Wireless Problems? Accept all help with caution.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mags, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Mags

    Mags Guest

    Wireless Networking can be a nightmare if it doesn't work
    out of the box and so it is frustrating and you get
    deperate for help. (Which is probably why you are in this
    form) But be very careful what advice you accept!

    One common site offered asks you to uninstall your fireall
    (not just disable it) dowload a "registry patch" <joke!>
    and effectively activate your guest account with a blank
    password to be accessed via a network. In doing so,
    anyone with your email address (such as from their guest
    book) can obtain your IP address when you are on the net
    and sign in to your PC as an anonymous guest. Sure you
    might get some useful help... and these people may not
    even do anything mailicious, just browse through your
    files and copy a few mp3 files etc. but do you really want
    to risk it?

    Certainly firewll programs such as zone alarm and norton
    internet security can (WILL) cause grief unless they are
    configured not to block your networked PC's. But NEVER
    uninstall these programs completely. Instead I suggest
    you write down all the steps you want/need to try and then
    disable the firewall until you get everything working. I
    also suggest you disconnect from the internet until you
    first get all PC's talking to each other and sharing
    files/folders you want. (Make sure they are in the same
    workgroup by the way.)

    Two of the handiest trouble shooting helpers are available
    from the command prompt in your start menu.

    These are:

    1. Ping /? This will bring up parameter instructions
    which will allow you to ping the IP addresses of your
    router and each PC on your network. A response means you
    have a connection. Time out means communication isn't
    happening or being blocked by something (such as Nortons
    Internet Security)
    example: ping 192.168.0.1 (<- this is a default
    address for many routers).
    Right clicking on the LAN/Wireless networking icon in the
    taskbar and viewing properties and 'support' tab will show
    you the IP address of the PC. Only once you can
    successfully ping each address (including the PC you are
    on) will you be able to make progress.

    2. ipconfig /all This will show you the all current IP
    related settings for the PC. In most cases they will be
    assigned by the DHCP functionality on the router (if you
    have one) ipconfig /? will give you other parameters
    including the ability to release the settings and attempt
    to get new ones. Again, only once each PC has an IP
    address (usually in the same range) will you be able to
    progess in setting up your network.

    Good luck in getting your network running smoothly.

    mags

    Mags, Jan 25, 2005

  2. I went to that site and found more than 250 people verifying the registry
    fix and firewall information we're exactly what they needed to fix their
    networking issues and none of them have been 'attacked' as you claim.

    Hmm...

    Carey Holzman, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Mags

    Mags Guest

    Of course... correct basic network settings are offered
    and I NEVER claimed they have been "attacked" (which they
    wouldn't even be aware of with a legitimate net guest
    login in b.t.w.). However, the patch/fix is NOT necessary
    to network, nor is an actived net guest account with a
    blank password.

    Firewalls exist for a reason. Disabling them until the
    network is working effectively, then configuring them to
    allow the networked devices is far better advice.
    Plus "shutting down ZoneAlarm" is effective or disbling
    Norton Internet Security ios effective. So why insist on
    completely uninstalling it?

    While this "site owner" may not be hacking as such... he
    is certainly setting them up as an easy target.

    Mags

    Mags, Jan 25, 2005
  4. I have seen many people, here and in person, who have disabled thier
    firewalls and have no connection, but as soon as they uninstall and then
    reinstall after the network is up and running, everything is fine.

    Many people do not have the knowledge to open or close ports and add
    programs here and so on, so they must take the long way around.

    Do tell everyone that they must or must not ever uninstall thier firewall is
    by no means correct.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Mags

    mags Guest

    My main point is the fix/patch that is offered and the
    security risk that is being presented. Hopefully an
    administrator/moderator from the microsoft forum will go
    to the careyholzman site, download the reg file offered,
    view the contents of it and confirm (or deny) its safety
    and the risk that the instructions on the site presents.

    All I am saying is people should be very cautious about
    fully opening up their PC for anyone on the net to log in
    without their knowledge. End of story. Each person can
    then decide for themselves.

    mags

    mags, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Have you seen this reg file that you are warning about? Certainly it's easy
    to just open it up and examine the changes it is making, before allowing
    your imagination to come up with inconclusive accusations and warnings.

    That reg file has nothing to do with guest accounts.

    Chicken Little screamed that the sky was falling, but after a little
    education, discovered he was completely wrong.

    Something to consider before jumping to conclusions...

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Mags

    mags Guest

    Yes of course i examined it. I have been supporting PC's
    for over 10 years (and have a tertiary education in
    Information Systems). Rather than getting in a snit,would
    you care to deny that the changes and advice you provide
    visitors to your site does not ALLOW you or anyone with
    their IP address to log in to their PC and access shared
    drives/files under the activated net guest account with a
    blank password???

    Like I said before,I'm not saying that *you* do this, but
    it sure as hell makes it easy for you to do so if you
    chose.

    mags, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Tell me, how do you set up a user account and password that keeps people out
    in Windows 95/98/Me?

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Mags

    Guest Guest

    We both know those operating systems are insecure at
    best. So why instruct *XP* users to open their systems up
    for easy access by anyone? You might be well meaning in
    your intentions to help people, but perhaps adding some
    disclaimers and advising the risks of your instructions on
    your site might be a good idea.

    Would you knowingly allow someone you don't know to access
    your PC? Look, I've just warned people to be cautious.
    End of story no more responding in pointless banter.

    in

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005
  10. I thank you for showing me true human nature. I help hundreds of people, not
    a single one has had any negative consequence of said help, and yet you find
    the time to warn people about me?

    What did I ever do to you to justify this attack?

    Whether you like it or not, I will continue helping people.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 25, 2005
  11. Mags

    Tony Guest

    "Carey Holzman" <> wrote in message

    > I thank you for showing me true human nature. I help hundreds of people,
    > not a single one has had any negative consequence of said help, and yet
    > you find the time to warn people about me?
    >
    > What did I ever do to you to justify this attack?
    >
    > Whether you like it or not, I will continue helping people.
    >
    > Carey

    I second that Carey. I quite often flick through these newsgroups and know
    that if you are on the case the problem usually get sorted. Perhaps the OP
    should put more energy in helping rather than criticising someone who puts a
    lot of time and effort into helping others with problems.

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005
  12. As I mentioned, leave it to human nature to find something bad about
    something good, even if they have to make it up.

    Thanks, Tony. I appreciate your support.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 25, 2005
  13. Mags

    Steve Guest

    I too have checked this site out. As well meaning as it
    may be, it does create a major security risk on XP PC's.
    By all means follow the advice to get your network working
    but I agree that it is a good idea to reinstall a firewall
    and allow only your own network PC's to connect as soon as
    you have got it right.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 27, 2005