Wireless printer problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim Slager, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2 notebook, and
    an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of the blue, I am unable
    to print and get the following message:

    "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be
    caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being
    connected to a VPN, which will block you access to the local network. Your
    document will print when the printer becomes available."

    None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print from the
    notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from the desktop whether
    the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP addresses.

    The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
    192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do "ping -a
    192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510 [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes
    of data:" which is the same as I get when I ping the printer. Is my desktop
    confused about IP addresses and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP?
    Or is the -a option just flaky?

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Jim Slager, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Jim Slager

    TheSurgeon Guest

    "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
    > I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2 notebook,

    and
    > an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of the blue, I am

    unable
    > to print and get the following message:
    >
    > "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be
    > caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or

    being
    > connected to a VPN, which will block you access to the local network.

    Your
    > document will print when the printer becomes available."
    >
    > None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print from

    the
    > notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from the desktop

    whether
    > the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP addresses.
    >
    > The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
    > 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do "ping -a
    > 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510 [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes
    > of data:" which is the same as I get when I ping the printer. Is my

    desktop
    > confused about IP addresses and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP?
    > Or is the -a option just flaky?
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system should
    be working.

    TheSurgeon, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    Thanks, How about this:

    I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
    starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP Configuration
    Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.

    I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that it won't
    recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?

    Jim Slager, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Jim Slager

    TheSurgeon Guest

    If the subnet mas is 255.255.255.0 there shouldn't be a problem.

    TheSurgeon, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    Surgeon, thanks for your help. But I have set the printer at static IP and
    the problem persists. I will try working with HP.

    Jim Slager, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Hi Jim:
    I have had the same problem since downloading sevice pack 2 for xp
    (somethingI swore I would not do until updates have been out for at least a
    year) on my desktop and my laptop. My IT geek at work has had the same
    problem and cannot get an answer. I have e-mailed support and not received an
    answer.
    Have you had any success since your last post?
    Any help would be appreciated. The only way I can print is to attach a cable
    directly to my HP printer.
    Thaks,
    Don

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmlzaGVhZA==?=, Dec 12, 2004