Wireless Problem in Windows XP!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by oktokie, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. oktokie

    oktokie Guest

    Wireless Problem in Windows XP!

    I am having a problem with setting up SOHO wilress
    network(Infrastructure) with following systems.

    Access Point: Buffalo Technology WBR2-G54
    Repeater: Buffalo Technology WLA-G54C
    Client Adapter: linksys-cisco Wireless-G PCI Adapter x 2 & Buffalo
    Technology WLI-PCI-G54 x 1
    Client Systems: Windows XP Pro & Home mixture.

    Here are the problem.
    1) On windows XP, I am having a problem with OS integrated wireless
    managing software.
    When I stop wireless zero configuration service on the XP then
    everything stops working!!!

    a. How does windows 2000 professional uses above client adapters? I used
    to have cisco client adapter and it came with it's own client adapter
    management tool which needed to be installed in order to set SSID + WEP
    and signal strength monitor and lots of advanced features...

    ***: reason for needing to install manufacture's utility software is
    that I am deploying INFRASTRUCTURE wifi network in the SOHO where
    everyone near that office has their own Access Point. Stupid windows XP
    is picking up other access point! See this is the problem...I want to
    lock down my clients to only one access point but this isn't possible on
    Windows XP!!! Please help!

    Is it possible to stop "wireless zero configuration service" on windows
    XP and install Windows 2000 utility to lock client into just single
    access point + infrastructure mode?

    I have configured SSID & WEP on windows XP but it keep picking up other
    OPEN access point nodes!
    Or is there's an any other way to stop my Windows XP from picking up
    OPEN access point nodes(people are stupid and left their access point
    open - there are about 10 access point found from the office)??? This
    roaming feature of XP is hurting me pretty bad. I never had this problem
    with Windows 2000 but my client's systems came preloaded with Windows XP!

    Wireless guru help needed!

    Oktokie
    oktokie, Jul 9, 2004

  2. oktokie

    JR Guest

    Don't know about the Guru...but try this:
    In the wireless config "advanced" set the preferences
    to "only connect to infrastructure"
    Disable the "automitically connect to non-prefferred
    networks"
    Make sure that your AP is the only one listed in the
    prefferred networks.
    That should do the trick !

    JR, Jul 9, 2004