    but it doesn't say the range of the device.

    so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
    increasing it?

    cowboyz, Apr 12, 2005

  2. cowboyz

    EMB Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
    > increasing it?

    The material of intervening walls can make a huge difference to range.
    I've got a wireless AP set up in one of my clients offices that has a
    range of <25m through their internal walls. Adding an external antenna
    mounted outside the front of the building gives good coverage through
    the entire area (50m) so it might we worth your while repositioning the
    access point. If the computer room is in a metal clad building (skyline
    garage or similar) you'll need to add an external antenna to the PC
    there - the metal cladding pretty much totally attenuates the signal.

    That aside, at home I have a passable connection to an unsecured AP
    owned by a local business that is situated 150m away using nothing more
    than the inbuilt antenna on an IBM thinkpad - it's not quite LOS and
    involves concrete block walls at their end and brick walls at my end -
    so as usual anything seems possible.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 12, 2005

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
    >> increasing it?

    > The material of intervening walls can make a huge difference to range.
    > I've got a wireless AP set up in one of my clients offices that has a
    > range of <25m through their internal walls. Adding an external antenna
    > mounted outside the front of the building gives good coverage through the
    > entire area (50m) so it might we worth your while repositioning the access
    > point. If the computer room is in a metal clad building (skyline garage
    > or similar) you'll need to add an external antenna to the PC there - the
    > metal cladding pretty much totally attenuates the signal.
    >
    > That aside, at home I have a passable connection to an unsecured AP owned
    > by a local business that is situated 150m away using nothing more than the
    > inbuilt antenna on an IBM thinkpad - it's not quite LOS and involves
    > concrete block walls at their end and brick walls at my end - so as usual
    > anything seems possible.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    cheers.

    I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
    have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first dealing
    with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush out and do it
    myself.

    cowboyz, Apr 12, 2005
  4. cowboyz

    Rider Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
    >>> increasing it?

    >> The material of intervening walls can make a huge difference to range.
    >> I've got a wireless AP set up in one of my clients offices that has a
    >> range of <25m through their internal walls. Adding an external antenna
    >> mounted outside the front of the building gives good coverage through the
    >> entire area (50m) so it might we worth your while repositioning the
    >> access point. If the computer room is in a metal clad building (skyline
    >> garage or similar) you'll need to add an external antenna to the PC
    >> there - the metal cladding pretty much totally attenuates the signal.
    >>
    >> That aside, at home I have a passable connection to an unsecured AP owned
    >> by a local business that is situated 150m away using nothing more than
    >> the inbuilt antenna on an IBM thinkpad - it's not quite LOS and involves
    >> concrete block walls at their end and brick walls at my end - so as usual
    >> anything seems possible.
    >>

    >> --

    >> EMB

    > cheers.
    >
    > I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
    > have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first
    > dealing with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush out
    > and do it myself.

    I had similar issues with a wireless setup in an old villa here. In the end
    I put on a slightly bigger antennae. For the $50 it was worth the money.
    The original antennae was only 1 or 2 db, so I got a 5db antennae. I'm with
    you, not that keen on doing another one.

    Rider

    Rider, Apr 12, 2005
  5. cowboyz wrote:
    > I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
    > have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first dealing
    > with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush out and do it
    > myself.

    This may sound a bit off, but the guy who sold it to you mis-led you,
    most of the wireless APs have 50M max range on them if using their
    default settings.

    Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw
    and it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.

    Also, adding external antenna certainly help as most put pissy little
    7cm "this'll do" ones on them, when for the ranges they are advertising,
    they should be putting bigger/more powerful ones on there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 12, 2005
  6. cowboyz

    Frank Sams Guest

    ASUS AAM6030VI does up 100 Meters line of site. in a house, going though
    walls you should get about 30 - 40 meters.
    Also depends on other interference from things like DECT Coreless Phones,
    Bluetooth etc.. Anything on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

    Belkin PRE - N Grear gives great coverage, and would easily cover what you
    want while at the same time being fully backward compatible with 802.11b and

    Frank Sams, Apr 12, 2005
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Frank Sams" <> wrote in message
    > ASUS AAM6030VI does up 100 Meters line of site. in a house, going though
    > walls you should get about 30 - 40 meters.
    > Also depends on other interference from things like DECT Coreless Phones,
    > Bluetooth etc.. Anything on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.
    >
    > Belkin PRE - N Grear gives great coverage, and would easily cover what you
    > want while at the same time being fully backward compatible with 802.11b
    > and g

    cheers.

    That is far short of the 500m the sales guy told me. Might have to go have
    a chat.

    cowboyz, Apr 13, 2005
  8. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
    >> have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first
    >> dealing with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush
    >> out and do it myself.

    > This may sound a bit off, but the guy who sold it to you mis-led you, most
    > of the wireless APs have 50M max range on them if using their default
    > settings.
    >
    > Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw and
    > it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.
    >
    > Also, adding external antenna certainly help as most put pissy little 7cm
    > "this'll do" ones on them, when for the ranges they are advertising, they
    > should be putting bigger/more powerful ones on there.

    advertising and salesmen are really getting up my goat just lately. even
    more than usual.

    I certainly feel like I have been lead up the garden path a bit but run out
    of time to ring them today so that will have to be tomorrows job.
    I think they should be giving me another aerial for the trouble.

    cowboyz, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going
    >> to have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first
    >> dealing with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush
    >> out and do it myself.

    > This may sound a bit off, but the guy who sold it to you mis-led you,
    > most of the wireless APs have 50M max range on them if using their
    > default settings.
    >
    > Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw
    > and it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.
    >
    > Also, adding external antenna certainly help as most put pissy little
    > 7cm "this'll do" ones on them, when for the ranges they are advertising,
    > they should be putting bigger/more powerful ones on there.

    I've got a WRT54G running DDWRT (a fork of alchemy) and have tried
    hiking the power to 251mW. The range I got was no different then what it
    was at 35mW. I'm puzzled. The author of DDWRT said that he doesn't use
    anymore then 70mW as the noise also increases with power output. His
    rig does 8km! I'd be interested to hear what other ppl have acheived
    with their WRT's and with what gain antenna. As the hi gain commercial
    antennas are grossly overpriced I'm going to try retro-fitting some old
    sky dishes next...

    Graeme

    Graeme Woollett, Apr 13, 2005
  10. Graeme Woollett wrote:
    >> Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw
    >> and it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.

    > I've got a WRT54G running DDWRT (a fork of alchemy) and have tried
    > hiking the power to 251mW. The range I got was no different then what it
    > was at 35mW. I'm puzzled. The author of DDWRT said that he doesn't use
    > anymore then 70mW as the noise also increases with power output. His
    > rig does 8km! I'd be interested to hear what other ppl have acheived
    > with their WRT's and with what gain antenna. As the hi gain commercial
    > antennas are grossly overpriced I'm going to try retro-fitting some old
    > sky dishes next...

    They're not that dear, only ~$130 for a 19dB parabolic from Hills last
    time I got one from there.

    I have no need for the massive power output either, as I use one of
    those "overpriced" commercial antennas. :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Graeme Woollett wrote:
    >

    > They're not that dear, only ~$130 for a 19dB parabolic from Hills last
    > time I got one from there.
    >
    > I have no need for the massive power output either, as I use one of
    > those "overpriced" commercial antennas. :)

    With the help of a network analyzer I tuned up a biquad fed Warehouse
    wok which is supposed to have around 17dB. A steal at $20!
    I'm thinking more of the 24dB+ antennas that sell for around the $300+
    mark...
    eg.
    The directional Hills Signal Master L4722 from DSE $358

    Graeme Woollett, Apr 14, 2005
  12. Graeme Woollett wrote:
    >> They're not that dear, only ~$130 for a 19dB parabolic from Hills last
    >> time I got one from there.
    >> I have no need for the massive power output either, as I use one of
    >> those "overpriced" commercial antennas. :)

    > With the help of a network analyzer I tuned up a biquad fed Warehouse
    > wok which is supposed to have around 17dB. A steal at $20!

    > I'm thinking more of the 24dB+ antennas that sell for around the $300+
    > mark...
    > eg.
    > The directional Hills Signal Master L4722 from DSE $358

    mine is the 19dB version of that(they sell it for $233, only $100 markup)
    the 24dB one is a monster at damn near 1M wide x 75cm high(dimensions as
    per the pic from DSE), however we used two(one each end) to go from Rudd
    Rd to Toko Mouth here in Dunedin, ~27km LOS, and signal was very good.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Graeme Woollett wrote:
    >
    >>> They're not that dear, only ~$130 for a 19dB parabolic from Hills
    >>> last time I got one from there.
    >>> I have no need for the massive power output either, as I use one of
    >>> those "overpriced" commercial antennas. :)

    >> With the help of a network analyzer I tuned up a biquad fed Warehouse
    >> wok which is supposed to have around 17dB. A steal at $20!

    >> I'm thinking more of the 24dB+ antennas that sell for around the $300+
    >> mark...
    >> eg.
    >> The directional Hills Signal Master L4722 from DSE $358

    > mine is the 19dB version of that(they sell it for $233, only $100 markup)
    > the 24dB one is a monster at damn near 1M wide x 75cm high(dimensions as
    > per the pic from DSE), however we used two(one each end) to go from Rudd
    > Rd to Toko Mouth here in Dunedin, ~27km LOS, and signal was very good.

    Very impressive, I would get a commercial antenna if I had the money.
    My wife's not keen on me spending anymore money on wireless stuff, plus
    the people that want to hook up don't want to cough up much money
    either. I think the issue with the antennas I've made is that they
    probably aren't focused that well. The SWR is sweet at ~1.13:1.

    Graeme Woollett, Apr 14, 2005
  14. cowboyz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Graeme Woollett <> wrote in

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> With the help of a network analyzer I tuned up a biquad fed
    >>> Warehouse wok which is supposed to have around 17dB. A steal at $20!

    >>> I'm thinking more of the 24dB+ antennas that sell for around the
    >>> $300+ mark...
    >>> eg.
    >>> The directional Hills Signal Master L4722 from DSE $358

    >> mine is the 19dB version of that(they sell it for $233, only $100
    >> markup) the 24dB one is a monster at damn near 1M wide x 75cm
    >> high(dimensions as per the pic from DSE), however we used two(one
    >> each end) to go from Rudd Rd to Toko Mouth here in Dunedin, ~27km
    >> LOS, and signal was very good.

    > Very impressive, I would get a commercial antenna if I had the money.
    > My wife's not keen on me spending anymore money on wireless stuff,
    > plus the people that want to hook up don't want to cough up much money
    > either. I think the issue with the antennas I've made is that they
    > probably aren't focused that well. The SWR is sweet at ~1.13:1.

    You do know about this web site , right?
    http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
    Grat ideas for making inexpensive "dishes"

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 14, 2005
  15. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Graeme Woollett <> wrote in
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>mine is the 19dB version of that(they sell it for $233, only $100
    >>>markup) the 24dB one is a monster at damn near 1M wide x 75cm
    >>>high(dimensions as per the pic from DSE), however we used two(one
    >>>each end) to go from Rudd Rd to Toko Mouth here in Dunedin, ~27km
    >>>LOS, and signal was very good.

    >>Very impressive, I would get a commercial antenna if I had the money.
    >>My wife's not keen on me spending anymore money on wireless stuff,
    >>plus the people that want to hook up don't want to cough up much money
    >>either. I think the issue with the antennas I've made is that they
    >>probably aren't focused that well. The SWR is sweet at ~1.13:1.
    >>

    > You do know about this web site , right?
    > http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
    > Grat ideas for making inexpensive "dishes"

    Yep been there. Their designs are mainly using USB adaptors with
    dishes, whereas I'm going to predominantly using access points. There
    are lots of useful links from Seattle Wireless including one to modify a
    TV sattelite dish. For more gain (i.e >20dB) an old sky dish seems to
    be the way to go. Especially when you know a Sky Installer :)

    Graeme Woollett, Apr 14, 2005