    I don't know if the problem is router, vista, cable, printer.

    Where would an expert advise me to start looking?

    thanks

    JohnA, Dec 3, 2009

  2. Your printer may be getting it's IP address (network address) from the
    router using a service called the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
    (DHCP).

    With DHCP the router "leases" IP addresses to various network nodes
    (laptops, printers, etc.) for a period of time (maybe 24 hours).

    Ordinarily network nodes renew the same address. But there could be a mix-up
    sometime.

    Your router probably has a setup feature called "DHCP reservation". This can
    be used to tell the router to reserve a particular IP address for a node
    like a printer. Try using that feature.

    There could be other problems, but using DHCP reservation would eliminate at
    least one potential gotcha.

    Thomas F. Divine

    Thomas F. Divine, Dec 3, 2009

  3. Hi
    As said above in simple way. Devices thta are static on the Network and used
    by the Network computers should be configured with a Static IP.
    In addition log to the Router and make sure that there is a Valid Wireless
    connection between the Router and the Printer.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 4, 2009
  4. JohnA

    kevin_techno

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    NY
    Open the Start menu and click on the "Printers and Faxes" icon. This will open a window with a list of the printers currently set up on your computer.

    Double-click on the icon of the printer you want to change to online. A pop-up window detailing all current print jobs will open.

    Go to Printer in the menu bar of the pop-up window and uncheck "Use Printer Offline." This action will change the printer from offline to online.

    kevin_techno, Aug 18, 2010