Wireless printing, Wired internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jack, Dec 23, 2008.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    A friend just asked me to help him setup his new wireless network printer.

    Normally when I setup a wireless printer I use the "infra-structure" model.
    IE I create a wireless network using a wireless router, wirelessly connect
    the printer to the router and provide wireless internet and wireless printer
    connection to the computer from the router.

    I've got a little bit different situation this time. Internet access to the
    PC is provided via WIRED cable modem to the PC. The coax cable, modem and
    router are
    already located next to the PC (and this is OK and desirable), the wireless
    printer is going to go into a closet across the room. So what I want to do
    is provide WIRED internet access and WIRELESS printer access.

    Will having two active network cards (one wired and one wireless) cause
    problem?

    What is the best way to achieve what he wants? Just keep all hardwired
    settings as is, and create an "ad-hoc" network between printer and wireless
    card (without a router)?

    Thanks for your thoughts

    Jack, Dec 23, 2008

  2. Hi
    The best way is to get inexpensive Wireless Cable DSL/Router. Connect it to
    the current Router configured as a Switch with an Access Point.
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Then connect the printer to the Wireless Access Point using the regular
    Infar Structure Mode.
    An inexpensive Wireless Router is Not much more expensive than a Wireless
    Card.
    This is a very good device (only $19.99 after rebate),
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 24, 2008

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Thanks for your post.
    If I understand you correctly basically I'm leaving the wired internet
    alone, connecting the wireless router to my hardwired router and using it
    just as an WAP for the printer and setting up the printer in an
    infra-structure topology.

    Jack, Dec 24, 2008
  4. Hi
    Yes your are basically right.
    Optionally many people replace the wire router with the wireless to save
    space and cable cluttering. However, it is a choice not a must.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\), Dec 24, 2008
  5. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Thanks

    Jack, Dec 24, 2008