    or: I import my .p10 profiles in vista (but how?!)

    thx in advance,

    Tim

    TimDesp, Jan 6, 2007

  2. "TimDesp" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > the question is simple, how can get my win xp wireless profiles into my
    > vista wireless profiles.
    >
    > I have the win xp profiles exported to .P10 extensions and i know how
    > to import .xml extensions in vista.
    >
    > or: I export my winxp profiles to .xml (but how?!)
    >
    > or: I import my .p10 profiles in vista (but how?!)
    >
    > thx in advance,
    >
    > Tim

    Well, I don't know about .p10 profiles (whatever they are) but I do know you
    can use Windows Connect Now (WCN) and have your wireless profile on a flash
    drive and configure both XP and Vista with that...

    Vista netsh commands for wireless networking...

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905085.aspx

    General Vista Networking information...

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905087.aspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 6, 2007

  3. TimDesp

    Pavel A. Guest

    I haven't tried this yet, but perhaps the WLAN API add-on for WinXP
    can save your profiles in Vista compatible xml format.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918997/en-us

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jan 6, 2007
  4. Hello Tim,

    You can easily run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP Service
    Pack 2 (SP2) and save the wireless settings to a USB Flash drive.

    The Wireless Wizard will create a directory on your USB key called SMRTNTKY
    which you'll find an exectable file called setupsnk.exe. You can easily
    transfer your settings from Windows XP and add Windows Vista to your
    existing wireless network this way.

    --
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

    Eric Cross [MVP], Jan 7, 2007
  5. TimDesp

    Guest

    On 7 Jan, 21:39, "Eric Cross [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > Hello Tim,
    >
    > You can easily run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP Service
    > Pack 2 (SP2) and save the wireless settings to a USB Flash drive.
    >
    > The Wireless Wizard will create a directory on your USB key called SMRTNTKY
    > which you'll find an exectable file called setupsnk.exe. You can easily
    > transfer your settings from Windows XP and add WindowsVistato your
    > existing wireless network this way.
    >
    > --
    > Eric Cross
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >
    > "TimDesp" <> wrote in message

    I wish this were true!! The XP SP2 Wireless Wizard WILL save settigns
    to a USB key AS you create them in the first place. BUT if you
    already, after many different wlan connects, have a long list of
    definitions in your XP wlan profile, then it does NOT appear that this
    wizard will save them for transfer to , say Vista...

    Also, the Vista NETSH command DOES let you save wlan information to an
    xml format file which can then be used to transfer settings between
    machines BUT the XP SP2 NETSH doesn't support the same wlan commands -
    so on XP SP2 you cannot export your wlan settings!

    Any suggestions / corrections welcome!

    , Feb 15, 2007
  6. TimDesp

    redwind

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1

    I feel your pain as I have been searching Google for the answer to the same problem, except I am trying to export to a Windows 7 machine.

    Like you, I have been frustrated by a slew of mindless, pointless and incorrect responses. However, I finally found what seems to be a useful source of information. I find that I cannot post a link, but if you search Google for "deploy wlan profiles" at site symantec.com, you will find it.

    It is by no means a one-touch method, but as long as you still have access to the XP machine, it should allow you to export the profiles in a format that can be imported into Vista or Windows 7. It involves the Microsoft WLAN API enhancements mentioned above, and a new WLAN utility.

    I wish you luck.

    Stephen

    redwind, Feb 18, 2011