Wireless problem with host and hardware

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. I'm about to tear my hair out so hoping i can get some help.

    What has happened is i have an already established wireless network here at
    home with a host desktop and two wireless laptops. Previously with no
    problems.

    Now both laptops have lost the ability to connect to the internet and show
    no 'internet gateway' connections in network connections. But both are
    receiving strong signals from the wireless router. But with the wireless
    router not displaying the WLAN led which is always active and flashing whilst
    a connection is active, this leads me to believe it is a hardware problem,
    where the router is not producing a signal?

    I Cannot ping either computers, and the IP addresses are on Auto config and
    not assigned, yet both have signals from the router???

    Any help on how to test my hardware or perhaps someone can suggest something
    else.

    Also on a side note, when using the 'set up a home network' wizard when ever
    i attempt to assign this host computer to the desktop the wizard freezes??
    This has never been a problem, i have no hardware conflicts and no issues
    with the host as such.

    Chris
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jul 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

    Malke Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm about to tear my hair out so hoping i can get some help.
    >
    > What has happened is i have an already established wireless network here
    > at
    > home with a host desktop and two wireless laptops. Previously with no
    > problems.
    >
    > Now both laptops have lost the ability to connect to the internet and show
    > no 'internet gateway' connections in network connections. But both are
    > receiving strong signals from the wireless router. But with the wireless
    > router not displaying the WLAN led which is always active and flashing
    > whilst a connection is active, this leads me to believe it is a hardware
    > problem, where the router is not producing a signal?
    >
    > I Cannot ping either computers, and the IP addresses are on Auto config
    > and not assigned, yet both have signals from the router???
    >
    > Any help on how to test my hardware or perhaps someone can suggest
    > something else.
    >
    > Also on a side note, when using the 'set up a home network' wizard when
    > ever i attempt to assign this host computer to the desktop the wizard
    > freezes?? This has never been a problem, i have no hardware conflicts and
    > no issues with the host as such.

    First of all, if you have a router then you don't have a "host computer". At
    least you shouldn't be using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). All
    three computers should be getting their IP's and DNS automatically.
    Secondly, it does sound like your router isn't making the connection to the
    modem.

    To test, remove the cable from the modem to the router and connect the modem
    directly by ethernet cable to one of the computers. If you can now surf the
    Internet, you know the modem is working.

    Then reattach the connection from the modem to the router and the computer
    back to the router. Unplug the modem and the router and wait for about 30
    seconds to a minute. Now plug the modem back in and wait until all its
    lights are on correctly. Then plug the router back in. Testing on the
    computer that is wired to the router, do you have Internet access? If not
    (and if the WAN light is still off), replace the router.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Jul 31, 2006

  3. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'm about to tear my hair out so hoping i can get some help.
    >
    > What has happened is i have an already established wireless network here
    > at
    > home with a host desktop and two wireless laptops. Previously with no
    > problems.

    Just wondering. Have you turned the power off to the router for a good 10
    seconds then back on again? Otherwise, it sounds as if your ISP has stopped
    your account use to me.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Appologies,

    I may not have explained the situation properly,

    The wireless router is correctly connected via lan to the desktop with no
    problems, the desktop can surf the internet and is getting it's ip address
    directly.

    The laptops are not, and the WLAN led does not light up or show whatso ever.
    Wireless Local Area Network LED. Is there a way i can check the hardware to
    find out if it is broadcasting a signal, The laptops can detect a signal
    from the router but cannot connect to the internet or attain an ip, which if
    i am correct it normally one digit above, the laptops are on autoconfig ip.

    Chris
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Aug 1, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

    Malke Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > Appologies,
    >
    > I may not have explained the situation properly,
    >
    > The wireless router is correctly connected via lan to the desktop with no
    > problems, the desktop can surf the internet and is getting it's ip address
    > directly.
    >
    > The laptops are not, and the WLAN led does not light up or show whatso
    > ever.
    > Wireless Local Area Network LED. Is there a way i can check the hardware
    > find out if it is broadcasting a signal, The laptops can detect a signal
    > from the router but cannot connect to the internet or attain an ip, which
    > if i am correct it normally one digit above, the laptops are on autoconfig
    > ip.

    The answer is basically the same - power-cycle both the modem and the
    router. Swap out the cable going from the modem to the router's WAN
    (Internet) port. Does the WAN light come on? If not, then replace the
    router.

    Malke
    Malke, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Hi Chris,

    Q1. What type of hardware are you using?

    Just a point to note,
    Being able to connect to a router doesn't automatically give you access and
    allow you to the internet, you still have to be authenticated, assigned an IP
    address or allowed static one, and then allowed actual access to the
    internet VIA NAT

    Q2. Is your Access Point (AP) enabled in your router/modem hardware, either
    by IP webpage, or Via your router (Try the MAC Control List section)....?
    This will make sure your AP and only YOUR AP has access to your router.

    Q3. What is the type of authentication used?? Open, WEP, WPA, WPA2?
    Are you using Network Keys for authentication?

    It seems to me as though your Router and AP are working fine. It's just the
    configuration. Maybe LAN Settings as well on the router, I would say the AP
    is not enabled anymore in the router and that is why you have suddenly lost
    connectivity.

    Router can't give Access Point an IP -> therefore Access Point isn't
    allowing clients to retrieve IP from router.

    If more clarification is needed, just post back and inform me and i will
    follow up

    Hope this helps
    Aust-Tech

    =?Utf-8?B?QXVzdC1UZWNo?=, Aug 1, 2006
  7. "Chris" <> wrote in message

    > Appologies,
    >
    > I may not have explained the situation properly,
    >
    > The wireless router is correctly connected via lan to the desktop with no
    > problems, the desktop can surf the internet and is getting it's ip address
    > directly.
    >
    > The laptops are not, and the WLAN led does not light up or show whatso
    > ever.
    > Wireless Local Area Network LED. Is there a way i can check the hardware
    > find out if it is broadcasting a signal, The laptops can detect a signal
    > from the router but cannot connect to the internet or attain an ip, which
    > if
    > i am correct it normally one digit above, the laptops are on autoconfig
    > ip.
    >
    > Chris

    You sound like you believe your router connected computer should get an IP
    number from "Internet" or if you like - your ISP. It doesn't.

    From this description, what it sounds like to me is that your wireless
    router's AP isn't set on. Go to your router (you need to put its IP address
    in a browser to get there) and look inside at the configuration. Have your
    router handbook ready, too. Inside it, there is an option for "Access Point"
    or "AP" or possibly some other description that means, basically, to turn
    WIRELESS actually ON. By default, most devices have this OFF and you need to
    set it ON. If you haven't done this then you are getting nowhere wirelessly
    and it needs to be on. You get into the router if wireless is off obviously
    by a computer connected via a networking cable.

    See, if wireless isn't turned on, you can still hook a cable in and use it
    but not wirelessly use it and this seems to cover your problem exactly.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Aug 1, 2006