    Can I print to the printer from my laptop without connecting my printer's
    USB cable to my laptop? Is there some device that I can hook my printer to
    that will allow my laptop to send a print job to?

    John Kreidler, Mar 3, 2007

  2. John  Kreidler

    Barb Bowman Guest

    this wireless print server http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=482
    will let you setup an aad hoc connection between your laptop and the
    printer provided the printer is supported. There is a list of
    compatible printers at
    http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=482&rid=1848&sec=0
    although I found it supported a printer I have that is not listed.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 3, 2007

  3. John  Kreidler

    Lem Guest

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > this wireless print server http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=482
    > will let you setup an aad hoc connection between your laptop and the
    > printer provided the printer is supported. There is a list of
    > compatible printers at
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=482&rid=1848&sec=0
    > although I found it supported a printer I have that is not listed.
    >
    > On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:06:22 GMT, "John Kreidler"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In my previous post, I don't think I was very clear in my desire to print
    >>from my laptop via wireless connection.
    >> Let's assume I do not have a network or even internet access at home. I do
    >> have a laptop with 801.11 b/g. I also have a USB printer. My question is:
    >> Can I print to the printer from my laptop without connecting my printer's
    >> USB cable to my laptop? Is there some device that I can hook my printer to
    >> that will allow my laptop to send a print job to?
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    Or, for about $50 more than the wireless print server, you can buy an hp
    6980 printer that has wireless B/G support built in (as well as wired
    network and USB):
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328073-468002.html

    Note that you can buy either device for about $15-$20 less than MSRP if
    you look around on the net.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Mar 3, 2007
  4. John  Kreidler

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Vista support for this printer is "basic functionality only"
    according to the HP web site. So for anyone using or intending to
    use Vista, that is something to consider. (Of course lots of other
    printers old and new aren't fully supported either, but..)

    Barb Bowman, Mar 3, 2007
  5. John  Kreidler

    Lem Guest

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Vista support for this printer is "basic functionality only"
    > according to the HP web site. So for anyone using or intending to
    > use Vista, that is something to consider. (Of course lots of other
    > printers old and new aren't fully supported either, but..)
    >
    > On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:04:59 -0500, Lem <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or, for about $50 more than the wireless print server, you can buy an hp
    >> 6980 printer that has wireless B/G support built in (as well as wired
    >> network and USB):
    >> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328073-468002.html

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    Thanks for the info. I haven't even started to think about moving to
    Vista yet. There do seem to be a few folks on the hp forums having
    difficulty with this printer and Vista, notwithstanding hp's assertion
    that it is "Certified for Windows Vista(TM)."
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Mar 3, 2007