Wireless Profiles

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Abhi, May 23, 2008.

  1. Abhi

    Abhi Guest

    Hi,

    I am working on an application to automatically transfer wireless
    profiles between different computers. I have been able to retrieve all
    the wireless profile (aka Preferred networks) information stored on a
    Vista/XP machine in the form of XML strings. I have posted a sample
    below. I want to know how what exactly is stored in the "keyMaterial"
    field?

    I know it is not the actual network key for that wireless network, but
    the same seems to be stored in an encrypted form. What I want to know
    is what kind of encryption is used and is there any way to obtain the
    actual network key from this?

    BTW I am using the ManagedWifi library from codeplex along with API's
    from the System.Net.NetworkInformation namespace as well as some of
    the NativeWifi API's.

    Thanks in advance.

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <WLANProfile xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/networking/WLAN/profile/
    v1">
    <name>example</name>
    <SSIDConfig>
    <SSID>
    <hex>63656C6C7024242344</hex>
    <name>example</name>
    </SSID>
    </SSIDConfig>
    <connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
    <MSM>
    <security>
    <authEncryption>
    <authentication>WPAPSK</authentication>
    <encryption>TKIP</encryption>
    <useOneX>false</useOneX>
    </authEncryption>
    <sharedKey>
    <keyType>networkKey</keyType>
    <protected>false</protected>

    <keyMaterial>9B445645E12DF6DDFE5C6694524324234FCCBC771057A3B5513F3</
    keyMaterial>
    </sharedKey>
    </security>
    </MSM>
    </WLANProfile>

    Abhi, May 23, 2008

  2. Abhi

    Abhi Guest

    I found an answer to the below myself at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms707351(VS.85).aspx.

    But I have another question: can I use the same <keyMaterial> field
    across several computers or will this be different for different
    computers, i.e., will the network key be encrypted differently across
    different computers?

    Abhi, May 24, 2008