    a wireless connection to this printer, what would I need?

    --

    09=ix
    Garrapata, Sep 3, 2006

  2. Garrapata

    FML Guest

    Garrapata wrote:
    > The most convenient place for my computer is the living room, the most
    > convenient place for my printer is the spare bedroom down the hall.
    > My computer is a wireless enabled laptop which I move to the printer
    > when I need to but because I am disabled, in a wheelchair, this is a
    > major project.
    > The printer has a USB and serial ports. Is there a convenient way to get
    > a wireless connection to this printer, what would I need?

    If your printer will support it, you can use a print server so that your
    printer becomes part of the network which you are accessing wirelessly
    from your laptop.

    Depending on the location of the printer in relationship to a
    router/switch/access point, the printer server can be attached to the
    network with a cable or it may need to be a wireless printer server
    (more expensive).

    If you describe your system more specifically, you'll get more specific
    advise (OS, printer make and model, router/switch/access point make
    model, etc). More is better.
    FML, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Garrapata

    PeeCee Guest

    "Garrapata" <> wrote in message
    > The most convenient place for my computer is the living room, the most
    > convenient place for my printer is the spare bedroom down the hall.
    > My computer is a wireless enabled laptop which I move to the printer
    > when I need to but because I am disabled, in a wheelchair, this is a
    > major project.
    > The printer has a USB and serial ports. Is there a convenient way to get
    > a wireless connection to this printer, what would I need?
    >
    > --
    >
    > 09=ix

    Garrapata

    As FML says you could try a Wireless Print server, eg
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=38

    Or if the budget can stretch to it, the new Canon iP5200R has Wireless built
    in.

    For both the usual limits on Wireless networking apply (range, interference
    etc)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Garrapata

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Garrapata wrote:
    > The most convenient place for my computer is the living room, the most
    > convenient place for my printer is the spare bedroom down the hall.
    > My computer is a wireless enabled laptop which I move to the printer
    > when I need to but because I am disabled, in a wheelchair, this is a
    > major project.
    > The printer has a USB and serial ports. Is there a convenient way to get
    > a wireless connection to this printer, what would I need?

    You got a wire/wireless router? If have one then get a wire print
    server, plug it into the router and plug the printer into the print
    server. Wired and wireless machines using the router will be able to
    print to the printer, because the printer is connected to print server
    and the print server is connected to the router.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Garrapata

    Lao Tseu Guest

    On 2006-09-03 22:36:46 +0200, Garrapata <> said:

    > The most convenient place for my computer is the living room, the most
    > convenient place for my printer is the spare bedroom down the hall.
    > My computer is a wireless enabled laptop which I move to the printer
    > when I need to but because I am disabled, in a wheelchair, this is a
    > major project. The printer has a USB and serial ports. Is there a
    > convenient way to get
    > a wireless connection to this printer, what would I need?

    Why don't you try an Apple airport express base ?
    You just have to plug it to your usb printer then you can share it with
    any wireless computer.
    It works with mac Os and windows XP/2000
    Lao Tseu, Sep 4, 2006
  6. Garrapata

    Dustin Guest

    In article <>, ****-you.ya.****@kiss-my-big-
    black-ass.com says...
    > "FML" <> wrote in message
    > > Garrapata wrote:
    > >> The most convenient place for my computer is the living room, the most
    > >> convenient place for my printer is the spare bedroom down the hall.
    > >> My computer is a wireless enabled laptop which I move to the printer
    > >> when I need to but because I am disabled, in a wheelchair, this is a
    > >> major project. The printer has a USB and serial ports. Is there a
    > >> convenient way to get
    > >> a wireless connection to this printer, what would I need?
    > >>

    > > If your printer will support it<BITCHSLAP>

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You fuckwitted ****.
    >
    > Almost every non-network-capable printer can be shared on the network merely
    > by plugging it into a pc where either a) the drivers support sharing, or b)
    > the printer is given a virtual port, which is then shared, is true.

    Almost isn't every printer, Kshit...

    --
    Dustin Cook
    Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool
    Dustin, Sep 4, 2006