    to connect with out a hitch, though.
    COuld it be the Linksys?
    Are there better brands I could look at?
    Mike, Mar 10, 2010

  2. Hi
    Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
    cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what they
    are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
    Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
    486 processor)
    Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is too
    low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
    them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
    At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
    Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality. They
    cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
    If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
    Router and professional Access Point.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 10, 2010

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
    everybody else is fine'.
    They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
    will be fine.
    I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
    then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
    company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
    Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?

    Mike, Mar 12, 2010
  4. Hi
    Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best offer.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134
    Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim line,
    http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 12, 2010
  5. Mike

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 12, 4:15 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > Within the sub $100 group, this is probably the best offer.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134
    > Otherwise take a look at the Mid prices Proxim line,http://www.proxim.com/products/landing_wlan.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > Unfortunatley, it's always a case of 'this guy can't get on, but
    > everybody else is fine'.
    > They also say a lot of times they will have to reboot the router & all
    > will be fine.
    > I considered the possibility of power glitches, shutting things down &
    > then coming back up in the wrong order, but have put the cable
    > company's router & wireless router on a UPS.
    > Any suggestions for maybe a better wireless router?
    >
    > On Mar 10, 1:29 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > Or could be that the users are doing things ((be known, or unbeknown) that
    > > cause these problems, and unless you are there for a while and see what
    > > they
    > > are actually doing you will not solve the problems for the long run.
    > > Routers are actually mini computers (most on a level comparable to the old
    > > 486 processor)
    > > Just like a computer that would freeze (or run very slow) if the mem is
    > > too
    > > low, or the load on the CPU is too heavy, or the OS (firmware) that runs
    > > them was implemented in a sloppy manner.
    > > At the sub $200, price does not necessarily indicate a better Router; some
    > > Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality.
    > > They
    > > cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
    > > If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
    > > Router and professional Access Point.
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    > > "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have a small office with a mix of XP & Vista laptops, mostly Dells,
    > > > that are all connecting to the LAN wireless.
    > > > I am using a Linksys WRT54G & cannot seem to keep it running!
    > > > The office isn't that large, any any where in it, the signal is very
    > > > strong.
    > > > At least once a week I will get calls about people not being able to
    > > > connect.
    > > > They will be connected to the local network, but not have internet
    > > > access & I will have to talk them through deleting the connection & re-
    > > > creating it & things will be fine, for a while.
    > > > Or they will unplug the power to the Linksys & all will be well.
    > > > I can guarantee you I can walk in there with my laptop & will be able
    > > > to connect with out a hitch, though.
    > > > COuld it be the Linksys?
    > > > Are there better brands I could look at?- Hide quoted text -

    I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
    Link and Linksys routers in general. This is because these are low
    end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
    extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
    settings:

    Channel 6
    No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
    same default passwords across the model line.

    I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.
    smlunatick, Mar 12, 2010
  6. Hi
    It is Not feasible to buy Wireless hardware by Brand. Each Brand has Good
    Model, and Bad Model. Sometimes even within the Model the device is Not the
    same (As an example WRT54G v1-4 is not the same core hardware as v5-8, and
    the v1-4 are better).
    Currently of the 802.11g the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 provides the best
    performance (that does not imply that every thing else made by Buffalo is
    the best of its category).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 12, 2010
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Mar 12, 2:41 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality.
    > > > They
    > > > cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
    > > > If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
    > > > Router and professional Access Point.
    > > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    > > > "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
    > Link and Linksys routers in general.  This is because these are low
    > end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
    > extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
    > settings:
    >
    > Channel 6
    > No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
    > same default passwords across the model line.
    >
    > I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

    I will look into the model you suggested, as price really isn't a
    factor in this case.
    They just want something that is reliable.
    Mike, Mar 12, 2010
  8. Hi
    It is very stable and since it has High Power RF amplifier at the Wireless
    output it provide a stronger signal than the other sub 100 Devices.
    However No Entry Level Wireless is reliable if people in the house hold use
    it for around the clock p2p downloads.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 13, 2010
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    One other question, some users complain that when they come from home
    to work or vice-versa, they have problems connecting, as if IP
    settings aren't being released when they shut down in one location.
    Any suggestions there?

    Mike, Mar 15, 2010
  10. Hi
    It depends on what is used as Wireless Utility and how the Wireless Networks
    are configured.
    If people use the Native Windows utility (WZC), and the Network that they
    are logging to are broadcasting the SSID then it should be smooth logging.
    The Windows Utility needs to be configured according to the needs
    (I.e.,check the relevant Entries), and making sure that only the Networks
    that they want to connect to are in the preferred list.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 15, 2010
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Most of the laptops are Dell, which have been using Dell's built in
    wireless networking & (obviously), the Windows utility has been
    disabled.
    Would/could/should the windows utilty give me better results?
    I have also noticed quite a few wireless network entries, as these
    guys travel quite a bit.
    I'm assuming cleaning these out wouldn't hurt either.

    Mike, Mar 15, 2010
  12. Mike

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 12, 8:41 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Brands tend to be more expensive than the others regardless of quality.
    > > > They
    > > > cost more because the Brand spend more money on marketing.
    > > > If you want solid service you should buy for an office environment SOHO
    > > > Router and professional Access Point.
    > > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    > > > "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > I have seen incredible connecting / connection problems with both D-
    > Link and Linksys routers in general.  This is because these are low
    > end wireless (enterprise models are usually more reliable but
    > extremely expensive) all tend to be shipped with the same "default"
    > settings:
    >
    > Channel 6
    > No wireless security (no WEP or WPA(2) settings)
    > same default passwords across the model line.
    >
    > I have had better experience with Netgear router myself.

    I was stating a "fact" the in general, I have had better "experience"
    with Netgear router products across the "majority" of the products. I
    have bad experience with a lot of Linksys products and incredible
    "poor" responses with D-Link products in general.
    smlunatick, Mar 15, 2010