    have to do some setup in Control Panel?

    I'm using Win XP Pro sp 3

    The instructions in here manual are kind of greek to me.

    kyle2@;asweo.com, Aug 12, 2010

  2. kyle2@;asweo.com

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:19:24 -0500, kyle2 wrote:

    > My wife has a wireless printer, and I want my comp to be able to print
    > to her printer. Yes, I do have the wireless antennas on the back of my
    > comp. I know you can't give detailed instructions, but do I have to
    > load the printer software from her CD onto my machine? Or do I merely
    > have to do some setup in Control Panel?
    >
    > I'm using Win XP Pro sp 3
    >
    > The instructions in here manual are kind of greek to me.

    Google has a great Greek to English translator.

    Meat Plow, Aug 12, 2010

  3. kyle2@;asweo.com

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:19:24 -0500, kyle2 wrote:
    >
    >> My wife has a wireless printer, and I want my comp to be able to print
    >> to her printer. Yes, I do have the wireless antennas on the back of my
    >> comp. I know you can't give detailed instructions, but do I have to
    >> load the printer software from her CD onto my machine? Or do I merely
    >> have to do some setup in Control Panel?
    >>
    >> I'm using Win XP Pro sp 3
    >>
    >> The instructions in here manual are kind of greek to me.

    > Google has a great Greek to English translator.

    LOL

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Aug 12, 2010
  4. kyle2@;asweo.com

    John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > My wife has a wireless printer, and I want my comp to be able to print
    > to her printer. Yes, I do have the wireless antennas on the back of my
    > comp. I know you can't give detailed instructions, but do I have to
    > load the printer software from her CD onto my machine? Or do I merely
    > have to do some setup in Control Panel?
    >
    > I'm using Win XP Pro sp 3
    >
    > The instructions in here manual are kind of greek to me.

    Obviously, someone configured your wife's PC to print to her wireless
    printer, right? Ask him (or her).

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Aug 12, 2010
  5. On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:26:48 -0500, Grinder <>
    wrote:

    >On 8/12/2010 3:52 PM, Jordon wrote:
    >> kyle2@;asweo.com wrote:
    >>> My wife has a wireless printer, and I want my comp to be able to print
    >>> to her printer. Yes, I do have the wireless antennas on the back of my
    >>> comp. I know you can't give detailed instructions, but do I have to
    >>> load the printer software from her CD onto my machine? Or do I merely
    >>> have to do some setup in Control Panel?

    >> Just do to your computer what she did to hers, when she set
    >> up her printer.

    >This would be bad advice if the printer is connected to her computer
    >with a USB cable.

    Hers is connected with an USB cable.

    I tried installing the CD software, but the entire software
    installation is written for a savvy user or an IT tech. I'm sure they
    could do it in 10 minutes. Brother wrote the manual for exactly
    those two kinds of people. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue even
    how to answer the myriad of questions in the setup regarding the type
    of network to setup or anything else they ask. I do have a DSL modem
    and did not want to screw up the WEP or WPA Key stuff for the network
    used by the modem by my not understanding the steps Brother wants me
    to go through.

    What gets me ticked is that I'm sure once shown the way to do it, it's
    simple as heck. That's what I've learned from fighting a problem with
    other manuals. Once shown, one sees how slanted toward the pros many
    manuals are.

    Thanks to all who answered. I'm sorry your time was wasted.

    kyle2@;asweo.com, Aug 15, 2010
  6. kyle2@;asweo.com

    M.L. Guest

    >It really is not that difficult to put the printer onto the network so
    >that each computer can use it, without any one computer having to be on
    >to serve that printer.
    >
    > To start, you would need to explictly describe
    >your network:
    >
    >1) What is the make and model of your (A)DSL modem?
    >
    >2) Do you have a router? What is its make and model?
    >
    >3) How is your wife's computer connected to the network? With a wire,
    >or wirelessly?
    >
    >4) How is your computer connected to the network? With a wire, or
    >wirelessly?
    >
    >5) What is the make and model of your printer?

    I'd find it odd if the OP never mentioned the make and model of the
    printer since many printers with difficult wireless configurations
    have step-by-step tutorials online.

    M.L., Aug 16, 2010