    connections.

    --
    Peter
    Peter A, Jan 22, 2009

  2. Peter A

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 22, 8:33 pm, Peter A <> wrote:
    > My home network is a combination of wired/wireless based on a LinkSys
    > router. I want to move 2 printers to a location where it is not feasible
    > to string ethernet cables. I have heard of wireless printer solutions
    > but they seem to be touchy and hard to get working right. Does anyone
    > know of a reliable and fairly easy way to do this? I have a Brother
    > laser printer and an Epson inkjet, both have USB and ethernet
    > connections.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    If the printers did not original come with some type of wireless or
    the manufacturers does not offer/recommend a wireless network module,
    most other wireless add on can cause problem.
    smlunatick, Jan 22, 2009

  3. Peter A

    Lem Guest

    Peter A wrote:
    > My home network is a combination of wired/wireless based on a LinkSys
    > router. I want to move 2 printers to a location where it is not feasible
    > to string ethernet cables. I have heard of wireless printer solutions
    > but they seem to be touchy and hard to get working right. Does anyone
    > know of a reliable and fairly easy way to do this? I have a Brother
    > laser printer and an Epson inkjet, both have USB and ethernet
    > connections.

    If your printers really have Ethernet connections, then the solution is
    to get a driverless wireless game adapter, such as the DLink DWL-G820.
    Unfortunately, these are not the cheapest home wifi products. These
    devices essentially replace a length of Ethernet cable with the wifi
    link; if you already are using the printers over the network, the change
    to using one of these should be transparent.

    The alternative to the above is a USB wireless print server. I haven't
    checked prices on these, but they are probably at least as expensive as
    the game adapters. Further, these devices are sometimes not compatible
    with certain printers, and typically will not permit any functions that
    require 2-way communication between the printer and the computer (e.g.,
    printer status messages).

    Because you have two printers, a less expensive solution would be to get
    an old Broadcom-based wireless router on eBay (e.g., Linksys WRT54G
    version 4 or earlier; newer models can also be used, but with some
    restrictions*), flash it with DD-WRT firmware
    (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php) and set it up as a wireless
    bridge. This will permit you to connect up to 4 network-ready devices
    that will then be wirelessly linked to your main router. I currently
    have both a Slingbox and a TiVo connected to the Internet via such a
    bridge, and have had no problems for going on 2 years now.

    * DD-WRT compatible hardware:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP