Wireless Problem Dell Notebook

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by clenton@upstate.com, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi
    I have a friend that has a new Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop that is having

    a strange problem with its Wireless card.

    The Laptop is Running Windows XP Home Edition, and the Wireless Card is

    Intel ProWireless 3945

    The Card connects to our work Wireless Lan and gets assisgned an IP
    address and it can connect to other PC's / Servers on the LAN but it
    cannot connect to the internet. Other users (also Dell laptops) on the
    Wireless Lan are OK and we dont have a Proxy server or anything else
    that stops connectivity . Also if he plugs the laptop onto the Lan
    using an Ethernet cable everything is OK and the Laptop can Connect to
    the Internet.

    Has anyone seen any simular problems.

    Thanks in advance

    Chris

    , Apr 4, 2006

  2. Soundgarden

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Experienced the same problem with my new Dell Inspiron 6400.

    After numerous attempts including upgrading the wireless card driver/upgrading the firmware of my AP, I finally resolved the issue by doing the following.

    1. Uninstall existing intel pro wireless 3945 driver and install latest driver as provided on Dell support site.

    2. Change power scheme (under control panel) to maximum performance or presentation. For some reason i think the power saving options were causing issues with the wireless card.

    3. If this does not work try turning off the bluetooth radio (if installed)

    Soundgarden, Jul 5, 2006