eg. a NetGear WGR614 has 4 LAN ports:

    http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_wgr614.php

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Daryl" <> wrote in message

    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in

    message

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 10, 2005
  10. Hi
    I have a netgear router with wireless and am trying to connect to hard
    wired pc's and a wireless laptop into the network. I created a
    workgroup/network but I can only see netgear on the network not the one that
    I created. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1tZSBFaWx5aw==?=, Jan 9, 2006