    printer, but still nothing will print.
    I do the same thing from an XP wireless laptop & have no problem.
    What is wrong with this picture?!?!?

    Mike, Aug 17, 2009

  2. Mike

    Lem Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I have anSBC Yahoo DSL connection, a Linksys WRT110 connected to the modem,
    > an XP desktop connected via ethernet cable & a vista laptop connecting via
    > wireless.
    > I want to be able to share a printer connected to the desktop & print to it
    > from the laptop.
    > This should work, right?
    > Both computers are in the MSHOME workgroup, but don't 'see' each other.
    > What am I missing?
    > Neither computer has a firewall turned on.
    > I have tried adding printer to vista laptop as a local printer & then
    > re-mapping as a network printer & it doesn't work.
    > I at least am getting a 'problem communicating with the printer' error
    > message to pop up on the vista laptop.
    > I can type \\mycomputer\printer from vista laptop & a box will open for the
    > printer, but still nothing will print.
    > I do the same thing from an XP wireless laptop & have no problem.
    > What is wrong with this picture?!?!?

    Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP box? Note that this turns
    the Windows firewall on configured for file and printer sharing.

    You said that there were no firewalls active; note that some antivirus
    apps may act like a firewall without using that name (e.g., Norton
    Internet worm protection).

    Take a look here:
    and ensure that you have identical user accounts and passwords on all of
    the computers.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: